Must.. have.. Guitar.. Hero.. II

Yeah, but I’m talking about the other menus as well. It seems like it’s all demons and dead guys, whereas the original had a wider array of weird stuff (the squid musician, the skull balloon, fire breathing dude, coffin rodeo guy, etc.). But I know this is kind of like complaining about the Rapture because you don’t like the color of Jesus’s robe.

You have just answered a question I have long wondered about. Seriously, thanks!

The Primus song is definitely not a cover. I was told this firsthand by the producers and we even interviewed Les Claypool about it.

The reason for using covers, as it was explained to me, is twofold. The first is that they need the tracks in a format that they can use in the game – i.e. being able to remix the song and drop the guitar (edit: and now rhythm and bass) tracks in and out when necessary. That’s not always an option with older songs. The second reason, as I understand it, is simply $$$ – it costs more to license the actual track than to license the composition and re-record it.

I honestly have no idea whether Stop is the original version or not. It’s close enough to be the original, but I hadn’t seen any official announcement about it.

According to the official GH2 forums, both John and Stop are “master tracks.”

All the bonus songs are originals. They don’t need to be recorded any special way, as long as each instrument has decent isolation, which is standard nowadays.

I can only guess what reasons you’re thinking about, but to cover two, the “level designers” create the note streams by hand, using the guitar audio as a reference, and they have techniques to deal with drifting tempos, so the performers don’t have to play to a click track.

So Guitar Hero the First… I am getting my ass handed to me trying to beat either No One Knows or Crossroads. I can play all the other songs, plus the purchased tracks reasonably well, but those two are just kicking my ass. Any suggestions? (This is on Hard.)

Erik J.

Walmart is definitely selling at midnight.

I know this because my wife and her sister intend on being right there in about 2 hours to pick it up.

I just got the call from EB that it will be in tomorrow morning.

I was at that point as well. I still can’t regularly beat those songs on expert.

For no one knows I found when it goes into the long strings of notes going really fast. Try to only play every other note if you can. As for crossroads, saving your star meter for the big chains helped me out. Saving your star meter is good for any hard part of a song.

Heh, I loved “Caveman Rejoice.”

We call this song “Gay Man Rejoice”.

I’m just sayin’.

I am getting my ass handed to me trying to beat either No One Knows or Crossroads. Any suggestions? (This is on Hard.)

I guess I’d look at which note sequences particular to those two songs you’re having trouble with and practice those. It’s kinda bizarre that you can beat CFH and BATM but not these two!

Hey, whatever gay stuff you do at home is your business. I’m not here to judge. :)

I am… and I judge SEXY UNTIL PROVEN NOT SEXY!

what the hell am I talking about

Psychobilly Freakout and Carry Me Home on expert are completely destroying me. I have no idea what’s going on and then I get song failed.

A’ight. It took me three Wal*Marts to find this last night (one only had the game-only version and I wanted a second [red!] guitar), but I got it, and I’ve been through once on medium. I’m certainly no sluggo, and I wanted to get all the songs unlocked without having to retry them.

First of all, it’s fantastic to be able to play this without lag on my HDTV. Also, progressive scan and widescreen support make a world of difference.

Second of all, I don’t like these songs as much. A lot of my favorite songs now in GH1 are songs I’d never heard before, so I’m optimistically assuming I’ll grow to love the GH2 setlist, but after one trip through the campaign, most new venues I opened up only had one song out of the five that I would recognize and actually want to play. And to further defend the game, this is just medium. It’s not till hard and expert that some songs actually become fun to play.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played any GH1 outside of multiplayer, so it’s been a long time since I’ve actually had to pay a lot of attention to how well I’m doing and the specifics of what I’m struggling with, but it seems like GH2 really ramps up the difficulty of off-tempo notes and songs. Nothing in the medium difficulty goes too fast to play or has too many notes at once, but there were plenty of embarassingly silent solos where I couldn’t quite hit the timing. Was GH1 as tricky with the tempo, or is it just me?

Anyway, as down on the musical selection as I am (and still feeling burned after the rumors of a Tool song), I had the biggest, stupidest grin you can imagine when Freebird was introduced. I dare you not to enjoy it.

Hey, whatever gay stuff you do at home is your business

listen veeery closely to the song. Caveman rejoice? or Gay man rejoice? I think it’s a very fine line. I take a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy towards interpreting these lyrics.

And for my next trick, I’ll explain how Cherry Pie is not about baked delicacies.

I want to add that hammer-ons and hammer-offs are approximately one bajillion percent easier in GH2. I am hitting notes I would have no chance in hell of hitting in GH1. I didn’t notice this in the demo version, but it’s huge in the final. Thank you Red Octane!

p.s. Schmidt, I started on Hard, you big pussy. I’ve only failed that Sword - Freya song so far. Man, what an annoying track.

I had planned on playing Medium for the first two setlists to get back in the groove, and then switching to Hard, until I noticed that there are unlockable guitars for completing AND getting 5 stars on all songs in easy and medium. Now I’m actually going to have to play those difficulties.

Freya is a horrible song. That repetitious break near the end is just painful to play through. IMO, it’s the worst licensed track in the game.

Dick Dale: Pwnt!

I’m slowly working my way through on expert, my hands started hurting so I decided to take a break. It seems like every other song has a big solo.