NieR: Automata

Ugh, maybe we do need a spoiler thread so I can do a mild, loving mini rant about that.

NieR: Automata SpoilYoRHa Thread seems sufficiently awful.

Yea, but how many surprises really hold?. Time will tell!

Ending E spoilers:

(seriously, don’t read unless you’ve finished the game)

[spoiler]That decision made it the best, and the most emotionally moving, ending that I’ve experienced in a videogame. It was also probably the most meaningful decision I’ve made in one, because the sacrifice is something genuinely real (albeit still just data from a videogame) and it helps another player that will likely never even get to directly thank you. Plus the knowledge that other players made that same sacrifice to rescue me. I found that rather profound for a game.

It was a decision that I didn’t have to think about before knowing that I’d pick “yes”. I still had things I wanted to do in the game, but I’m happy I went through with it. Watching the lengthy deletion sequence was oddly emotional too.[/spoiler]

But you are tempting me!, arggh :D

[details=Ending E]See it annoyed me because just like Dark Souls they’re making this arbitrary challenge to get gamers to help each other outside the traditional boundaries of a game. The thought is beautiful but it doesn’t feel earned. They just turned the shmup pattern up to 11. It’d be another thing if 9S was trying to save 2B from the hordes or something in the context of the storyline. Instead they just made something up and then guilted people into blowing away 30 hours of JRPG grind.

I love that it worked for you guys, but it broke the suspension of disbelief for me. Which bums me out.[/details]
This feels like Mass Effect 2 all over again. Why am I so weird?

I have so much to reply but I’d rather do it in a dedicated spoiler thread.

And yeah, you’re weird. ;)

Ok I’ll make one later.

Costume and arena DLC.

I honestly have no desire for either of those. This game is more like The Witcher 3 where I’m only interested in a beefy expansion pack.

I picked this up over the weekend and I’m about 15 hours into my first playthrough. I’m finding it weird, but I have very little experience with JRPGs. I’m, hoping there will be some sort of plot-related explanation for why a futuristic battle android wears a thong that is inadequately covered by her very short skirt, as it’s confusing my wife.

When Western developers do that we have a little freak out and a call to self-reflection. When Japanese developers do it we just smile and laugh at their silly ways.

Click the DLC link above and be amazed.

I guess there’s a multi-layered reason for it (a sex and violence thing) but not really.

“Let’s sell DLC where you strip the main character down to nothing and then make her fight our CEO’s.”

The Japanese are just on a different plane of existence, man.

For some reason the fan on my PS4 Pro goes crazy loud whenever I try to play Nier - really distracts from the game and I’m afraid to play it more than an hour or so each session as a result.

Not sure why it’s Nier that triggers the fans so much - didn’t have any issues with Persona 5 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

Get a can of compressed air and blow out the console. Seriously.

Some games don’t limit the… well, I was going to say framerate but if it’s 60 fps then it must be some internal processing thing. Nioh will get noisy on some menus too.

Playthrough 2 dragged a bit for me because hacking trivialized too much of the combat, and the new little story nuggets, while excellent, were scattered a bit sparsely through the same journey. But it really picked back up at the end, and especially in the first hour or so of #3. Really looking forward to seeing this through to the end.

Ultimately I feel it was too long, there’s some neat stuff here but they should have tightened up the game length.

Combat starts promising but doesn’t evolve unfortunately.

Also it’s too easy to stumble into endgame state ending a bunch of side quests.

I finished most of the side quests before playthrough B so it was fairly well paced.

I do find myself appreciating this game less as it fades from my memory. It just doesn’t have a hook to help it stand out, like the characters in The Witcher 3 for example. I don’t know.

I have to admit, Tom’s stream of this completely blew my mind. The game I came to expect from playing the demo, and then the open-world fishing game he was playing were just… I mean, I have a hard time reconciling that it’s the same game. The game certainly changes after the portion in the demo, I guess. And I didn’t see anything in that portion that made me want to play this.

The combat doesn’t match up to the likes of Bayonetta or Wonderful 101, but even B-tier Platinum combat is still streets ahead of most RPGs in terms of moment-to-moment enjoyment. And yeah, I missed finishing some sidequests because the ending happened so suddenly. But it’s just as well. I’m trying to consciously purge my completionist tendencies, and just enjoy what I encounter and not stress about what I overlook.

I didn’t play the demo OR watch Tom’s stream! And I didn’t bother with fishing after trying it a couple times showed it to be exactly as stultifying as every other fishing minigame! So I have no frame of reference for your post! I don’t know why this is so exciting!