NBA 2017 - 2018

So true. :)

Given the massive talent disparity between east and west now, the NBA changed the all-star game. The top vote-getters will pick their teams, playground-style.

I just saw ESPN point out that it’s still 12 from each conference. So West bubble guys still get screwed.

Good idea… maybe.

Of course, NYC was all excited that if he took a step up, Kristaps might make the All Star team, given the weaker Eastern talent pool.

Probably not gonna happen now!

Embiid gets the $148M max extension after playing 31 career games.

Worth the money, if he’s healthy, which of course is the rub. Big gamble.

How much of that is guaranteed? If it turns out his injury issues are endemic maybe they cut him loose and are only on the hook for part of it.

NBA contracts are almost always fully guaranteed in general. There may be some incentives. I don’t know how those count against the cap. Have to search cbafaq.com.

Basketball Twitter thinks it might be 50% guaranteed, but I don’t think that’s nailed down yet.

Westbrook was a team ball player @ UCLA (and averaging double digit assists in the NBA is usually considered team ball). I think a lot has had to do with the talent surrounding him (ditto for Durant - look at how he moves the ball, and only goes one on one when the team needs it with the dubs).

I think this is more a reflection on the talent disparity there has been at OKC after Harden and Durant left. This season should be interesting, if they can work together.

The Sixers had to sign him. He’s a generational talent if he is healthy. There is no one like him in basketball. Other players have commented on his size, strength and mobility and how they have never seen anyone like him, ever. For those 31 games, he was game changing. I watched them all.

That said, it does sound like the contract has a lot of protection in it for the Sixers, too. That only makes sense and I think even Embiid and his agent had to agree that he’s a risk. I think he wants to be here in Philly, though. This town loves its players when they play as hard as he does. Him and Wentz have everyone pretty riled up, tbh.

They could’ve signed him next summer. He would’ve had a lower cap hold too. The only risk is him taking the qualifying offer, which seems suicidal given his injury history.

The advantage is if they were able to negotiate team-friendly stuff and protections in there. He might not have agreed to them next summer if he played 60+ games.

In other news, apparently Karl-Anthony Towns streams PUBG games on Twitch.

I read an article today that said this strategy would have been riskier, as another team could have loaded up their offer, forcing the Sixers to match it, and basically taking them out of the drivers’ seat. Doing it now keeps them in control (moreso, at any rate). It makes sense to me.

The whole narrative now, is that not committing to your sensational young players when they’re restricted FA’s disincentivizes them to stick around when they’re UFA’s. Not to mention, the Sixers are gonna ultimately have to spend the money on someone. If Embiid is a bust they’re doomed to mediocrity anyway, and his money would’ve gone to a succession of mid tier journeymen. May as well go for it.

He still gets a truckload of money. I’m not sure if it counts against the cap if they waive him.

They should just leave Embiid on a minutes restriction all year to see if they can get 70 games out of him. 22 points (14/18 FT) in 15 minutes.

The NBA will be so fun to watch this year.

The dude is so completely game changing. He’s freakish! They caught him shouting “You can’t fucking guard me!” after one of those fouls and by god, if any player can say that right now, it’s him! I’m so excited to watch Sixers games this season. I just hope we can get down there for at least one. I got to see him last year in person and he’s unbelievable.

I don’t have an NBA anymore thanks to David Stern, but I’ll root for the Spurs just for Coach Pop.