Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Does that apply to potions? My weapon seems to go away when I chug them.

Another question - does weapon material matter beyond just raw stats? For example, I was getting a lot of grey damage numbers with Bone long swords vs Great Jagras, and the weapon straight up bounced off its tail. I haven’t had any issues with bone charged sword and sword+shield though…

You need to be blocking while drinking the potion.

Bone weapons tend to have lower Sharpness. Either you don’t have any green Sharpness on that bone weapon at all, or it’s wearing off very quickly to yellow. That’s going to cause attacks to bounce on heavily armored parts of the monster.

Thanks! And double thanks for the block tip - I facepalmed so hard the hand went through the back of my head. Not sure why it didn’t occur to me to try it.

To be fair, the game really doesn’t tell you a lot of things. It might be the most accessible Monster Hunter yet, but it still leaves a lot for new comers to figure out what the seasoned players have known for years.

The sharpness piece is an interesting mechanic that I don’t recall being in most other games, at least not quite like they have here.

I started out with the glaive and have crafted the bone one and it seems like it is really really horrible. But after reading the last few posts maybe I need to focus on keeping it sharp. Cuz it sure feels like I’m just wailing away at one of the boss monsters and doing absolutely nothing. I started noticing the grey numbers vs the orange numbers for hits and I guess the grey does less or is a different type. But the most noticeable is that I don’t hit at all. Like the response is as if I’m hitting a shield or armored portion of the monster. But it sure looks like I’m hitting the belly where I was just doing damage a few swings ago. Maybe the hit feedback mechanism is super complex and detailed once you learn it but at this point I’m not getting why so many of my strikes seem to be doing nothing or to be hitting armor.

Unless the other weapons are different, you don’t really have to see the numbers to know your weapon isn’t sharp. My SwitchAxe shows the blades “color” constantly. I have to sit in yellow for a bit because it’s a low level weapon but later, I try to keep it green or better, depending on whom I’m fighting and how the battle is going. Some of them are just really quick so I stick with yellow for awhile in those if it gets orange or red, ick.

Hey, we had to figure it all out too! And it was more opaque back then. ;)

Heh, I have fair share of stories for some other games, but it kind of surprises me that what I guess I learned from Tri I just took for granted in this one. Until people ask me about it, I just kind of assumed it was mentioned.

For example, I used a trap playing with my sister before the tutorial ever told her how to make or use them. I kind of forgot it delays it a bit but you can use it ahead of time. She played Tri too but the dust is still there for her. IT came back to me months ago.

i love all the new weapon additions, like the slide on the chargeblade and the ability to charge your weapon. and on the longsword, the new dodge slash and the helmbreaker fit the theme of the weapon so well. This really is an excellent monster hunter.

Speaking of which, I took the optional ‘capture Kulu-Ya-Ku’ last night, the first capture mission. Even though I played early in the year on PS4 I still wasn’t wise enough to buy additional traps from the provisions guy before going in. :P

So after receiving a terrible beating, the poor bird escapes the one shock trap they give you in-mission, and I’m forced to finish it off and fail the quest. Ah well! :D

I’m pretty cool with the amount of tutorial info they give you in the game. I have no idea what it’s like as a totally fresh player, but I think I’d appreciate the training area, the little videos, and the hunter guides, as enough to get you going - but leaving the intricacies and subtleties to be discovered by playing.

ps. really digging the bow, it’s a lot of fun and a pretty easy ranged weapon to get into.

You should have been able to craft more. The item box for a capture mission has a couple of trap tools in it, and finding a thunderbug or a vine shouldn’t take too long.

I did check the crafting, it said something like 10 thunderbugs to craft… it wasn’t until later I realised I’d read it wrong and that was the amount back in my box and it was never that expensive to make. So yeah totally me being an idiot and forgetting how to play. :)

Haha, a whole stack of thunderbugs would be harsh indeed. For a couple of the maps going to get new stuff isn’t a big deal although I think Ivy is kind of high up in the Ancient Forest, for o ther maps… not so much. I typically carry 1-4 traps with me anyway. You never know when it will make difference in a tough fight even if you don’t capture.

I think my greatest advice for people newer to the game, get through the story. You unlock a lot of really useful resource gathering abilities by getting through the story, as well as new tiers of armor that are way better. Once you get to the post main story stuff, then you can really start to gear up.

I was doing this and making a good pace, then hit a hard wall called Radobaan. Now I’m stuck in a gear grind to beat him and contemplating if I want to go back to that old crutch called the longsword.

I don’t think it was Radobaan, but the one immediately after that made me switch back to the longsword. I love the GS, but for some monsters, getting those hits lined up is rough.

So was the opinion of PC people playing the game?

I have fond memories of the PS4 version, and I have curious if what is a excellent game in consoles, is still a good game in PC.

Are there any recommended armors to use in the beginning? I now have the Anjanath quest open and I’m still wearing the hunter set (level 1 even). Fwiw I did beat the monster once already in an expedition mode but it was tough.

In the beginning just go with the highest physical defense you can scrape together. Don’t worry too much about optimizing the elemental resists. The real armor trade-offs will appear later.