Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Monster Hunter: World ran a PS4-exclusive open beta over the weekend. World is slated to hit PC in early- to mid-2018, so Monster Hunter enthusiasts Steven and Austin went hunting together to find out what PC gamers can expect.

If it’s that soon, I might just wait. I have a gaming PC. There would be little too no risk with me picking it up for a system I have several friends I can play with on. I am not picturing how this would work with KB and M, but hey, could really make me happy or… i have a controller.

I’m not sure I’d take that as gospel just yet, as nothing’s been announced and that’s a rather casual reveal without any sources backing it.

And after all, they’re just playing the PS4 demo like everyone else so not like they have any special access.

I hope it is soon though!

There’s another PS4 beta coming up this weekend:

22nd December 5pm GMT/6pm CET/9am PST
to
26th December 5pm GMT/6pm CET/9am PST

The layabouts at Sony USA haven’t updated the store for it yet. Just a preload, so no rush.

Oh, and the big news is this one doesn’t require PS+.

Monster Hunter games have always had time limits. That’s normal, and like someone said above, it is a “gate” on your equipment… hunts can easily take around 20-30 minutes depending on your experience level, but if you are timing out, you are either at the very end of teh game doing difficult hunting quests or you are underleveled for that quest. it’s also possible that you are bad / slow at killing monsters, which is fine.

anyway, the time limit is almost never a thing to worry about and is likely not going away. for anyone who is saying that combat feels clunky, if you are new to monster hunter, that’s just the way the combat is. you can’t spam skills or attack willy nilly whenever you want to. You just don’t understand the whole weapon and how its used, most likely… they can be complicated and rather involved to learn.

I don’t know about world, but in MHG and MH4 there are a lot of indications of how well you are hitting. if blood spurts out thats a crit or a weak spot. each part of the monster has different resistences and takes more / less damage from certain types of weapons. For example, longsword does cutting damage which is more effective against the tail. Hammer does blunt damage which is more effective against the head to stun it, etc. monster hunter is really amazing, to me, because they don’t just tell you any of this stuff in the UI. you don’t know how much health it has left until you cut the tail off, or until it gets stunned.

I see the PC version is not out until Autumn 2018 which is a fair wait.

Well that sucks.

I tried the demo last week.

Better than expected. Not enough to get me to bite.

That’s a long time to spend ‘optimising’, as they say they’re now doing. They’d want to hope that thing releases polished as hell and running like greased lightning.

Guess it’s the PS4 version for me then. And who am I kidding, probably the PC version as well, later. :(

I’ve got too many games to play, I don’t mind waiting as long as it is fully polished on release.

yeah I will Xbox 1 it and then double dip on the PC as well.

Well I took the plunge and pre-ordered for PS4. I’ll crack open my PS4 skin this weekend and call it good. It’s very likely I’ll get the PC version next year and play with my phone group. I’ll probably have some fun no matter what.

Well I’ve played the beta a bit, and I am happy with my pre-order. I still love the Switch Axe, so will probably stick with that.

My biggest challenge is II don’t know the PS4 controller at all. It told me at some point to hit the R3 button, and I had to ignore it. I had no idea where the R3 was until I looked it up afterward. I still killed it though and his little friends too.

I know the monsters get significantly harder and the same one expands attacks later on, but I’m liking it.

The tracking thing I am… indifferent too. It seems weird it’s throwing me green trails while I am looking at it. I think I’d prefer if it did the green trails only if I paused… I mean I don’t need help, I can see it’s tail as it scurries away.

Yeah I really wish you could turn off (or at least down) those scout fly trails. It’s so in-your-face and unneccesary. As a concept it’s handy since with the increased geometry it’s much harder navigating the map than it was on 3DS, but they’ve gone overboard.

Apart from that, I think I’m going to love this. :)

Me too.

The time thing I can manage I think, and hopefully it is longer for most. Even with 20 minutes I did okay. 50 would have let me practice longer on the little things… I mean I don’t know a PS4 controller at all. I unpacked the machine last week and just loaded apps and played music and vides. Beta was my first real game. I’ll have to do single-player for awhile because I am going to screw up a lot until I get used to the controls and the weird way consoles circle the camera…otherwise I can adjust.

I don’t really get bored with games I like so when PC comes around, and if none of the friends and family pick up the PS4, I’ll enjoy it with them again just fine.

I will say, even on a non-pro machine, the game looks very beautiful.

I would say that the 20 minute time limit is a demo/beta thing as the vast majority of missions in the previous games default to 50 minutes. 50 always felt about right to me, as I could take my time yet also feel a bit of a urgency on occasional hunts when not quite equipped well enough.

You’ll get used to the controller in no time! Hopefully quick enough to be able to turn off those huge control prompts (which I assume the settings allow you to do)… I play it single player a lot and in the past the early quests have a nice gentle ramp-up. Lots of map exploring and gathering. And there’s always the training option which lets you try out all weapons in a safe area.

I only played the first hunt during the betas (played it a few times, and also played with the weapons in the training area), as I really want to go in kind of fresh, start from the early gathering quests, not spoil too much, not get too much of this bonus equipment they’re giving out during beta. :)

Yeah I will eventually. The last modern console I had was wii and even the classic controller seems simpler in comparison to this. I have X-Box like controllers for Steam Link and games ported to PC, but none of those really prompt anything outside the controller.

I’ll know when I have the controller down better when I ignore the prompts because I’ll just know what to do. Since there are so many more weapons, i’ll also play with the other ones too, but I like the versatility of the switch axe and just need to hit the right button when it’s on it’s back or belly to get the stronger strikes. I keep wanting X as the attack button.

Looks like Great Jargas is new so that was fun to learn how a new monster moves, although I know later he’ll do something a lot more damaging. It reminded me of what i like about the game the most, challenging battles that has tells, like after a while you can read what it’s like to do based on what you see, and the battles are not umm manic but they are quick and you have to respond. I don’t know, it’s got what I liked about Tri and more. I’m glad I got the console for this. I’m sure it will be the first of many PS4 games to come… now to get a recliner or something for the living room.

I really wish they had made this cross platform. It’s not an FPS or really a button masher… it could have worked.

Come on Friday! I sprung for the digital deluxe version just because I love these games so much, well that plus I like knowing I’ll never have to worry about swapping the disk in and I’m a sucker for more outfits! Just put in notice with work that I’m taking a personal day on Friday.

Sword and shield felt really good during the beta, but I’m itching to really get in and try out Hammer and Lance at the very least. There’s always great sword! Will probably start out with working on some single player, but would love some group hunts for sure.

Shellfishguy on PSN! I know @merryprankster and I will be on this treadmill for quite awhile.

Any news on what the Xbox version is like compared to the PS version? Not like I have a choice which version to get but be nice to know the Xbox version isn’t going to be substandard compared to the ps4 version.

Greatsword for life baby!

Can’t wait for Friday. I have a Dr. Appointment in the afternoon, but out side that silly wellness nonsense I expect to be hunting Dinos all day!