New American Godzilla Movie

I don’t trust this review at all.

He slammed the movie over a nonsensical plot? OK.

Audience scores at RT are at 90%.

I think this might be a highly annoying instance where the reviewer judges the movie through entirely inappropriate lenses / dislikes the genre he is reviewing / doesn’t get the point of such movies to begin with.

I could be wrong. I’ll check it out tonight and report back.

I have no idea whether his review will align with my opinion or not, but I love “fart noises” is part of the title.

I must admit I giggled like a 10 year old when I read that.

Yeah, the critic/audience ratio is quite stunning

A Godzilla movie really isn’t a movie you can look to critics for thoughts on as a Godzilla fan. A critically well reviewed one would probably also be a bad Godzilla movie. This isn’t to say that this is a good Godzilla movie, I haven’t seen it yet, but if you are a Godzilla fan you should know better than to look at critical consensus, most Godzilla movies would be reviewed poorly.

Godzilla doesn’t care about any reviews.

The 2014 one just turned up on UK Netflix but as I don’t have night vision I didn’t have a clue what was going on.

There is an Asylum film premiering on SyFy right now called “Monster Island” that’s trying to get some of the Godzilla hype. So far so bad. First giant monster just showed up.

Anyone seen the new Big G yet and can report in?

I liked it. It’s very much a Godzilla movie. There’s a lot of sci-fi nonsense this time. Decent amount of monster action.

Pretty much what ff wrote, though I think the 2014 movie did a better job of conveying the new size of Godzilla.

Saw it today with the kids. It was OK I guess? The story made 0 sense but I guess that’s to be expected from this type of movie.

You might want to get one of these to watch both. It’s always night and raining when these monsters are having at it.

Anyway, aren’t these supposed to be part of a cinematic universe? Why not use the same actors from the previous movie and try to develop some audience attachment to the characters?

As it was, 2 characters heroically sacrificed themselves and I couldn’t care less. Compare this with Tony’s last stand…

Saw this with the wife this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised. I had set a pretty low bar for it, but it is actually not bad. I thought the story was stupid, as pretty much everyone else has said, but they got the titans right, and I thought captured some of the spirit of the old Japanese movies. The parents are the worst two characters in the show. You root for her to go to jail for roughly 200,000 years, and for him to get eaten by wolves. But I thought the titan parts were just fine.I didn’t realize the Stranger Things girl was the center of the story, but she’s pretty good in the role. Overall, for monster movies, it held up well.

Three of the main characters from the prior movie are in the movie.

This movie completely delivers, and it’s a shame that it’s not doing better in North America (although doing well world-wide). It’s extremely respectful to the Japanese movies; all the titans are amazing; and the human stuff works relatively well until the last 3rd, when it gets pretty goofy, but that’s sadly par for the course. Still a top tier giant monster movie, with amazing effects

Two tiny girls singing to a moth goofy? :)

That song is in this movie! There are tons of Easter Eggs like that for fans.

Yeah. I have to catch this soon. Sounds like fun.

Yeah, the twins are definitely here.

As a kid, the goofy, quirky stuff pissed me off. I want my giant monsters to be serious! Now I appreciate that it’s all part of the gestalt. Even the son of Godzilla.

This movie is definitely played straight. More so than the 2014 Godzilla, even.

I wouldn’t say main characters, well maybe Ken Watanabe, but the rest not so much. I suppose its to do with the previous moview released 4 or 5 years ago. I didn’t remember much about it.

Also. I never saw these as a kid so I’m completely loosing out on the nostalgia factor which I think is a major factor in enjoying these.