New QT3 Front Page

Spoken like someone who doesn’t remember the days when auto-playing MIDI music, animated glitter backgrounds, comet cursors, and “skip intro” buttons ruled the land.

There has been and always will be both good and bad web design, but broadly speaking things are better now than they used to be.

Yea.

There are much better now

In part because us programmers don’t make everything anymore, and we get help from real designers, so now webpages have matching colours, good taste in fonts and decent space distribution.

And very young designers get training in design for computers. Old designers where trained to design for printing, and is a completely different world. For about 15 years designers has been accepting how this roll with design on the internet, and they are not leading the way in many things.

Everything is improving all the time. We get nowdays very quick update from browsers, so the time from the proposition of a new idea, to it be standardized and implemented everywhere is very sort. This make the industry (web design) interesting for smart people, and smart people make beautiful smart things.

Its important to have smart people, because the internet is a glass house where everybody can see each other source code, and learn from others. So the smartest of the smart work is visible even for humble boring people like me, and learn.

Looks good!

After a few days of use I’m starting to see what the folks complaining about the size of the top banner on the front page are getting at. It does sort of completely take over my screen initially, preactically shouting LOOK AT ME DAMN YOU!

Could the coding there be changed to display 3 or maybe 4 of the pictures and headlines in a scrollable banner format, similar to what Yahoo does on it’s front page? That way you could leave the actual space the same size, but you’d fit far more content in it, producing more click throughs in the process.

I’m torn on the rest of the front page layout. On the one hand, I really do like the dual column format with the articles on the left and the picture links to more content on the right. However it does seem like those right-hand content pictures and links are rather large. That said, a significant portion of our gamer population is aging, so perhaps large isn’t neccesarily a bad thing. ;-)

Overall though, let me reiterate that I really like the new look. Well done.

Whoa, whoa, whoa…

The two big bright ads yelling at me to support QT3 by donating remind me of the constant reminders in LoTRO to USE THE CASH SHOP NOW. I donated, does that mean I don’t need to see the supplication ads now?

There is a missing </title>. Or seems that way when browsing on Safari with iPhone 5.

Also on vertical screen, the article titles are so big they fit just one word per line. Wish it were a tad more condensed.

They only show up if you’re using an ad-blocker. Otherwise you see normal banner ads.

That probably explains what I’m seeing too. I’m using Firefox on Win7 and the title (when I hover over the tab) for the QT3 frontpage includes HTML linking to a Riddick JPG.

The front page no longer denies me viewing privileges based on the status of my un-upgradeable IE8 browser at the office. That’s progress.

I can’t get to the front page at all right now (also using IE, but 10). Forums are working fine if I bypass it, however.

Heh, I just held my nose and tried IE10 too. The frontpage caused it to repeatedly crash. So that’s probably not a great sign.

Front page works great for me. I do have one problem. I use my browser windowed basically exclusively and whenever I click on forums in the drop down menu there is another little menu that I can’t see due to the QT3 banner. I click on it anyways and it sends me to the forums but it seems a little weird.

The front page was crashing on me earlier today in IE, but that’s new behavior. I’ve been to the front page since the upgrade and it didn’t crash. They’re probably monkeying with it as a result of the feedback, figuring things out in the live deployment.

EDIT: I just went to the front page and it worked fine this time.

Not for me. I get a so-brief-it’s-nearly-subliminal flash of the first article and then am redirected to an error page.

Front page is crashing consistently for me in IE10. Gives me an error message with this URL:

res://ieframe.dll/acr_error_IM.htm#quartertothree.com,http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/

Crashed immediately for me w/ IE 10 on Windows 8. I only checked out of curiosity as it works fine w/ Chrome.

Definitely agree with Chris that not allowing zooming is a big annoyance.

That’s pretty nifty tracking down how it worked Chris, I always wondered why some websites wouldn’t scale. I had assumed it was a CSS thing, but I guess not.

All’s well now, at least for me.

From the front page, after i click on the forum drop down, then ‘forum’ select is covered by the picture. Using chrome.