Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Haha! Panic, quit, and start again in private server. ;)

(I haven’t touched multi yet either, apart from seeing a bunch of names of people in my instance)

So, yesterday I tried playing a few hunts with a Charge Blade. I’d tried it in the Beta, and didn’t understand anything about how it worked. This time I understood the concepts; sword charges up, charges are transferred to vials, vials are spent on either boosting individual axe hits or doing a single massive axe->big sword->little sword move.

It was really fun and flashy, but didn’t seem super effective. So I went back to the Long Sword for the rest of the session. Maybe there’s some minor detail I missed?

Yeah, no. I missed like a dozen critical things about it. Literally nothing I was doing matched the recommendations of that tutorial. What a crazy complicated weapon. I’ll have to give it one more try tonight.

This is the one I picked as my “starter” weapon as well. That video and a few others I found were solid gold. Learning not only what to do with the thing, but when to do it has been a lot of fun and I think helped lock me into loving this series as a new monster hunter player. But yes, it is a complicated monstrosity that requires not only knowing the combos, but knowing not to overcharge, or under charge, or over hold… the list goes on. I’m 60 hours in to this game and I feel like I mostly get the weapon at this point. He does some “charged guard” things at the end of that video I still haven’t mastered. It’s next on my list =)

I tried the cornamusa yesterday. Is some large bagpipe you use has a hammer. Also you are a bard.

This game is amazing :D

I love that tuba! It’s actually an interesting take on a support/bash weapon. I highly suggest you watch a video on that one too, because there are things that you can do that are nto apparent, but absolutely awesome once you know them =)

Being new to consoles, I didn’t know what the symbols used to direct attacks mean. I tried looking them up online, but there was one I couldn’t figure out. It was an upward arrow without a right or left or number, just a blue arrow. I looked for an arrow symbol on my controller to no avail. So I gave up and decided I’d get it eventually.

So I played the first 10 or so missions using hammer, without knowing how to charge it and maneuver and then release the attack. Just drawing the hammer takes forever, then you have to start a normal swing, all while the critter still hasn’t moved. I ended up having to anticipate where the critter would be, starting to draw my weapon and attack prior to it arriving. Talk about some long, difficult encounters!

So now I know that the blue up arrow means ‘release the R2 that you’ve been holding down’, and the fights have gotten a whole lot easier. Still fun and challenging, but nowhere near what I was putting myself through.

According to these tutorials, I am using the Switch Blade correctly although they use their sword more often. I like the mobility of the axe and save the sword for great moments, to hit weak spots, when it’s down or exhausted. The word use of phial though always throw me, make me want to drink something but they use it also in the context of weapon bonuses/extras.

The matchmaking on Xbox still wasn’t working as of yesterday even though they patched it twice this week. The live status page also still lists the game as having problems: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Does anyone know if the new ‘Sliding Slash’ move on Charge Blade counts as a ‘slide’, in terms of the ‘Affinity Sliding’ skill that boosts affinity after sliding?

Got past Anjalath today after a couple tries and finally got to upgrade my dual blades again. I’ve tried a couple other weapons but keep coming back to my bone blades.

I don’t know that I like the way the game turns somewhere around the 40-50 hour mark (around HR 12). Basically some of the materials required for equipment upgrades seem to become far too rare. Early in the game the loop was basically that you’d maybe need to fight a monster a second time to get all the materials you needed from them. And really there usually wasn’t any actual need for grinding to advance the main quest.

But for example today I did five runs of a High Rank Jyuratodus investigation, capturing it each time while wearing equipment boosting quest rewards, and only got one Torrent Sac (need two). So that was about 2 hours of grinding one of the least satisfying fights in the game, and it only got me halfway to getting a weapon upgrade. And not some kind of ultimate weapon upgrade; it’s still several steps from the end of the tree. (The situation on other weapon trees is similar, it’s not that I’m insisting on specifically having a water weapon).

On another front, I did three High Rank Legiana captures, and only got enough bits for a single piece of HR Legiana armor.

Now, the armor isn’t a big deal. It’s easy to get a viable armor configuration by mixing and matching, just might not look great and doesn’t have set bonuses. But there’s no workaround for an underpowered weapon, and I’m definitely feeling hard pressed in the Elder’s Recess with a weapon from ten hours ago.

It does not.

Thanks! And dammit. :)

Yeah, this is getting annoying. It still doesn’t work.

Finally went online. Taking down monsters with 4 is a loot faster, despite how much more life they have. I had connection troubles the whole time but managed to finish a few quests. Now I have guild cards. I barely understand what they’re for.

I think the main draw is you can run into and use their palicos in the world?

You also get to use those palicos rather than generic ones when sending teams to Tailrider Safaris. (A system that IIRC unlocks when you get to the Rotten Vale).

so if I receive a Guild Card is it proper etiquette to send one in return? It looks like I have a 100 limit, although it seems highly doubtful I will ever meet that many guild card trading folks.

You get Unity points for playing with people that you’ve exchanged guild cards with. In previous games that would reward you with tickets to exchange for consumables and rare materials. Not sure if that still happens in World.

Anyone know why I don’t seem to be getting the Special Arena HR: Azure Rathalos for capturing the Azure Rathalos? I’ve capped it a bunch of times and even ran it solo can capped it and it still isn’t showing. Is there something I am missing?