Name 2 significant movies of 1 director

Correct - Lars von Trier, famous for Dogville and Antichrist.

Incorrect - Lars von Trier, famous for Manderlay and The House That Jack Built.

This exercise reminds me of an online movie reviewer that I can no longer recall, who used to include the duds of whatever actor he was talking about. So instead of saying “starring Tom Hanks (Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan)” like most places would, he’d go “Tom Hanks (Mazes and Monsters, Volunteers)”. It was usually good for a laugh.

I keep thinking this is a John Boorman movie, probably because nobody put more foliage in front of a camera than that dude.

This is a really fun thread to read. I’m getting my popcorn.

Someone do bad directors like Michael Bay. Should be known for his terrible work in his biggest hit movies, or his lesser hits that were actually pretty decent for action movies.

I got one, and @Tin_Wisdom pulled the schtick I wanted to do, but I like this one better.

James Cameron Known for Titanic and Avatar
Wrong: known for Titanic and Avatar

Definitely his biggest films, also definitely not his best.

Peter Weir has one of the weirdest filmography l can think of. l always forget he directed Truman Show and Dead Poet’s Society. lt is hard to believe he directed both Picnic at Hanging Rock and Master and Commander (a movie l watched only recently, and was blown away by).

Weirdly enough, the one movie l associate the most with him, and the one l always considered to me his most emblematic (if it makes sense for the director of such a diverse filmography) is The Last Wave.

For me it’s The Year of Living Dangerously. Every performance in that film — Mel Gibson, Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hunt, and all the supporting roles — is top-notch, the sense of time and place is perfectly captured, the cinematography is gorgeous.

Werner Herzog known for Fitzcarraldo and Woyzeck
Werner Herzog kown for Aguirre and Bad Lieutenant

its most often 1 of the films is the right choice and the other one is just off. I think that’s what triggers me most of the time. You get one film right and the second totally out of the blue.

Hitchcock? Tarrantino?

Psycho and Rebecca
Pulp Fiction and True Romance (really hard to get Tarrantino wrong)

How about Godard? Breathless certainly, but then?

Right: Breathless and Histoire(s) du cinéma (Contempt possibly, but it seems the trick is to highlight different era where possible)
Wrong: most any of his ‘70s movies.

But, I could see one of his more experimental movies from the new millennium entering the conversation in another decade or so.

I would be fine with Breathless and Alphaville

that’ so dumb!!! I look at it and just have to scream

I like Alphaville a lot too, but it rarely gets discussed so I don’t see it working here.

Pierrot le Fou is one of my favourite movies ever. La Chinoise is one of the worst things l’ve watched in my entire life.
l think Pierrot le Fou is also very often associated to his name, at least in Europe.

I wonder if there is a term for it, putting something significant with something insignificant together and call it a day.

I once read an article that referred to Alexander Payne as the director of Sideways and Downsizing, though that might just be because Downsizing was/is his most recent film.

Akira Kurosawa for Seven Samurai and Yojimbo.

(I had this in my pocket because I have never seen these films, but my research tells me if Ghost of Tsushima has me hankerin’ to watch classic Samurai cineme, these are the two to start with, so I’m going to sub Criterion Channel this weekend and check them out.)

Huh? .

Bathos, more or less.

Like the sphere?

Maybe ‘rarely’ is overstating things, but it certainly comes up less frequently than at least half-a-dozen or so other Godard films. Godard directed a lot of movies.

lf you like Westerns, you should like these two very much (and they may look very familiar too). However, do yourself a favour, and also watch Rashomon, Ran, Kagemusha and Dersu Uzala. These are all among the best movies ever made, in my opinion. Then, you will probably be convinced to watch everything Kurosawa ever did, several times.