Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate: Quarpurr to Three Thread

This has gotten its claws into me hard, to the point that I was up until Qt3 last night one-more-hunt-ing it, and even then couldn’t fall asleep for thinking about palico builds.

I’ve done a handful of online quests, but am mostly working my way through the villages – currently close to wrapping up 3*. I’ve at least dabbled with every weapon, but have been putting the most time into Charge Blade (such a satisfying rhythm), Bow, and Bomber Prowler.

Good stuff! I got it a while back but never really progressed far. I did also play it on 3DS though. Your enthusiasm is tempting me to jump back in!

Samewise, infectious enthusiasm!

I got the game, since it is 50% again. It is the first MH I play since Monster Hunter Portable 2G, and while i felt very comfortable, being back in that warm blanket of just positive monster skinning, when I went through the tutorial and experienced the fighting, it was quite something else! So many new things, I am overloaded with joy.
I had to post because I just tried the aerial style for the first time (with a great sword, mind you), and wow, that was so different than anything I remember playing! Yet it wasn’t a twitchy action game either.
I am really amazed. Even simply learning the new styles is getting my blood pumping. I think I am even more appreciative of the game (I remember thinking it was a bit sluggish, back then), probably because Dark Souls has since taught me so many things about timing and patience.
This game is just epic. I can’t believe I dismissed it because of the load screens a few months ago.
Also the English texts are really great.

Glad to hear it! It’s eaten up almost all of my playtime over the last month and a half (currently up to 8* village quests), and I still feel like I’ve only scratched the surface of all the different weapon/style combos, and how they interact with the monsters.

Thanks for sharing those Gaijin Hunter videos in that other thread: they are a tremendous help to grasp the more complex new styles.

Oh my, tear jerking moment when I could travel to my good old house in the Pokke village. Makes me regret to not be able to appreciate the other villages that way!

Just rolled the credits on this one. What a great game!

I hope it never ends right now. I am in such a groove compared to how I was playing 10 years ago.

I tip my hat off to you, sir. Thank you again for showing me the way!

It certainly doesn’t have to! I’m at 130-odd hours after a couple months of solid play, and there’s still tons and tons of stuff I haven’t done yet (various optional village quests, the 10* hunts including a few brand new monsters, the entire parallel progression designed for multiplayer in the Hunters’ Hub, and lots of weapons/styles that I tried but haven’t come close to mastering yet). I’m feeling ready for a break, and some of the downtimes and interface niggles are starting to grate, but I could easily see myself diving right back in in a few months, and I’m excited to play MHW once I build my new PC.

I’ve dabbled with the genre a few times before (MH3, Soul Sacrifice, and Toukiden), but this is the first time it truly clicked. Really glad I took a chance on it, and glad that I was able to help inspire you to do the same!

I have just started (after 30 hours, sounds about right) to test other styles for the single weapon I have been using, Sword and Shield — I check my MonHun 2P manual, and that’s one of the many weapons wasn’t even available back then, although vanilla it may seem!

Sword and Shield Striker was horrible for me: it was taking away one of my favourite Guild style moves, the back step followed by a shield charge.
Sword and Shield Aerial was fun, but seemed to be very monster dependent, and also sort of plain… I think I am not understanding some of the things you can do with it.
Sword and Shield Adept is so awesome I haven’t even found it in me to try Alchemy or Valor yet: it’s everything I love about the Striker style, plus a super handy X+A, and the evade counter strikes are so versatile and rewarding the more you grasp a monster’s patterns.
I am going to focus on that one for a while, but all those Charge Blade posts in the thread got me intrigued. @Chappers was very good with it, too.

Was that the one I used by accident? Much preferred the SwitchAxe. Shame I didn’t really like the game ;)

You can’t enjoy the best game ever before your 50th hour! Show some commitment: when you’ll be 30 you’ll be too busy with work and family!

Every time I tried a Striker style, I didn’t like it. Their thing is simplifying the moveset and taking away useful options in exchange for an extra hunter art and faster hunter art meter growth, and that trade never felt appealing to me.

Also wasn’t really a fan of Alchemy, but that was because it seemed focused on supporting other people in multiplayer, which I wasn’t doing.

The other four styles were all fun on various weapons though.

24 hours later I am loving Sword and Shield adept so much.
It’s like guild style and aerial style had a child with Street Fighter 3. So much fun!

I have started fiddling with the bow this week (in Adept style, because I like that mechanic so much), and I have been surprised at how fine I am doing. Arguably, I’m still not fighting real monsters — although I have started meeting them, and they are formidable beasts, and the game is so good at building up the tension like a good horror movie, and I will end this sentence here.
One thing I am pretty sure I am doing wrong though is using the special ammos. I tend to empty them one at a time, and I get the feeling they should be applied alternatively — excepting for power ones. If any bow user can enlighten me.

I just met (and defeated) my first LR Glavenus and… wow. That was on a class of its own. Awesome beast.

One of my favorite monsters. I can not wait to face him in Iceborne.

My turn! I cleared the err… storyline after 150-ish hours.
Not going to stop anytime soon. I wonder if I’ll ever stop. There are so many aspects to the learning process that makes the game such comfort hardcore action food, to the point you seemingly develop a sixth sense as to when a monster is going to finch, when she’s going to yell or when she’s going to die.
So far my primary gripe is with the Primal (teehee) Forest and its verticality, which doesn’t work well with the game. I avoid hunting there as much as I can.

Just captured my first Hyper monster. Whew.
This is so cool they manage to make the plainer monsters menacing again with this. Although I confess that being one shot by a Mizutsune’s water lance came as a surprise.
The post “story” game High content is so hard too. I shiver thinking about what to expect from G rank.

I’m on a break, but found back the single monster takedown that I saved (and was totally done on purpose).

(with the participation of @Chappers’ Palico)