Monster Hunter World!!!!!

I wasn’t a claw stan or anything but I don’t get the hate either. I know I didn’t use it as effectively as I could but still was able to do what I wanted in the game. The monsters still died.

Knowing nothing about what the claw is (I haven’t really looked much at Iceborne when I bought it a long time ago) what does it do and why does it change the flow?

I’m going to assume it’s a similar love it or hate it thing that exists with wirebugs in Rise though.

It basically adds two extra moves. One that can be used to make the attacked body parts temporary weak spots, and one that can be used to do a ton of damage and stun the monster by banging it on a wall.

The problem is that neither of the moves is all that interesting to execute, but especially the wall bang is just too good to be treated as optional. Using it will cut like 25% out of the hunt.

So, I’m very confused right now.

Started Iceborne, got to Barioth and got destroyed all 3 times. I came to the conclusion I need better evade gear (and partbreaker but those aren’t relevant to this story).

I got 2 notches of evade extender, and I see the Jagras chest piece will give me the last level of it plus 2 levels of attack, which is great!

Twice now I’ve done master ranked investigations to capture a great Jagras to get Jagras Shards. I know for a fact that it showed me getting multiple Jagras Shards in the rewards screen. I do Take All, run to the smith and it still claims I have zero Jagras Shards.

I also can’t find a way to see a list of all monster materials I have so I don’t even know of a way to figure out if I’m just misreading something or what.

Are you sure you’re not collecting Great Jagras Shards?

Oh man, classic.

… Damnit

you guys gotta try the ICE community patch mod. they kinda fixed all of these issues that people thought made iceborne bad

How does that even work? The game is essentially an mmo

you can check it out here: GitHub - AsteriskAmpersand/Ice-Stable: Ice Stable Release Channel

basically you can always use any mod online in MHW, even game breaking ones. But this mod in particular has found some way to do matchmaking with only other users of the mod. if you want to play with others though it works perfectly well, because it mostly modifies move chains and numbers. but usually modders suggest you don’t play with those who haven’t consented to it.

I particularly love the changes to the gunlance. adding a guard point to quick reload has made it ridiculously fun

Barioth is the Iceborn equivalent for Anjanath in base MHW, in that it’s the first "ok, let’s get real now’ fight. It is a wall, but you’ll get past it now, since you posted here. ;)

Barioth is really getting annoying.

I’m fine with his aggressiveness. I’ve gotten pretty good at predicting his attacks and knowing when to back off and when to risk my own aggressiveness. But his tail swipe is just absolutely ridiculously long, and the way he chains together attacks sometimes means I spend half the fight dodging and running out of the way.

Which would be fine but he seems to have a stupid high amount of health. Even with Part Breaker 1 it takes me forever to get some of his parts broken enough that he starts stumbling (though I’ve yet to manage getting his tail severed). I timed out one time at 50 minutes and fainted one time too many at 42 minutes another time. It’s all frustrating.

I’m geared up, with all MR gear, ice resistance, gear maximizing evade extender and evade window. I can’t see any way it’s a gear issue, just ends up being a game of attrition.

I’m assuming what I’m missing is proper clutch claw usage, but ugh. For starters the fact that blasting him into a wall uses all slinger ammo, and it’s not easy to refill while the fight is going on. Getting a chance to even use the clutch claw to soften is hard because he doesn’t seem to flinch easily (and thus it ends up wasted). By the time I get him clutch clawed I’m not always near a wall or have slinger ammo to ram him forward, and the softening mechanic is so opaque I have no idea how it’s even helping me.

Lastly, while playing the switch axe the side hop is so so annoying. When I see him about to do a hip check I try to evade and do a tiny hop. A full evade would have gotten me out of range but the hop causes me to get thrown down. Sure I could do a full evade by waiting until my animation is done and then evading, but by then it’s too late too.

I think this fight is going to cause me to put a cap in World.

Barioth has always been one of the toughest fights in Monster Hunter. I’ve grown to enjoy the challenge, but there have certainly been some “want to throw the controller” moments with that fight over the years.

Honestly Clutch Claw is terrible and I hate it.

Icebourne was so cool except for one major problem: Clutch Claw. Everything has mountains of health because Clutch Claw exists and the game assumes (ie forces) you to use it to weaken the enemies. Many hunts can’t be done without proper Clutch Claw usage because if the enemy isn’t on the ground or softened so you do extra damage, you’ll run out of time.

I got to Ruiner and stopped playing because I never really got the hang of Clutch Claw and didn’t really like the gimmick of it.

I’m hoping MH6 (or World 2 or whatever) doesn’t have some lame gimmick. I want my methodical monster fighting back. Not ramming stuff into walls and grappling onto things so my weapon actually hurts them.

And Barioth is one of the worst. It’s the first time you’re basically required to ClCl to win and he’s stupid fast (another thing I’d like toned down a bit tbh). He has more health than Godzilla and ClCl is the only way to really get around it. Your openings to attack him are basically almost non-existent and if you haven’t softened him up for when they happen you’ll just run out of time.

Clutch claw is unfortunately worth tons of damage - it’s like over 1000 damage (I think it’s percentage of the monster based!) and you also get a full knockdown, which are really the only times you are safe to use any of the big damage combos… Softened parts also get part damage during the wall slam so it’s really good for helping with tail removal (although you’ll need an actual cutting weapon do to the sever). You can set up the training room to be a cart to practice grabbing the face, smacking it a couple times and targeting walls. And the classic fallback that a lot of folks use is to save temporal mantle (and rocksteady if you’re careful) whenever the monster is coming out of enrage - put on the mantle, pick a part to focus tenderizing, do your two wall slams and damage for the knockdowns, and then back to the hunt. Also, note that the tricky part is getting to the head and giving it a “turning hit”, after that it’ll stop trying to throw you off (although you can run out of stamina oops)

It’s so powerful that the choice for wakeups is generally wall slam instead of barrels in iceborne - if you’re fancy/good at figuring out directions you might put barrels on the wall you’re going to use, but most people are just getting ready to take advantage of the knockdown.

Would you consider trying a different weapon? Switch Axe is hard mode against such a mobile and strong enemy at this point in the game. Sword & Shield, Longsword and Hammer are considerably better for this particular fight.

Surprised to see hammer mentioned. I switched to SA from hammer because hammer’s attacks were too slow for me to do a lot of the times, while SA allowed me some quick hits and evade outs (unless I start button mashing, which gets me into animation lock at the wrong time).

I am tempted to to lance as I found it interesting in Rise, but it sounds like my issue is less the weapon and more doing more clutch clawing.

Alright well, I changed it up to lance and while I haven’t tried Barioth again, I’m really really enjoying it. It has a really nice rhythm to it.

That combined with the fact that the clutch claw flows right in with it (since it’s a counter with protection against being knocked off) it makes it means I don’t have to worry as much about being ready for the perfect CC opportunity. It’s also pretty nice to weaken heads that might cause deflection (such as Barroth’s).

I love lance. It’s a bit underpowered compared to other weapons in terms of damage (though a few decorations can compensate some of that difference), but it makes up for that in defense.

By side hop, you’re in sword mode? Try sticking to axe and only engaging sword when you have a clear window: the retreat morph from sword to axe can also be really useful vs Barioth. Also consider swapping some skills out for damage, part breaker for example isn’t going to help take him down any faster; if you’re pushing the time limit you need to hurt him more. Getting used to his moveset will help you find more opportunities for damage as well.