Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - Xcom with humanoid ducks and pigs

Picked it up from GMG for 20% off. Only played up to getting back to the home base, but so far I like it. It oozes atmosphere between the characters dialog and the cut scenes. All very well done. Combat so far seems to be basically Xcom once you are in it. The real time set up works nicely so far though. Although I am not a fan of the awsd movement on the map. Its awkward always trying to move around stuff and focus the camera. Would rather have point and click. it very much feels like a console game at times because of it.

Heh, well, I’ll be playing it on Xbox when it hits Game Pass in a couple of days. Nice to know the interface works for us, I guess.

I’m unclear on how this "head start"t thing is working. Do yu get access now with either version, or only the Deluxe version? And if they’re giving access to anyone who buys it today, why not just go ahead and release it officially?

I bought the regular version and got access. No idea how it all works. Maybe they’re trying to boost pc sales?

I’m watching a video of this and it seems really neat. One question, why are (most?) all of the projectiles so … large?

It’s kind of distracting for some reason I can’t really specify. The crossbow looked normal, but the pig guy had a gun that shot a cartoonish bullet right at the start of the video, and then the sniper rifle fires like… super-heated hockey pucks?

You’re critiquing the realism of the weapons in a game about talking boars and ducks?

It’s not a critique*, I’m just asking because it looks different to me. Is it an art style choice or is it something in-game that explains it? Unless you are saying that in a world with mutated animals firing a bar of soap from a long barreled rifle is equally normal?

*Actually, as I watch more of the video, yeah, it’s a critique.

They don’t explain it or anything that I have seen. All the weapons in the game look big and clunky, so I think it’s just the style they went with. I doubt it would bother you as much when actually playing because you are thinking it through and more concerned about what is going on. I didn’t notice it until you said something.

At least in the early game, everything is very dark, so the pigs flashy bullets do help you see the shot the better. I can barely see the ducks crossbow compared to it.

Yeah, the more I watched (I finished the video and almost watched the next but decided to save the experience for when I play) the more it was fine. Clearly an art style, which is probably the best answer because it’s for some reason less bothersome to me that way. I think it’s really just that rifle the human had - the big Mario bullets fired by the Pig seemed more inline with the weapon - that were strange looking, but you are right by the end of the video I wasn’t really noticing them.

It’s only $28 on GMG and it looks cool, but between Battle Brothers, next week Stellaris has a big expansion (that I’ve already purchased), and then the week after is Pillars of Eternity 2 4.0 + DLC so I suppose I can just hold off a bit, let it grow and patch a little, and dive in early next year.

I love that it’s a bit of Jagged Alliance 2 in that you can walk around and explore in real time.

The weapons are mostly improvised designs in the game, shooting nonstandard stuff like glass shards or metal chunks.

I played a few hours last night. The game can be pretty challenging. I chose a difficulty option that did not fully heal units between engagements and managing health can be hard. You can actually fast travel back to your home base from any location but there is nothing like an inn to let you heal up cheaply. It ends up being real nail-biting to see if you can beat each new encounter when you start combat at half health.

Setting up your ambush and knowing which enemies to prioritize is really important. I end up replaying each encounter several times in order to experiment with the best approach.

This game looks really interesting. Can’t wait to try it! (My backlog also beckons, however…)

I am playing the middle difficulty where you don’t heal between battles, but I kind of assumed getting back to the Ark would heal me. Apparently not. Med kits are the only way to heal I take it? My first mission out of the Ark and I am struggling. It doesn’t help that I still have damage from the into missions.

Yeah, as far as I can tell. They’re pretty spendy, too, so I recommend getting that shop discount from the bar early. You will scrounge up extras, but it feels hard to save for anything else, at least early on.

I am trying to recall whether stimpacks were the only way to regain health in FNV, or whether there were also healing stations of some type.

[edit]

Sleeping. Have you tried sleeping? Is there a day/night cycle?

There’s no sleeping or concept of resting in the game at all.

Anyone else find the game less than optimized? My systems exceeds the recommended specs, yet even with all the graphic settings set to medium, character movement in the exploration stage seems awfully slow.

My 4 year old system with a 970 GTX gets ~40 FPS when wandering around. Everything set to medium. It’s fine for me.

Are they jerky and hitching or slow? Because one could be a frame rate issue and the other could be perception (meaning, you want them to not walk so slow but they do by design, like movement speed in Pathfinder Kingmaker, which I also find kind of slow outside of combat). Maybe watch a gameplay video of someone playing and see if their out-of-combat movement feels the same as yours for comparison?

Good point. It hasn’t been a frame rate issue until this morning when there was a lot of stuttering for some reason. I’m not sure what’s up with that.

I wish there was a way to zoom in or out. Also to swap weapons in combat (if either exists I haven’t found it).