Netflix's Warrior Nun is the best thing I've seen in a long time

Main character gets much less annoying halfway through. There’s a big shift around Ep 4, people actually talk to each other.

I’m enjoying it well enough. The settings are beautiful and I like most of the characters. Yes it is predictable but I wasn’t expecting anything else so I’m ok with that.

My issue is that very few of the characters react like real people for the first up until the fight in the garage. Ava is way too calm about coming back from the dead, being healed of 10+ years of being a quadriplegic, and learning that it is divine magic at work (in a world where that is not generally known to exist even if that masquerade breaks in a later episode). The nuns are worse.

Edit to say that @Wisefool posted while I was typing. He’s right - after a certain point people start to talk to each other and more or less listen.

Might want to spoiler that for those few in the thread who haven’t yet seen the show, but just a thought.

Me, I’m impressed that someone had the courage to draw out Hero Resists The Call To Adventure to fully half their narrative without the crutch of interesting character interactions to color it in with.

Are you very mad at the show?

I’ve only seen the first episode, but it seems fun so far.

Adam is mad at a LOT of things. It’s part of his charm. ;)

I mean, I’m not inviting it to my quinceañera. But yeah, I felt the same way after one episode ;)

I can always go back to the previous avatar if it helps reduce cognitive dissonance around here ;)

Holy shit. I will never look at my son’s dinosaur books the same way again. Motherfucking pterodactyl indeed.

After googling what this is, I am now more confused than ever!

Anyways - I hate shows that start out strong, but peter out at the end or middle, or wherever they decide to peter out.

This is based on a comic, right? That should help a bit, since there already is an established story.
Sometimes, watching shows, I have a feeling people just make up stuff on the spot, and just figure they can deal with the consequences of whatever story they invent later on. (See: Lost, seasons 2-11)

Europeans don’t have the equivalent of a sweet 16 or coming of age party? Marry off the girls and stuff.

I tracked down the comic books, they are very different. Character names are kept but they have different roles completely. There’s big spoilers thought, don’t touch them till you finish it all.

Nope - I mean, I understand what it is, based on movies, but I really never would have guessed that Adam was a person that was close to hosting his/her quinceañera ! (I feel I was trying for some joke here that fell quite a bit through - sorry about that).

Anyways - good to know about the comic, though! The world seems interesting at first glace, which is why I was curious why Adam really disliked it as much as he did.

I am indeed not a 16yo young woman of Mexican heritage, not sure what broke my cover ;) Was just feeling saucy this morning, heh.

Caveat: I have not read the source material comics, so anything here is just about the show.

My wife and I binged this over the long weekend. After two episodes we were asking each other, “Should we keep watching this? This is really bad. Let’s give it one more episode.” After the third, it was, “Well, that improved a bit. The annoying squatter ‘friends’ are on the wane and the internal monologue thing is less. Let’s try one more.” After four, there was no looking back and we watched the remaining six in one afternoon.

Overall, a fun bit of world building. The show plays it straight even (especially?) when things go full on absurd. Some things, like Church politics, were caricaturist, which was annoying, but in a show about a secret militant order of nuns, I really can’t get too worked up about realism in Church matters. ;)

I, too, really like that the show didn’t resolve the reluctant hero arc in a quick and easy episode of come-to-jesus epiphany. (As an aside, if they’d had the sword be Damascus steel style forged, that would have been a hoot).

Some of the mary characterization choices from Toya Turner had an echo of Regina King’s Angela Abar (Watchmen) to them, which I liked. In particular the sometimes minimalist approach to dialog, with a tilt of the head or the timing of a raised eyebrow doing the heavy lifting.

The plot was entertaining enough, if a bit heavy handed. Most of the twists and turns were foreshadowed sufficiently that the ending surprises weren’t completely out of left field.

All told, the show overcame a rocky start to be a lot of fun.

Looking forward to season 2!

You might get a kick out of this:

The problem with that is that I have my TV settings tweaked to the nth degree. I hate having to fix my TV which is not broken, for the video feed which is.

OK, that’s bloody awesome!

Finished this last night. I guess I’ll come back for a second season, but the ending was a big miss for me.

I’m not a fan of the “the good guy was actually the one doing bad stuff” trope that they pulled with Duretti at all. They must also be extremely confident about getting a second season since the final episode gave us crumbs of answers and then piled more questions on.

Thanks for sharing this. My wife was done after episode 2 - “This is a show you can watch” being code for “hell no”. I read her your post and we both enjoyed episode 3 tonight.

Interesting to read the lead actress is Portuguese, and this was her first English speaking role. I would never have thought that as she’s got no accent that I heard.

The first half of the season was great, but I think it went downhill in the middle after Ava started waiting tables.

I’m in for a S2 regardless, though.