Movie Quiz

Geez, all I can think of for Swedish actors doing well in America off the top of my head is Stellan Skarsgaard.

I meant the last one of the four I was originally thinking of, Hanzii.

The only Swedish director I know of that is doing well in America is Lasse Hellstrom.

What about Ingmar Bergman?

Oh, you mean is doing well…

Peter Stormare?

I can’t remember if Lars Von Trier is Swedish or Danish. I also don’t know if he’s considered to be “doing well.”

Also, hey KrazyKev, does Takashi Shimizu not count? He made “Ju-on” in Japan and then went on to film the American Version “The Grudge” as well.

I thought that Lars von Trier would not get on an airplane, so might be stretching it to say he’s ‘doing well in America.’ Though I may have read that a little too literally. Plus you’re right, he may not actually be Swedish. Man, I suck at geography.

Does Michael Mann count? (For LA Takedown-Heat, not Miami Vice.)

The Bangkok Dangerous dudes, the guy who did 13 (the US version is a year away, but this counts, right?).

King Kong?

Plus three more for the “directors remaking their own stuff” list:

Kon Ichikawa: The Burmese Harp -> The Burmese Harp / The Inugami Family -> The Inugamis

Yasujiro Ozu: A Story of Floating Weeds -> Floating Weeds / I Was Born, But… -> Good Morning / Late Spring -> Late Autumn

Tsui Hark: Zu Warriors From the Magic Mountain -> Legend of Zu

Bob Violence: King Kong is correct - the Criterion laserdisc contained the first ever commentary track.

All those foreign-to-English directors count. And I totally forgot about L.A. Takedown, so nice one, Enduro.

Name six Robert Zemeckis movies in which alcoholism is featured - be specific.

All I got is Back to the future II, where Biff Tannen of the alternate reality is a drunken wife beater.

Maybe Polar Express for the amount of alcohol I have to consume before the characters don’t look as creepy.

Lt Dan is an alky in Forrest Gump.

The main character (not Roger Rabbit, the other one) is a lush in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I think Kurt Russel in Used Cars is a drunk, but I don’t really recall.

And anyone who thinks that the CGI in Polar Express isn’t the creepiest fucking thing they’ve ever seen is clearly in the throes of the DTs and as such isn’t appropriately terrified by the wide, staring, soulless eyes of the puppet-children that inhabit that nightmare world.

Nope, not him

Back to the Future III has that scene where Doc is drunk on the day Marty has a shootout with Mad Dog Tannen!

Well just in case it’s my fault this thread died:

Back to the Future
I: Biff is drunk when he tries to rape Lorraine
II: Biff is drunk in 1985
III: Doc drinks himself unconscious after Clara rejects him

Who Framed Roger Rabbit: Eddie Valentine is a drunk

Death Becomes Her: Ernest Menville, the Bruce Willis character, becomes a drunk

Forrest Gump: Lt. Dan becomes a drunk

I would have accepted Beowulf for the mead hall opening.

Yes some of these were a stretch, and in hindsight I should have made it five. I seemed to remember the weaker brother in Used Cars being an alcoholic, and I thought Jim Belushi’s character in 1941 was a drunk for hey I don’t know what reason, but I don’t actually know whether either of these things are true.

Well, I got a quiz question then if no one else is chipping in.

What was the name of John Connor’s Dog in Terminator 2? and what did the Governator call the dog to realize the parents were dead?

Max/woofie?

Excellent. Your turn.

Or else I got another one.

No one EVEN bothered with my Indy question, and now you want another one?

1). Name all the female characters aboard the Sulaco
2). Name the scenes where they get Aliened.