My Computer is Haunted!

I’m glad you’ve stopped the sound,but I don’t consider the beast exorcised until we understand what was happening.

From the video, the sound is windows default sound for a disconnected device… I wonder how the speakers could be disconnecting?

I remember, as a kid, taking a pair of cheap in-ear headphones, plugging them in the microphone socket if Dad’s hifi and shouting into them. They worked as a very crap microphone, and more importantly didn’t explode.

Are you stomping around so much that the speakers are feeding back the sound like a microphone, somehow upsetting windows? ;p

You mentioned they’re powered. I wonder if that’s to do with it, as usually the green audio out jack expects to provide some power to the device.

You could test this by shouting loudly into the speakers?

The other option is your syonps were working the jack? You could just manually wobble it to see?

Does the monitor have USB ports? On the side there close to the speakers original position it looks like? It’s obviously some weird electrical interference thing. Your presence affects the EM field of the speakers (poorly shielded magnets) and the subsequent disturbance in the force when you leave triggers some response from the monitor USB ports.

You you ever been shot? Is the bullet still in you? Have you had metal splints inserted on any broken bones? Have aliens implanted a chip behind your neck? Have you ever had a dream a wasp was stinging your knee and you woke up to pain in your knee?

Are your spurs (you work on a farm thing right?) pulling the speaker cord when you get up and move from the PC?

And i’d just like to thank greywind for the most interesting thread i’ve posted in recently, and it is STILL a mystery.

So I’ve updated my sound drivers from the Windows 10 default to the Realtek ones for the AC887 sound chip and it did nothing. I did a few experiments with the speakers with the process monitor running to see what activates that AudioDG.exe application. When I unplug or plug in the power cord to the speakers, the sound is activated by the power change. With the speakers unpowered but the jack plugged into the computer, the computer initiates a beep when I stand up. With the speakers unpowered and the jack unplugged, no beep. So I don’t think it’s electrical interference from the power cord but something to do with the speaker jack itself.

I think now that I know what it is I’ll just let it keep announcing to the world that I’m standing up. Maybe I can get some exercise out of this!

ian

The monitor has USB ports but it is not connected to any of the USB hubs on the computer. The USB ports don’t communicate with the computer through the video card do they?

Reminds me of my favorite case ever at my old job at Ye Olde Credit Card Processor. I worked in the web payments support department, so of course handled all tech issues with checkreaders. The ones our company sold were fairly old things, great hump-backed beasts with noisy motors and finicky magnets that “read” the ink on the bottom of checks with. . . modest reliability. They were legendarily touchy–any sort of strong magnetic force nearby (e.g., a monitor, speakers–even a big neon sign on the opposite side of a wall, once) could throw them off and result in arcane, useless error messages.

A coworker of mine received a call from a very ornery older gentleman one day. He’d gone through no less than four checkreaders, the last one personally installed by his local sales rep and confirmed working, but no matter what, his checkreaders would just go in and out of service, seemingly at random. Some days they’d work fine, other times–MICR errors out the ass.

He was, understandably, quite frustrated, and had already been through the whole “move the checkreader away from computers, monitors, fans, wall sockets, etc.” game more than once already, but he dutifully did it again for my coworker. Now, I don’t know how she managed to notice this (good ears, I guess), but in the course of their testing, she realized everytime the old man switched hands the phone was in (and thus, the hand the checks were being fed in with), the working/not working would flip. She had him test to confirm. Yep. Feeding in with left hand–no go. Right hand–usually worked.

Turns out the guy had some old-school damn-near steampunk pacemaker installed that was interfering with the magnets every time he hovered the left side of his body over the machine.

Technology!

He’s lucky it wasn’t the other way around.

“Hey, call 911!”
“Bob using the check reader again?”
“Yup.”

Nope, USB ports on the monitor are off the table then!

Oh, Bob, that rapscallion! Just can’t stop scannin’ them checks. . .

Well, at least no one suggested drilling holes in the monitor.

Microsoft doesn’t make speakers?

On a more serious note, anything that plugs into the computer can be a vulnerability. I’m particularly cautious of no-name China made devices, because any manner of criminal hackers could have installed malware into the firmware.

Have you tried encasing yourself in tinfoil before standing up?

I don’t have any insights to add.
Just want to say I want your job.

Well greywind, i’m glad it is just a speaker connector issue and nothing else. I’ve had those in the past too, you could try to fasten more securely the speaker socket/input plug? I’ve used bluetack or electricians tape to stop them moving about before and that can work.

I don’t think it’s so much a matter of stomping, but you’re on the right track.
After watching the video, I conclude that the floor is shaking pretty noticeably when he is walking, which is shaking a loose speaker jack.

Hello,

Do you shut down the computer when you leave office? If yes, there is a possibility that it is one of the beep codes that come out of the motherboard. Have you noticed seeing anything on the screen when you get that beep. That would help isolate what that beep code is.

Regards,
Edwin | https://docs.google.com/

Me, I need some cloud apps. If only someone had a portal they would link in random places around the Internet until I found one.

Oh God!!!
This happens to me too!!

Only mine isn’t as regular as yours, so it is harder to test.
It happens about once/twice a week. I will be working on my PC, then I stand up and I get the device disconnected sound!!!

I finally got frustrated and googled it and found this post!