Necromunda: Hired Gun - Bounty Hunting 40K Style

Skill Up gives it a thumbs up!

I bought this, and it’s unlocked now. Played the first mission. It’s got some jank, but it’s also got some heart. It’s pretty good so far, especially at a AA price rather than $60.

Nice, 2 Warhammer games with positive reception releasing a week apart. Hoping to get some time in this week.

I like how Hired Gun is being described as an old school shooter.

Early reviews on Steam are “Mixed”, with lots of negative ones complaining about jank and inexplicable drops in frame rates. Not many reviews on there yet though.

I kind of really want this. What platform though? Series X or PC?

Keep in mind you can grab it for 24 dollars on epic. It looks like it could be fun, but based on the review @MrTibbs posted, doesn’t seem like there’s any loot variety, so likely not something ups play over and over?

A bit rough around the edges, but still…That’s beautiful, man.

Okay, I’m intrigued, as I am all about old school shooters.
I have zero knowledge of anything 40K.
I’m wondering if this would work for me as a traditional shooter.

Wait. So this is a loot shooter?

I’ve only read/watched a tiny bit, but a few first impressions describe the action as taking inspiration from the days of arena shooters the way you ping pong around a large space at faster than average speeds. Also has wall running and a grappling hook so some pulls from Titanfall style shooters.

Those with actual game experience can probably be much more precise.

Ah, okay. Thanks. Probably not my thing then, as I’m more about exploration than arenas.

After the first mission, the only one I’ve played, it feels not so much “old school” as “lean.” Not in a bad way, though. The level I played was a mix of narrow and wide-open areas, plenty of places to duck behind and take cover. Lots of vertical. It’s not a loot shooter really, not like say Borderlands, as far as I can tell. You get money from kills and selling stuff you can’t use, and use that to buy better stuff. On the first mission I found a couple of weapons, some armor pieces, and some charts/trinkets that have stat bonuses (or you can sell them).

There are NPCs to upgrade things, again for cash. No clue if there is crafting or any sort, or raw materials, etc. There are healing doohickies,chests you can loot presented with X/N notifications, stuff like that.

My only complaints really echo what others have said. I have a pretty high tolerance for jank as long as it isn’t fatal. Stuff like Elex is fine, and this falls sort of into that category. There are occasional but generally insignificant frame rate slowdowns very briefly (2070 S/Ryzen 5 3600) running at 1440p/165Hz, but generally no issues there. Some of the animations are clunky, and the biggest annoyance is that when aiming down sights, sometimes the horizontal mouse speed slows down so it’s harder to track a target than it should be. That, and holding the right button to aim sometimes doesn’t “take,” especially after say a reload. You sometimes have to “double clutch” the right button. But this is far from the only game that has that issue.

Overall, it seems to nail the Warhammer 40k lunacy pretty well, looks good, and plays like I figured it would. The guns deliver good, meaty impacts, movement is pretty precise and wall running is, if not Titanfall 2 level, smooth and relatively easy to nail.

Thank you, Mr. Wombat. That was helpful.

That sounds okay to me then. So more along the lines of something like say Thief? Loot that is useful?

This is really janky. I’m not hating it, but this teeters on the line of jank-that’s-fun and jank-that’s-annoying.

It’s absurdly janky. The way sliding and wall-running is handled feels like I’m weightless. I can spam the space bar in enclosed areas and ping pong into all sorts of nooks I’m not supposed to be in. It doesn’t seem to be tied to player momentum at all. The starting pistol takes up the whole screen, which just looks goofy! The scale and detail of the sci-fi level architecture is very impressive though and since I want more AA fps games I’ll definitely stick with it.

“Jank-that’s-fun” sounds like an euphemism for “I wish I didn’t buy this”.
This is so disappointing to read, as one of the many EYE fans here.

I’d have thought that as an EYE fan, you’d have a good handle on the concept of jank that’s fun.

This looks way less janky than EYE…

I thought jank defined something broken, or even crashy, with poor consideration for the player/ EYE’s balance was broken, you had to massively edit files structure to change language, and featured ridiculously large architecture, but I’d never questioned the game itself, nor thought it was incompetent.

Also my second line wasnt about that particular comment, but what others had posted so far. Stop trying to confuse me.

Not necessarily ‘broken’, just… ‘not a polished experience’, I guess. Things can be functional, yet come across as feeling cheap/slightly off, especially when compared with other things on the market that did some of those bits substantially better.

EYE was chock to the brim with ambition jank; lots of cool but somewhat poorly implemented ideas. Which was part of the reason I (we?) enjoyed it.

I think this is (much) less janky but perhaps also less ambitious. I’m enjoying it so far, though. I feel like it’s perhaps it’s shaping up to be one of those 10/10 7/10 games?* I’m only a couple of missions in, the grappling hook’s great (obtained half way through mission 2) and while I’m finding it a mite easy, the mobility and punchy guns are so far enough to keep me going.

* A shame that my preorder prescience seems to have failed me; I’ll confess to being mildly undisappointed that this is no Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Yeah, jank is more lack of polish (and budget) than something directly broken. Animations not in sync as they should is janky. Obtuse UI is janky. Being killed by a door closing is janky. Characters turning like robots unnaturally is janky.

Keys are finally up on the Humble Store, if anyone else bought it there.