Moscow tips

You wound me to the quick, fire.

Suddenly sprouted? It’s like I’m invisible.

$240 for two hours of anal sex?

Sir, I am offended. By the high prices!

For somebody about to travel to Moscow NEXT WEEK, he has a stunning lack of basic travel knowledge (and life knowledge, but that’s another thread). I didn’t realize that I was obligated to help fix that, but since you and Jasper have decided champion his cause and take this personally:

Hey extar, in order not to look like a big target on your trip:[ul]
[li]Don’t wear tennis shoes, T-Shirts, or shorts.
[/li][li]Don’t flash money around.
[/li][li]Don’t carry a wallet in your back pocket.
[/li][li]Don’t talk EXTREMELY LOUDLY.
[/li][li]Don’t carry around a music device or portable video game system.[/ul]
[/li]Don’t cower in fear every time you leave wherever it is you’re staying, but don’t invite trouble, either. Also, check the State Department’s Consular Info Sheet.

That reminds me! When I was in Moscow, my wife’s cousin and some of her friends were showing me around, and we stopped for lunch at McDonalds, which I thought was the weirdest thing (I hate fast food).

I asked them why they ate there, as there must be better food elsewhere and it wasn’t exactly cheap. They said it was because they knew they could trust that the food was well prepared, and safe to eat… At least it was better than what’d you’d get ad McDonalds in the US. No idea whether this is paranoia or not, but considering the difficulty in pressing charges (if you aren’t rich)…

Of course, I certainly didn’t eat only at McDonalds; I’d stay away from the greasier joints though.

Also, the Exile is highly recommended. Especially their bar reviews.

Wow, you found a high priced one. Most of them are in the 2000R ($75) range. For $240 I bet you don’t get rushed out of the room by a crew-cut Mafiya gunman at the end, though!

I’m not championing anything. I just think flogging that particular horse is getting rather old; why even jump into the thread if you’ve nothing constructive to add? It seems to me that what 'bags did, asking for advice from people who’ve been there, seems quite reasonable.

Heh. I had an old man (and his wife!) try to get me drunk on the plane and hook me up with his daughter… Another time I sat next to a guy who was going specifically to check out mail order brides.

Not to mention it was virtually impossible to go to a club that didn’t have a strip show (and armed mafia goons). Depressing really. :-/

I might add that the thread didn’t actually start off in any sort of productive manner, and that was entirely my doing.

So you can put the blame solely at my feet sir!

Ah, but you at least were funny. ;-) There’s a point before the horse is fully flogged that such things seem still in good humor.

To be fair, it’s partially my fault as well with the whole “The Extarbags Identity” comment. It’s hard to not bring these things up though when there’s a 70 page thread just below this one where about half those pages are spent trying to talk 'bags out of dating insane women and finding normal ones, among other things.

Be careful of girls, HOT girls in clubs coming over and getting you to buy them a drink.
Its the old $1000 bottle of champaign caper…
You buy them a glass, its only sold buy the bottle, you end up buying the bottle as the Huge Guys With Guns won’t have it any other way …
Or so the movies go … but beware anyway.

Else have fun and damn I wish I was going …

Also, if they tell you about a really awesome hostel full of beautiful girls, DON’T GO.

Most certainly. I just went for a few days back in '01, but the Moscow subways are indeed worth taking just for the experience of seeing some of those funky ornamental stations (and they run well too, IIRC).

And despite the dangerous rep, my spidey-sense didn’t tingle while I was there, any more than it would in the touristy areas of any other giant city. Maybe it’ll help to grow a beard and perfect a dead stare before you go, but I think you’ll be fine. Have fun 'bags – the city has some crazy sights, like a graveyard of old Soviet statues that were removed to a park which now has a Stalin section, a Lenin section, etc. Here’s a photo of me under a giant Stalin:

Also – it’s hilarious that the Russian sex-chick site has an “add to basket” link.

Cool, Stalin has the same haircut as Guile.

So it begins, the temporary immunity fire’s chickness has afforded her so far now begins to erode away.

To be fair, she had girl immunity for what? 5 years?

I’m a chick, and I’ve never had immunity. :(

I think you need to post a pic of your butt first before you’re eligible.