MLB 2018 - Hope for a 7-game WS so they'll play on Halloween

Also - why the pitcher is the weak link in a rundown…

I wish we have a “like” button. Since I am surrounded at work by Cubs fans, I could not have loved that more.

Just for you Jason

Screw you Craig

I am unable to see the video (old browser), but is it the run down with the Cubs and Brewers from yesterday, where Cain points at the second base bag and then retreats to an uncovered first base?

Sorry, not sorry.

Nope, it’s a mic’ed up umpire from the first series after Utley broke Tejada’s leg in the previous year’s playoffs. Syndergaard threw behind him and gets tossed. Terry Collins goes apeshit.

Great stuff. Can’t find a direct link at the moment. Seems to be hosted by Twitter.

Ump handled it like a champ. Let Collins vent like crazy, kept him in the game.

n/m charmtrap has the context covered!

Youtube link (of the incident…still no youtube link of the mic incident that I can find):

EDIT: Ah here we go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=potpVc45fuM

Ditto.

I’m not sure if this is paywalled (I’m a subscriber) but this Jason Stark piece is fascinating food for thought while we wait out pitching changes.

This is a pretty hilarious moment in a dismal Cardinals season so far.

Cardinals played in San Diego a few weeks back. One of the Padres coaches is Skip Schumaker, who came up through the Cardinals organization and was on the team for years, and a favorite with fans and teammates. Skip’s good people.

Anyway, he and former teammate and injured St. Louis pitcher Adam Wainwright are buddies going back to playing together in the minors. So when the Cardinals were in town, apparently Skip ordered most of the breakfast menu at the Cardinals hotel to be sent to Wainwright’s room. At 6:15 in the morning. :D

Waintwright apparently just got Skip back, and it is brutal. Waino some how got access to Schumaker’s entire road clothes wardrobe (the Padres are on a roadtrip that takes them to Atlanta this weekend) and, uh, did this:

That’s a regular white RL Polo shirt. That now has Wainwright’s name and number on the back. And Wainwright’s number on the butt of Schumaker’s black dress slacks. Apparently all of Schu’s clothes got that treatment…

Evan Longoria: broken hand. No timetable for return.

In case you were wondering why the Terry Collins videos disappeared:

How many times does Syndergaard have to deliberately throw at batters before he’s rightfully regarded as a head hunter?

More than two, obviously.

Well, he wasn’t head hunting in the video above. The pitch was hip level and far enough behind the batter that the batter didn’t even need to react to it.

As for the video you show, even the announcers (Reynolds notably) has nothing wrong with that pitch.

While I don’t remember the names, I have seen pitchers throw behind hitters and do it at head level, which should get them a months suspension.

Over the years, I’ve seen all kinds of player injuries resulting from mundane tasks, but this is a new one:

Awesome - this pairs well with my other closer breaking his own hand after a horrific blown save (Strickland in SF.) The best part is that they rested Morrow about 10 days ago during a save op, then he basically spent 8 or 9 days on the bench while they waiting for the next one. And now this.

Side note: saving closers for ‘save situations’ remains dumb.

I think most anyone over a certain age has experienced tweaking their back from pretty much any mundane movement. It’s not the particular activity, it’s just the nature of walking upright using a mechanical system originally engineered to make swimming more efficient.