NFL 2023

Wow nice. MNF will have decent commentary for once.

DeShaun will face no criminal charges.

Wentz trade looks even dumber now. League will throw up their hands and let Watson play, and he would have fit right in with Dan Snyder’s Washington Commies.

I’ve been seeing rumors that Seattle has been pushing for Watson. I guess we’ll see if there’s anything to that.

Watson trade is going to be fascinating for a couple factors. And I am super happy that the Bears aren’t going to pursue him.

Pretty much the whole NFL ecosystem seems to agree that for whatever reasons this year’s draft class is super weak at the top end so early first rounders aren’t as valuable as normal. And whatever team trades for him is likely to not have an early first rounder next year (although obviously it can happen).

Would the Giant’s this year 5 and 7 overall and next year’s #1 do it? Would Seattle’s 9 overall this year and their and the Broncos 1st next year be more appealing despite being more likely to be in the back half? The Lions have 2 and 32 overall this year.

The Jets have a ton of draft capital, do they get impatient and package Zach Wilson and some combination of the 4th and 10th overall and their two seconds?

It’s the Texans. They’ll settle for a second rounder and an RB.

I would be completely stunned if the Lions made a move for Watson. I put the odds at slightly lower than the odds of getting hit by lightning while being eaten by a shark.

Watson is very affordable for the next four years he is under contract when you consider that whoever he goes to won’t owe him anything but base salary + incentives. We’re talking salary between $20-32m. He’s also young and obviously talented. While he will likely be suspended at some point, that could be some time off as the civil cases wind through the court system. Supposedly the Panthers are very interested and so are some other teams. He does control where he goes, though, as he has a no trade clause the Texans have to deal with. Caserio will get max value for him too.

As for Seattle, I really think they are going to draft someone, not trade for Watson or anyone else.

Fox letting Buck/Aikman go, combined with them letting CBS take the premier first round game (Sunday afternoon no matter who it is) has me thinking they (Fox) have decided the NFL’s value is so much and not much more. So the NFL probably maxed out this new TV deal pretty well. Who the new Fox #1 team is will be interesting to see next season.

If the Seahawks get Watson there’s going to be a very vocal negative reaction with a large number of fans, particularly female fans.

Hopefully the team realizes this.

Besides that, there’s no use burning all those new draft assets in a trade right now. It’s not like the team is a QB away. Both offense and defense have too many holes that need to be plugged before this team can think of battling the Niners or the Rams for the division, let alone a Super Bowl.

I don’t think drafting a QB this year is a good idea, either. As one commentator noted, the QB is the last piece you get, because that way you can maximize their rookie deal. You don’t draft a young QB at the beginning of a rebuild and then spend the next three years getting the rest of the pieces that you need.

This is what happens when you pay an RB $18 million a year.

Browns get Amari Cooper for a fifth round pick.

Art Thiel is a longtime Seattle sporstwriter.

Cooper is a WR not a RB, but pretty much the same thing applies all though WR tend to have longer careers than RBs.

The point being that they have so much money tied up in QB and RB that they’re having to firesale.

I’m not disagreeing with your argument that they have too much tied up in Prescott and Zeke but calling it a fire sale is a bit of a stretch. Or, anyway, they are coming out of this just fine. Remember, Gallup and Schultz were free agents. They’ve kept them and gotten rid of their arguably most underperforming (relative to his contract) receiver. They still have Lamb, so they are going to be fine. This also gives them more flexibility in terms of other high priced players like Collins and Lawrence, who have been rumored to be on the cut or trade list.

Pete is on record saying he doesn’t want a rebuild and thinks they are closer than you or I would probably believe. So, I absolutely think they will draft a QB. They traded Wilson right after the combine, which suggests to me they wanted to be comfortable with what their options there are. More importantly, they have a lot of cap space (#3 right now at $40m) and I think they believe they can solve most of their problems in free agency. What New England did last year is probably the model they would point to, though I expect they will trade up and take their QB, not wait to see who falls to them at #9.

Unless ownership has made a commitment to Pete and John beyond 2022 (and reports say they haven’t), then waiting a year to draft a QB would be a mistake for them. They need to win now or show a bright future is near. Rolling out one of the QBs they have now or relying on a mid priced vet for a year likely means a coaching change for next season.

Guess Brady has unretired. Ugh.

He’s back, and Karen stayed in Green Bay. Doesn’t matter what else happens. Worst NFL off-season ever.

Hahahahahahahahaha… Brady just screwed this dude over

So what’s the line on “Brady never intended to retire, he just wanted all the retirement/unretirement attention”?