Necromunda: Hired Gun - Bounty Hunting 40K Style

Yep. I bought it on Series X and immediately regretted it last night. I asked for a refund, let’s see if I get it.

Yeah, I really hate the way wall running and movement in general just seems completely separated from physics.

I also don’t like the shooting.

ACG seems to like it, says to wait for a patch tho.

Oh hey, my refund request that the game “didn’t feel right” went through! Thank you Microsoft.

Seems like a $15 game at most. Budget DOOM Eternal.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, but it feels appropriately priced to me. It has solid combat, great aesthetics, generally solid level design, good W40k atmosphere, stuff to buy and upgrade, and a cyberdog. I find it more interesting than DOOM too.

The more I play this, the more I don’t like the combat.

1. The screen is just crazy littered with effects most of the time. Blobs of static for shields, damage indicators, sparks, bullet trails, weird environmental VFX, outlines of baddies. It’s a lot of visual noise and not in a good way.

2. The grapple hook and wall-running was awesome at first, but the jank of sometimes hitting weird environmental greeblies and coming to a dead stop, the floaty movement, and the heavy recoil on the weapons made it a bummer for me pretty quickly.

3. Enemy variety/animation sucks. They mostly just stand still and shoot, slowly creep forward and shoot, or jump charge at you. Using the grapple to pull shields out of dude’s hands and see them not react to their protection getting yanked away is never not bad looking.

4. The “loot” system is goofy. Not necessarily bad, but obtuse and ornery (for lack of a better word) and it just doesn’t feel like it’s adding anything except a minor menu roadblock between missions.

5. The faster devs stop shoehorning a skill upgrade system into every FPS game, the better. Not every game needs it, and this so clearly does not need it.

I’m six levels and a bunch of side missions in, and I think you’re in luck! I am adoring the level design in this thing. Massive, weird, odd proportions, encourages exploration, multiple routes, and minimal hand-holding.

What’s more, as a frequent detractor of the Warhammer license, I am loving how this game expresses its Warhammerness. It is to Warhammer 40k what The Mandalorian is to Star Wars: you’re a lone nimble badass badassing your way through the trappings of a familiar license, but seen from a different perspective.

More importantly, I can see how this is a direct offshot of the strangeness these guys were attempting with EYE: Divine Cybermancy. I always appreciated how that game refused to imitate other games in the genre, how it was dead set on being its own weird thing, a mix of shooter and skill-based RPG with its own esoteric progression scheme. Yep, Necromunda is by the EYE: Divine Cybermany guys, all right.

As with Outriders, I can see how this won’t work for some people. But it’s definitely working for me. If the price for something unique is a bit of jank, I’m happy to pay.

Oh, and that DLSS. Oooh la la, what a difference it makes. From now on, I want DLSS in every game!

-Tom

You forgot vowels :O

As someone prone to forgetting entire words, that wouldn’t surprise me. But I doublechecked, and all the letters are there:

It’s basically an adaptive graphics setting that you can use to maintain a more consistent framerate. But I think you need an RTX card.

-Tom

Wow, that sounds kinda awesome.
I have an RTX 2060 in my laptop, I’m not clear if that would work with it. Probably not I am guessing.

Yep any RTX card supports DLSS. :)

I had freaking no idea: there are so many weird acronyms and words in the settings, I assumed every single one of them was going to lower the framerate and heat up the card!

No, DLSS is one acronym you want on your side.

Yep, you don’t want the enemy to have DLSS.

I remember back in school, my dorm room had ethernet while the rest of the world was on dialup. I was the Angel of Death in Quakeworld. Imagine that feeling of complete domination, combined with taking a piss right after waking up when you really gotta go, and then your dad haltingly says he’s proud of you. That’s DLSS.

You ever really have to take a shit, but you’re out and about and you’re walking around all day, and your dingleberries melt into hot sweat greasing up your asshole so it itches like crazy, then you get home and let loose and when you wipe your butt it’s like ten thousand million billion orgasms? That’s DLSS.

Damn, that’s very high praise.

Most of the visual effect thingies/labels can be turned off though, there is that.

I just didn’t like that everything felt weightless, including the player and the enemies. What I’ve learned from this is that I should not try EYE either, if it’s like this game in that way.

Their previous game had you playing space marines, that felt like they weighted a few tons, so I am wondering if the game just needs a patch to adjust game play feel?

Dev’s posted know issues so far with the game that they are working on:

I can understand the complaint, but I actually like this element of Necromunda. You’re just a regular* guy running around, and not one of the usual bulky Warhammer dudes in power armor. Yet you’re still in that Warhammer setting of absurdly colossal industrial machinery and absurdly soaring Gothic architecture. But instead of clumping around slowly like a Space Marine, you’re wall running, double jumping, and grapple-hooking around like Rico in Just Cause.

It’s also worth noting that you’ll run into enemies that break the mold even more when you do the Cold Black level, which introduces – and I’m going to spoiler this, but if you’re on the fence about this game, you might consider clicking the spoiler if you want a little nudge – a Space Hulk and Genestealers.

So while I understand that there are ways to make things feel weighty, I do enjoy feeling more spry than you’d expect in a Warhammer game, and how it’s used to differentiate different enemies.

Nvidia needs to hire @stusser to write their marketing copy.

-Tom

* bionics aside