Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Definitely sounds like resolution scaling; it’s under advanced display settings if you haven’t changed it already (it should be set to ‘high’ I think for 100% scale).

So while I’m currently liking MH Rise, I’m kind of yearning for World’s graphics and environments again (not to mention 120 fps plus playing on my 27" gaming monitor). I stopped trying to play World after my last post because of the no pause situation, but I’ve gotten into a routine where I can play at night when the no pause isn’t as big of a deal.

When I quit World over a year+ ago I hit a wall with Nergigante. I tried him again 2 times and got him limping, but made the mistake of letting him sleep, which kicked off 3 carts in a row from dive bombs. I tried a second time and didn’t do great either.

Since I’m still trying to get my bearings again, I need to get better armor (and better skill loadout) and do some farming to get the next level to my gunlance for more damage. However, I also bought iceborne so I could technically just get the guardian stuff and steam roll my way to iceborne.

I’m not sure if it’s worth it to just beat the base game properly first (I mean I enjoy the hunting aspect so I’m just bypassing some monsters I haven’t fought yet to fight other monsters I haven’t fought yet) or if I just just try to get to Iceborne with the smallest amount of bs.

Thoughts?

Nergigante is a tough fight. I was playing mostly with SwagAxe or Hunting Horn when I faced him, and I just couldn’t beat him. Then I tried with a Longsword and got it on my second try. Maybe there’s something else I changed in my build that helped, but it was a great fight.

But it’s very likely, now that you posted in a public forum that you hit a wall with Nergigante, that you’ll beat him on your next try. That seems to work for other games like Dark Souls and Sekiro and Nioh 2. ;)

haha when I quit originally it was hunting horn that I could not beat him with. The fact that I got really close on my first recent attempt with the gunlance (haven’t only used it in Rise) makes me feel like I was slightly gimping myself with it back then :D

I love Hunting Horn, but as a weapon it doesn’t leave much room for mistakes. To be efficient with Hunting Horn you must be very aware of positioning, monster behavior, etc. It’s a great weapon when you already know the monsters well, but if you don’t, it’s better to go with a more forgiving weapon.

Gunlance is a nice option - more so if you invest in some Guard decorations - but mobility is an issue.

For the record, Iceborne has a much more difficult version of Nergigante that’s really hard to beat, and the first time I succeeded in that fight was with a Gunlance. So there’s that. ;)

I don’t know why you’d try to “get through” the base game. For me Iceborne is a lot more BS than base, but both of them the meat and potatoes is the same: you hunt monsters. There is no great big changeup that will make Iceborne a different proposition.

Peh, I’m kicking so much ass with my lance I bet I would have gotten that Nergigante on that first encounter on the Zorgzorg Bravados, if it didn’t wimp out!

Thanks that was what I was trying to figure out. So yeah, doesn’t make sense to do the guardian armor. Thanks,

Don’t forget the performance enhancing items, food and drugs! Even if you don’t eat for extra health, you can pop a max potion to get that, and the Mega Demondrug and Mega Armorskin are easy ways to get a little bump to +5 attack and +25 defense which is more significant in World than IB. You can also pick up an Armor/Power talon/charm and make sure they’re in all your inventory.

Yeah I am trying to remember all the utility stuff and charms and decos and whatnot. It’s been a while :D

That’s one of my favorite things about the game: actually planning the hunt. Oh, I want to bring some traps, but crap I need a thunder bug, and so forth. I am playing MHGU on my girlfriend’s switch right now, and I like the absence of scoutflies and the use of paintballs to track monsters, although I concede I might be weird that way. Actually if they could just make this game into theHunter: Call of the Wild with giant monsters instead of, like, deer, I’d be all over it.

Exactly!

VigilantApprehensiveAlligator-size_restricted

Tried going against Nergigante again last night with my Gunlance and just got stomped. I haven’t figured out the right way to play GL on World or Rise. I’m either too aggressive and get too focused on trying to get into full burst or wyrmstake, or I get defensive and do too little damage until an unguardable attack finally comes.

I decided to try changing it up to bow and had a lot of fun. Swapped to some gear and was doing really well. Then forgot to exit quick enough to get away from his dive bomb and fainted. Then … I made one mistake another time and fainted again. Lured him out of his lair all limping and I’m 90% sure he was almost dead… when my character refuses to move and the final feint occurs.

Apparently my controller batteries ran out >.<

Welp switched to hammer (and plugged my controller in) and beat Nergigante first try. I’m really liking the hammer and I totally get the game design behind it. It’s what I really wanted out of great sword (precise and strategic hits) but couldn’t take the lack of mobility.

I then immediately smashed the 3 elder dragons painlessly. I then hit Xeno and … wow what a boring awful fight. I mean I beat him (and hammer is probably the worst weapon to hit him with due to the slow commits) but it wasn’t a challenge or interesting at all.

Welp, I guess next is Iceborne! Or back to Rise…

lol. Been there!

If you like hammer, you’ll love Iceborne, because it’s one of the weapons that most got improved by the expansion. You won’t love the super-quick monsters as much, though. Still great though.

As for Xeno, best weapon to face that one is Insect Glaive, by a mile. First time I faced it, I was playing with dual blades. You can imagine how that went. ;)

And by improved he means least got shafted thanks to the completely unnecessary claw mechanic.

My standing recommendation is that if you like MHW to not play Iceborne, because it’s such a drastic shift in how the game plays, and it honestly ruined the MH for me.

The claw attacks with hammer are awesome. Of all the weapons, it’s the one that integrated the claw in the most natural way, with the best flow. I had a lot of fun with hammer in Iceborne.

Yeah, that’s what I said. It’s the weapon that was hurt the least by addition of the stupid claw. Seriously, did anyone ask for it?

I barely noticed or used the claw so I never understood the hate. Occasionally I remembered it existed and used it to get close.