Name me some modern day sex symbols

And I’m saying, if you’re going to make a blanket statement that baldness is always a negative, you need to explain black men, who often shave themselves bald as a deliberate stylistic choice, one which is clearly not penalized in terms of how they are perceived, otherwise they wouldn’t do it.

Also,

I think people are confusing what a sex-symbol is with people they find to be attractive/sexy. Felicia Day? Really? I thought her whole ‘appeal’ was that she -wasn’t- a sex-symbol.

A Sex-Symbol is like Marilyn Monroe. You didn’t have to find her attractive to know she was the sex-symbol for her time. I’d have to say Angelina Jolie is the ‘it’ Sex-Symbol for our time right now. Hell, so is Paris Hilton and I don’t think she’s attractive at -all-.

Edited to add: And the redhead posted above. Definitely.

I’m not being passive aggressive. I genuinely understand what you are saying, I genuinely disagree, and I genuinely don’t think there’s such a thing as “right” or “wrong” when you’re discussing a subjective opinion.

Seriously, dude, when have I ever been passively aggressive? I’m perfectly capable of being actively aggressive. Like this: Go project your own insecurities somewhere else, you vile, pus-infested pube muncher.

Mordrak is crazy on the anti-bald rant. Many people consider receding hairlines/baldness has a sign of virility or masculinity. There are a number of “defects” that look great on people if they are able to pull it off. It’s just a matter of how it works with their body type/any number of facial/body characteristics. Baldness could in fact be a boon to a man’s appearance.

Padma Lakshmi has an incredibly visible scar on her right arm which would in the great scheme of things would be considered a “defect” but, for her, only accentuates her beauty.

“Going gray” is another “fault” that would normally be considered unsexy, but for some people only makes them more attractive. George Clooney, De Niro, etc.

As for the man side of things. George Clooney, and Brad Pitt(ick) are givens. But I think more modern examples would be…

Hugh Jackman

Ryan Reynolds

And the newest up and comer, Sam Worthington

Because there’s a certain amount counter cultural cachet with it being wrapped up in athleticism, rebellion, and power.

You rarely see flabby fat guys with full heads of hair shaving their head to pick up chicks that’s not attached to a particular movement or countercultural style.

I’ve had long (beautiful) hair and now shave my head. Shaving my head has done me no harm in the Tang Dept. FWIW

I do think some guys with hair would shave it to get a certain look, but honestly that’s a lot of work if Mother Nature doesn’t do half the work for you.

Also, dudes often start working out when the hair starts going - chicken and egg thing there.

“I’m not saying you’re wrong, just no one agrees with you” is a passive aggressive way of saying you’re wrong because no one agrees with you.

I said she’s a sex symbol for geeks, just as Sarah Palin is for middle aged right wingers.

Hell, so is Paris Hilton and I don’t think she’s attractive at -all-

I don’t think Paris Hilton is a sex symbol. I think she’s a celebrity, but how many men (or women with the inclination) sit around talking about how hot she is and how they’d love to have sex with her?

Now there, you ARE wrong. The above sentiment only means what you say if you’re the sort of person who’ll e.g. stop liking something just because other people don’t like it. I’m not one of those people, and I don’t understand people who are like that. I’m sure as hell am not going to stop enjoying Questionable Content just because most other QT3ers don’t; Jose Liz isn’t going to stop liking Transformers movies just because most QT3ers don’t; you’re not going to stop thinking that baldness is anti-sexy just because everyone else on QT3 thinks it’s irrelevant.

Then why say it that way? Then why not just leave it at, “Hey, it’s subjective?” Did you really mean, “just shut up about it?” Then it’s still passive aggressive.

It’s the only possible response when you dismiss everyone who disagrees with you with “You’re not understanding my argument” or "The people who claim to find baldness or bald men attractive are (attracted to something else despite the badness) (have a bald fetish) (find it attractive because of some unrelated cultural stuff I made up).

Subjectivity is objective.

-xtien

That’s one opinion.

It’s not FOR you, it’s for the benefit of everyone else on this thread who IS saying that you’re wrong for thinking this. Because I think that they are wrong to say that, because what a given person finds sexy IS subjective.*

You think a bald guy is going to be less sexy than the same guy with all of his hair. I disagree; I don’t think hair (and where it is or is not) has anything to do with sexiness.

Tho’ while what someone finds sexy is subjective, the definition of what makes someone a “sex symbol” isn’t, so much, because that’s based more on the reaction of bunches of people – for example, Paris Hilton is a sex symbol, even though a whole bunch of QT3ers don’t find her even remotely attractive or sexy (and never did), because a large number of other people found the idea of a rebellious young coke-whore billionaire with a night-vision sex tape sexy as hell.

*EDIT: and, as Hugin says, it’s also to show that the issue here is not that we don’t understand what you’re saying, it’s that we disagree with it.

None. Most people are turned off by that shit.

For my definition of sex symbol, Angelina Jolie is a near perfect example. The only detraction being some of the weirdness during the Billy Bob years. Being a sex symbol is only partially about looks. Charisma, confidence, and poise are the charactereistics that separate the merely pretty from the true sex symbols. Good example is Mad Men. January Jones is a very pretty woman, but she fails miserably as a sex symbol compared to Christina Hendricks.

Also, where’s the love for Penelope Cruz? No mentions yet?

I’m not here debating trying to convince Angie, Mmalloy, Jojo, or Lynxara that they are secretly wrong and don’t really like whichever celebrities they each named. You see that I’m not trying to change their minds about who they find attractive.

I didn’t dismiss everyone, I tried to point out people are arguing against claims I didn’t make.

So, show me all these flabby fat guys who normally have full heads of hair shaving their heads that aren’t part of a countercultural movement just to pick up chicks?

To get back to the Paris Hilton thing and the definition of Sex Symbol:

Would your status in your circle of social peers/your community/the pop culture mainstream of your society be raised or enhanced if word got around that you were in a relationship with this person.

I’d argue that for Paris Hilton, in most cases the answer would be no, either most people wouldn’t care or they’d think you were some shallow spoiled dirtbag. Thus, not a sex symbol. If word got around you’d dated Marilyn Monroe, or Angelina Jolie, that would be seen as impressive by at least some people, even though both women had/have problematic aspects of their lives.

Plenty.

On the other hand, this is even better. Second hit for ‘felicia day sex symbol’ is this thread. Specifically a post saying she’s not. Third hit? A blog entry declaring Marge Simpson a sex symbol!

I get that you think Paris is not attractive. Neither do I. Doesn’t matter. According to the venerable Wiki.

That describes Paris. Angelina Jolie. Hell, Britney Spears. It doesn’t describe Felicia Day. Or, much as I love her, Tina Fey.