Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

So perfect.

This is one of those incidents where, if no gun was involved, everyone would still be alive.

A follow-up on the teen Nazi who killed his girlfriendā€™s parents:

Briefly, a 40-foot swastika was mowed into the common area of the neighborhood and the tracks of the riding mower led back to the teenā€™s house.

The nearby neighbors debated what to do about it, and they eventually settled on going to the parents rather than calling the cops. The parents said that they were ā€œgetting him treatmentā€. The group of neighbors then mowed over the swastika so that their neighborhood wouldnā€™t have a Nazi symbol in the middle of it, and that was the end of the matter.

Except then two months later, this kid killed a couple people.

Tough call on this one. In hindsight, obviously everyone wishes that they went to the cops instead of the parents, but I have to say I think I wold have done the same thing in their shoes. For a non-violent incident Iā€™d pretty much always err on the side of working with my neighbors (especially if I knew and liked them) over involving the cops.

I think itā€™s a mistake to believe anything involving Nazis is ever going to remain non-violent. The girlā€™s parents, who are dead, their response was correct and clearly right on. Everyone else who gave him the benefit of the doubt probably needs to rethink their approach. I am not talking about throwing people in prison automatically for being a Nazi. But itā€™s a very big deal from the very start.

I doubt going to the cops would have changed much. Theyā€™d have dismissed it as prank vandalism, and heā€™d probably have gotten a warning or something.

It was a non-violent incident with no (permanent) property damage. White kid, first offense? What would police have done?

I imagine thereā€™s a hate crime or menacing statute of some kind, maybe. Though this is Virginia, so maybe not.

I guess we can assume the kid was white. I agree the cops probably wouldnā€™t have (and likely couldnā€™t have) done anything more than show up and look stern.

BUT, getting the cops involved might have (a) made the boyā€™s parents take his political stances more seriously, and (b) maybe pushed the girlfriendā€™s parents into action a little sooner, and to a potentially happier end.

BUT BUT, getting the cops involved in ANY non-violent situation seems like a poor idea nowadays.

Maybe. They did pretty much everything the way I would have: They went to the (private) school administrators, they contacted his parents, and of course they cut off his access to their daughter.

However, from my reading of the articles, it sounds like the boy was breaking into their house at night to visit their daughter (even before the last fatal night). Assuming they knew about that, they ALSO had the option to bring in the cops and (apparently) chose not to act on that choiceā€¦ possibly because their daughter would have been a party to whatever charges might have been filed.

It will be interesting see how the evening actually went down ā€“ did the kid break into their house, or did the daughter let him in because they were still seeing each other on the sly?

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/946168684254507008

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/946169576613654533?s=17

Amazing.

The fuck what?

OTOH

Man, here I was thinking I escaped seeing stuff like that a couple years ago.

Humanityā€™s had its chance.
Now itā€™s the fireā€™s turn.

I truly wish it was fireā€™s turn. @fire for president 2020!

I knew youā€™d come around!

Itā€™s a pretty great thread.

That punch never gets old.

They have the other big Nazi punch of the year as well in that thread, which Iā€™d forgotten about. So satisfying.

hahah

ā€œHey, Iā€™m just being a peaceful naziā€

OK, so before I post a link to a Twitter thread, hereā€™s what it is. Milo Y. wrote a draft of a book for Simon and Schuster. The editor HATED it. The publisher HATED it. They decided they didnā€™t want to publish it, because it was a superficial work full of incendiary jokes with no coherent or sophisticated of political issues of free speech, etc. Milo sued them. His manuscript was attached in the court documents, including the editorā€™s increasingly aggravated comments.

Some of those comments are presented in this Twitter thread, and theyā€™re funny/sad.

The best part of that is the editor was a guy that has edited dozens of conservative books previously. He was losing his mind about halfway through Miloā€™s asinine manuscript.