NAS NAS Baby

Also on my PC :(

I’m guessing this is part of the problem (my switch)

I don’t understand why the specs say up to 2000 Mbits/s if 1000BASE-T means 1000 Mbits/s

Long story short: I have some learning to do.

What switch is it?

Netgear GS105v5

This one? If so, that’s a 1 gigabit switch. That’s your problem right there.

2.5 gigabit switches appear to be much more expensive.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup :D

Is your nic 2.5 ?

If you have a long cable you can connect directly (bypass the switch) and check if the two end device ports can negotiate to 2.5g at least. Then you know it can work with an upgraded switch, or maybe direct connected if it handles the routing properly.

I posted above, my ports are reported to be 2.5Gbs

Okay thanks :D

I guess crossover cables aren’t a thing anymore

Doesn’t matter, everything is auto-detect, crossover ethernet isn’t a thing since 100baset died.

Holeee, this Terra-Master NAS OS is janky. Lack of polish everywhere. Cheap as dirt though.

I’ll have to go back to Synology for my next one.

Yep. There’s a reason we (mostly) pay more than the hardware is worth for the Synology version & it doubly sucks when you learn this lesson via a failure.

Swapped out my 1Gbit switch with my new 2.5Gbit switch. Nice bump in speed :D

Old switch.
original-pc-to-nas

New switch.
new-pc-to-nas

OK, NAS-folk of Qt3, quick question now that I’m one of you.

I bought a 2-bay Synology NAS and threw a single 8TB HD on there. I do intend to get a second as a backup. However, would I be able to buy a larger second HD, say 16TB, set it to mirror, and then one day replace the original 8TB HD with another 16TB?

Is that a thing, or do I need to buy a second NAS if I want to increase the storage?

Yes you can do that. You won’t get the full space if it’s larger though with only two drives, you’ll end up with an 8tb mirror.

Yeah, that’s what I figured, but I feel like I might as well get a larger drive now to prepare for the next step up.

Got a question for you folks. I recently installed Unraid OS and I’m using it as my NAS/Plex server. It’s pretty sweet so far! But my mATX motherboard only supports 4 SATA drives and I’ve already used all four. What’s the best way to add more internal SATA ports? Amazon has this $27 PCIe expansion board, is that really all I need? I see more expensive options ($70-$100) that are “HBA”, but I’m not sure what that is or what the differences are.