Mosque shooting in Christchurch, NZ

Best wishes to Christchurch and our Muslim brothers and sisters. And a big “fuck you” to whoever agrees with any kind of religious or racial violence. There are at least two separate incidents, so definitely more than one shooter, and seems coordinated. So the police aren’t ruling out further incident.

I watched the capture of the livestream. I live in Auckland, half a country from Christchurch, but now I do feel anxious, anxious to appear in public space. I don’t consider myself squeamish, but when I look at the video, it looks oddly desensitised. And scary. It is scary how much like a violent video game it is, like a twitch stream. Or No Russian.

The one question that I keep asking when I was watching is “HOW THE FUCK DID HE GET THE SEMI-AUTOMATIC AND SHOTGUN?”

In custody. Must be nice.

Stuff saying at least 30 now…I can’t believe it…

Some of you may know from previous posts that my wife is an Indonesian muslim…she has friends there who normally would have been at Friday prayers. We are praying that they are safe.

Yeah, one imagines it’ll rise further since ambulances couldn’t get through the cordon for ~30 mins according to a witness I heard interviewed on the radio.

As a fellow Aucklander my prayers are with your wife and her friends.

That’s so scary. I really hope they’re okay, Utility.

Just knowing there were probably refugees at the mosque who came to the country in the hopes of a better life only to be killed at the hands of evil white nationalist terrorists in Christchurch is something that’s going to hurt for a long time.

PM just confirmed 40 dead. Jesus

Prime Minister just announced 40 confirmed deaths as at 7pm. 🙁

Thanks guys.

@MrTibbs what you wrote upthread is so right…I’m sure all the racist alt-right stuff is there if you look but it’s not in your face…this just brings home how sheltered (and maybe naive) we have been.

The dreadful irony is that 999/1000 would have assumed this would have been perpetrated by muslims not against them.

Fuck 40 now.

Glad I’m not on twitter and missed the footage. Horrific event. People will have to start treating 8chan, /pol/. The_Donald etc as venues for decentralised terrorist organisations. It’s clear to see how this originated.

The District Health Board confirmed that 48 patients have gunshot wounds, and 20 are in critical condition.

Well, fuck.

We have the current front runner for “worst take on anything, ever.”

What a horrible and sad day. The comment section on Brietbart and the Queensland senator’s statement are showing how emboldened these idiots are becoming.

With the 2nd mosque being defended with someone with a weapon, this is going to give the NRA and it’s followers so much gratification saying “see shootings happen even countries with strict laws and it’s only people with guns that protected the 2nd mosque”.

Such a horrible & sad day. My condolences & deep regrets go out to anyone who is worried about loved ones or friends that are unaccounted for.

New Zealand’s police commissioner, Mike Bush says the number of people killed has increased to 49 after one of the victims died in hospital.

A man has been charged with murder and will appear in court tomorrow.

One of those arrested may have had nothing to do with the attack, Bush said. The two other people arrested in possession of firearms are still being investigated.

I’ve seen bits of the manifesto and his posts and no doubt this should be called an Alt Right terrorist attack. It’s about time they treated the alt right (and the “classical liberals” cryptos) as an extremist group.

That Oz senator above needs to be charged with hate crimes.

That is the same bastard that “joked” about applying the “Final Solution” to the Muslim “problem” in Australia.

This is so appalling, I cried about this like I did about the events in Pittsburgh… about time our security services take Nazi praise, jokes and memes as seriously as they do with Islamic State praise, jokes and memes.

This guy got into parliament as a candidate for our crazy right wing party called One Nation. Yet, he ended up being too crazy for even them so they ditched him and he formed a new microparty.

Its embarrassing that Australia is in the news today because of the gunman and this idiot who will most assuredly get voted out at the next election.

Oh this is horrible. Yes I agree, alt-right or nazi terrorism should get the same status as islamic terrorism and be pursued with the same vigor.

In fact, I believe its far more dangerous and poses a far graver thread to us, but that’s just my opinion.

Sadly, I don’t think so. Oh, yeah, he’s racist, and a wretched example of how low humans can go, but given that the ideology this person typifies is widespread and that he could communicate almost entirely with memes and codes indicates that it’s not just an individual issue. It’s a vast conspiracy, an open conspiracy where people flat-out say publicly that they want to commit crimes. It’s a vast conspiracy that is not prosecuted, even though if leftists or Muslims or non-whites said similar things they would be rounded up. It’s a vast conspiracy that is sanctioned and publicly endorsed by elected representatives, here and abroad. So it’s not just one crazy dude, it’s a totally fucked society.