New Music in 2023 - one day, we'll be cool

Ian Hunter of Mott The Hoople and “Cleveland Rocks” fame is 83 years old.

This is his new (no really) single from his upcoming album.

Sweet jeebus. I wanna be Ian Hunter when I grow up. (It helps that, unlike many singers of his generation, when Ian was making hits in the 1970s, his signing voice sounded like the hoarse croak of an 80-year-old man.)

The folks playing on this album…

Hunter used the pandemic layoff to write two albums – the first of which, “Defiance Part 1,” comes out Friday, April 21, and would be impressive just on the merit of Hunters’ still-potent performance and writing. But then there’s the guest list and – well, strap yourself in as he’s joined by Ringo Starr, Todd Rundgren, Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott, Guns N’ Roses’ Slash and Duff McKagan, Metallica’s Robert Trujillo (playing the same bass Jaco Pastorius used on Hunter’s “All American Alien Boy” in 1976), Aerosmith’s Brad Whitford, ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons, Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, Johnny Depp, Billy Bob Thornton and three-quarters of Stone Temple Pilots. If that’s not enough, “Defiance” also features a couple of late greats – Jeff Beck on “No Hard Feelings” and Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins on three tracks.

I mean, when Ian Hunter calls and asks if you want to play on his record, I guess you say “Yes please.”

Lord almighty!

Great songs, especially the second one. It has a ‘Vienna’ quality.

EDIT: my own contribution to the thread…the Duff returns.

A very strong debut single. NSFW language. The Last Dinner Party, Nothing Matters.

Man I need to catch up on this thread. Altin Gun sounds really good – love the way it offers an easily embraceable musical on-ramp to styles that I’ve heard A LOT (music from Turkey and elsewhere in the Middle East and Northern Africa) that typically just is so far from my frame of reference that I don’t connect.

And Nation Of Language I remember from a couple of years ago and remember being charmed by them putting out a record on PIAS (there’s a callback!) and wanting to hear more. So this is me, hearing more and liking it a lot!

All of which is kind of burying the lede. THERE’S NEW MUSIC FROM STEPHEN DUFFY!!!

I had no idea! And it’s very much in keeping with his latter-day Lilac Time stuff from the turn of the millennium.

And now listening to The Last Dinner Party, we’re 2 minutes into the song and I’m thinking “Oh, I kind of have a feel for what this band is doing, and I get it and it’s pretty cool.” AND THEN THE GUITAR SOLO BRIDGE. :)

I don’t like that Smokey Robinson’s new album is called GASMS.

These dudes can’t be out of high school.

But apparently they have listened to a ton of Bitch Magnet, Seam, and Chavez records. Pretty fucking great to have your debut big label song be in a really weird time signature for rock (I think it’s 5/8, maybe?)

Anyway, this is dope.

You think they look like babies in that video, look at their promo pic from 2020:

That song slaps, however old they are. Very Sonic Yoot.

There’s finally a new Clientele album in July!

OMG. They’re fetuses!

Also, holy shit is that Clientele song great, right? Like it’s not just me wanting it to be good, it really, really is pretty awesome. I think it might be the most upbeat-sounding song in the Clientele catalog, maybe?

Yes. Blue Over Blue is definitely great.

“We’d always been interested in music other than guitar music, like for donkey’s years,” vocalist/lyricist/guitarist Alasdair MacLean says. This time out, he — alongside bassist James Hornsey and drummer Mark Keen — incorporated elements of post-bop jazz, contemporary classical and electronic music. According to MacLean, “None of those things had been able to find their way into our sound other than in the most passing way, in the faintest imprint.”

“Donkey’s years.” I love that jagged, scuzzy little riff in Blue Over Blue. Reminds me of Os Mutantes.

And that flute interlude near the end sounds just like The United States of America.

Anyway, now I’m even more excited for the full (double!) album coming soon. They’re one of my all time favorite bands.

Well, there’s this one:

But yeah, it’s a really great song,really kind of odd for the Clientele. Can’t wait to hear the whole thing.

Earworm alert…been singing “left right forward and bring it back” under my breath for the last three days.

That is an absolute fucking banger.

Also love: lead singer in an interview calling this song “The punk rock Cha Cha Slide”. LOL

Liking these weird summer vibes…

A new album from Blur is due out July 21! Great album cover and first single…

I always liked Blur, but they were just a little too arch to obsess over.

If the rest of this album is that good, this might be the first one to be really swoonworthy.

New album coming in September from these teenagers!

I am very much digging the new Blur. And I’m trying to talk myself into the Teenage Fanclub, but I want to hear more.

Meanwhile, here’s PACKS, the musical project of a nice Canadian artist named Madeline Link. I think they’re kinda great – it has that kind of laid-back, Tim Presley or Goodbye Bread-era Ty Segall thing going.

I love the new Orbital. I wish this song had been on the album. The only explanation I can think of is that they must have recorded this after they finished work on the album, so now have released it as a single.

I haven’t revised my French since high school, so I only catch a few of the words of the lyrics when I’m walking around and listening to this song. But I kind of like it that way. Her voice is so lovely, and I like that I only catch a few of the words with my rusty French.

…and did you know

DID YOU KNOW

That apparently Beach Fossils released their first album of new material in like 6 years this week?!?!

Holy hell is this good: