ms teams replacement?

Me too, and I never understood it. These guys talk about how much they just hate to travel all the time, but then also make sure you know that they’re 1K on United and Diamond status on this other airline and if you’re lucky I’ll let you join me in the lounge.

Then you see them book the most unnecessary trips to the farthest reaches to check in with the teams and “promote synergy” or whatever.

I always figured it was people who just wanted to get away from the families for a few days.

Disney has (or maybe had, it’s been 10+ years since I worked there) the best travel policy ever for this. For Senior Managers and up, it’s an automatic upgrade to business class for any flight over 6 hours. So there’s no hemming and hawing if you even dare to suggest it, which most people don’t when it’s “discretionary”, and there’s real scrutiny over whether you need to take the trip or not.

Frankly, I don’t want to travel for business. Doesn’t matter if it’s business class. Same with work dinners, fake-laughing with clients. Prefer to buy my own goddamn steak and sit with people I don’t hate.

Amen to that. My loathing of having to be fake around clients/partners can be assuaged with a suitably sized prime rib, though.

Preach it. Some of those people even -might- be coworkers. Might.

A propos of Teams in general, with its Large Gallery and Together mode (both marked as Preview features available when you open a meeting in a separate window), Teams works really well for our 10-12 people team meetings these days. We also use an integrated Planner to allocate tasks, mark them in progress and completed. Otherwise, it’s mostly a messaging system to quickly ask questions / work remotely.

But having used it for the past few months, I think it’s only gotten better and more usable. I wouldn’t be keen to look for a replacement. Our IT infrastructure guys seem to like the software / data management side of it. Then again, we aren’t a Slack outfit. So maybe I don’t know what I’m missing when it comes to the chat side of Slack.

Nothing at all. Slack’s chat really has few, if any, novel features.

I find the UX overall markedly superior in Slack, but it isn’t included in Office365. Integrations are better too. People still complain about switching to Teams to this day, and it’s been like 9 months.

I have to use both Teams and Slack, and just find Slack to be better. More simple to use, easy to integrate. Easy to spin up channels and deprecate them. Teams is fine and I won’t throw a fit when we are finally told to use Teams only, but Slack is just a better experience for me.

Wow, $28B. That’s insane.

Jesus … throwing BIG bucks around for Salesforce. They certainly have an organizational “in” though. I could have sworn Salesforce was under the bubble to get purchased not that long ago?

Yikes!!

“Important, Spoofing” - zero-click, wormable, cross-platform remote code execution in Microsoft Teams

Looks like it was fixed at the end of October? You can force Teams to update by clicking on your user profile/initials/etc at the top right, then Check for Updates.

Yeah, and it will auto-update unless you go out of your way to stop it.

The rest of America: “Hey guys, it looks like we’ll all soon be able to travel and see friends and family in person again!”

Microsoft: “Oooh, better get out this Personal Version of Teams for the pandemic!”

What does your comment mean? That MS and Teams are US only? That the pandemic is finished everywhere? That there is no use for a personal Teams version with quite generous chat time allowances (especially now that a lot of employees have gotten used to using it for work)? That we must have some snark with every piece of news?

I doubt it’s going to overtake the Discord, Zoom and the dozens of Skype users out there. But I can’t really complain about Teams being an options. It’s quite good.

You’re absolutely right-- COVID is still very much a major concern in most areas of the world.

Not to mention that there was always a need for this sort of thing - see Portal, Zoom, Facetime, video chat via Echo devices, etc. No harm in Microsoft trying to get back into it after they basically euthanized Skype.

Our company uses Slack (and very heavily). Our biggest competitor bought them, so Teams here we come. We are so screwed.