NieR: Automata

Right. I just finished the game! Here are my thought on Nier: Automata. Extreme spoilers ahead!

[spoiler]First of all, I’m writing this as a Drakengard/Nier “veteran”. All the games in this loosely-defined series have always been mediocre, but had original ideas to make them stand out. I was hesitant about this one, but I was won over and decided to try it because of the cool menus, the chip system the Platinum-designed combat… and by 2B’s sexy (but creepy) figure. Turns out Nier: Automata is still mediocre. Its biggest sin is that it contains ALL the clever tricks the original Nier had up its sleeve and very few new ones, and they’re used even more poorly this time, on top of not being so clever anymore.

First, let’s give the game its dues. The grayish computer menu interface is really neat. The combat is much improved… but it’s still not that great. The music is quite good (the gibberish singing is back and still annoying in a kind of catchy way). Speaking of the music, one of the game’s tricks is that it changes the music playing after finishing a side-quest. A small detail, but it adds extra payoff to finishing a quest, enhancing the “good” or “bad” result. Someone should take a note of this. The quality of the writing is adequate, I guess although oddly enough most of the better writing is in the side-quests (Romeos and the Juliets is pretty funny). Just like the first Nier, you often see events from the perspective of someone else (including your enemies), which is always interesting.

More about the combat. It feels like Bayonetta with shooting combined to melee attacks, plus a dodge move that rewards good timing. It all still feels sloppy though, so much that I can scarcely believe the game proposes you complete it with every hit being lethal (“Very Hard”). There’s so much going on at once with a partner fighting, shockwaves, bullets and the camera sometimes deciding to use clever cinematic angles that it’s hard to dodge even with the generous timing. Anyway, “Normal” is a cakewalk and “Hard” mode often kills you in one hit anyway, so that’s crappy balancing for you. There’s about a dozen enemies repeated ad nauseam too. The combat is nowhere near as tight as he recent Furi. If you want the same style done right, try that.

Weapons are dull to boot, which is a shame since it’s one of the series’ highlights. They have no unique spell like Drakengard, so the difference between each of them is really thin. The grim weapon “super short stories” are back (yay!), but they’re disappointing (boo!). To top it all off, weapon upgrades and story segments are not handed out by using them… it’s another damn crafting system that asks you to collect 11 walrus tibias.

It’s an open world game, but the world is very small and quite ugly. It’s more of an open neighborhood, really. Fast travel works well, so that’s a plus I guess.

So how about the story? That’s often the part that stands out. It seems that now every JRPG has to be about answering the great question of life the universe and everything. This one is no different. I’m quite tired of that, honestly. JRPG directors are no more wise about the meaning of life than the average college undergraduate, perhaps even less so. In the same vein, the names of philosophers have been inserted willy-nilly into the game without any relevance. I am not impressed.

As is usual for the series, the tone is unrelentingly grim. However, the game does try to make you care for the characters, unlike, say, the original Drakengard. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I especially don’t know how I feel about building a slide for children, only to have them commit suicide 5 minutes later. I guess the shock value is worth something? On the other hand, disaster is inevitably meted out on everything and everyone and always for vague reasons, so it’s hard to really care. The game is about a proxy war fought by robots between human and aliens, but there’s absolutely no payoff concerning either the humans and the aliens. Everyone’s already long dead and that’s it. It’s fittingly bleak, but not very interesting. Honestly, the game is light on plot and would be quite short if it wasn’t for the (re-used) multiple ending scheme and the sub-quest padding.

A note about “that trick”. Nier’s ultimate trick up its sleeve, the complete save file wipe, is back, but it is used for something completely irrelevant: you sacrifice your save file to give a boost to another player, out there somewhere, fighting against the final boss… the actual credits as a bullet hell shmup level. You shoot the names of people against a black screen. It’s not even integrated in the story properly, but the game pretends it’s has great emotional resonance. Man, I thought the context in which the save wipe was brought in the first Nier was dumb, but this makes it seem so much smarter by comparison.

How odd, you can buy trophies outright with in-game money and the amount is kind of trivial compared to the hours of grinding you would need to do it “legit”. I went ahead and did it. I mean why not? Where else can I do this?[/spoiler]

The game is probably more of a revelation to the relatively JRPG-starved PC, but now that I’ve already played a bunch of Drakengards and the original Nier, the novelty feels a bit thin. Honestly, Nier: Automata is a lot worse than I thought.
2 machine lifeforms out of 5

P.S.: Jesus, what’s up with that DLC? 19 CAD$ for recycled arena fights and costumes?

We have a thread for post-game discussion, and please read my thoughts there, since I disagree with you on a LOT of points. I don’t think it will change how you felt about the game (and maybe it shouldn’t), but it might help perceive some things under a different light.

That said, I’ll agree that the DLC is underwhelming, but in my opinion, this game doesn’t need DLC.

Really appreciated. I was on board with everything you said, but as this is the only Nier game I’ve played what was rehash for you was new to me.

This was a totally average game for me, but the sort of average I haven’t experienced since I was a little kid every game was both ho-hum and a total revelation. After playing a game for 30 minutes I’d be back to playing outside, but the experience/images from the game would somehow linger.

Back then I spent way less time with games, but they had much more of an impact on me. My standout experience in Nier was

[spoiler]Returning to the desert after having completed the quests there and just wandering about (a bit bored tbh) pining for the pre-completion song that had vocals.

But as soon as the credits rolled I guffawed at the notion that I’d play through again as the other guy. How anyone gets invested in the stories/plots/dialogue of games like these is a mystery to me.

“Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse?”

Am I missing the point here? It sounds like the cringy stuff some kids work their way through in high school (which is not a dig at them), but perhaps I’m seeing it from the wrong angle? Perhaps it’s a translation issue? Regardless, for me not a single true/telling/impactful line was spoken in this game. I swear I would have enjoyed this game twice as much if I’d played the Japanese version and simply had to guess at what they were all saying. [/spoiler]

Thanks for the positive comment!

[spoiler]Yeah, regarding the “everything is designed to end” speech, 2B says she’d like to meet God at the very beginning, so I was thinking maybe later in the plot they’d decide to all go and meet God to air their grievances or something (that’s exactly what they do in Breath of Fire III; it’s actually handled pretty nicely).

If the game does make me reflect on something, it’s this: even if all three androids survive, what’s the point? They can’t reproduce and I’m not sure they can build more androids. Is it worth living if there’s no future to look forward to? I guess that’s a good question. That brings me to another plot hole: so the androids are not supposed to have emotions, but they have them nonetheless, even lust apparently. Why? I probably shouldn’t ask about their plumbing… Anyway, they were also built to love humanity so much that knowing we’re gone fills them with complete despair… so there’s no point in bringing the cast back to life, is there?[/spoiler]

I take back what I said about weapon stories, some of them are still as weird as ever.

Ancient Overlord
One day, a young girl’s village was sacked by bandits. To protect her family, she took up a dagger her father had found in the mountains ans killed one of them, an act that shoked her family. But the bandits fled, never to return."

Five years passed. Then ten. Then twenty. Though the family she protected began to grow old, the girl never aged. Eventually the other villagers began to shun her.

With no one to turn to, she finally left her village and began to wander the earth, visiting many strange lands in the process. As the years passed, her skill and fame as a master swordfighter grew to legend.

Eternal life, a powerful weapon, and boundless experience - she used these talents to become queen of a nation. And yet, there was emptiness in her life, for she still desired the kindness her family denied her after that fateful day.

Phoenix Dagger
The girl lay there on the day of her wedding. Her parents and beloved were dead, and she herself had been violated in front of their corpses. As she swore to kill those who had done this terrible deed, a shining songbird appeared."

“Allow me to grant your wish,” said the bird. “Wish upon this dagger, and never forget this hatred that you feel.” The girl grasped the weapon and spat out a tearful curse: “I vow not to forget. Please! Give them a painful death!”"

Time passed, and eventually, she got her revenge. Years later, when she was an old woman, the songbird appeared anew. “What of your vow?” it asked. But she did not understand. And come to think of it, what became of her beloved dagger?"

That night, bandits broke into her house, assaulted her daughter, and murdered her grandchild. The songbird then reappeared with a single question: “How long will your hatred burn this time?”"

Spear of the Usurper
In a distant kingdom, there lived two princes. The son of the queen consort was clever of mind but weak of flesh. The son of the king’s second wife was dimwitted, yet charming, and quite gifted in the art of war."

Which prince would succeed the throne? When news came down that the king had died in battle, the two men each declared themselves the next true king, rallying the people to take the side of one or the other."

In the midst of this coronation battle, a third man appeared claiming to be a prince. Bright, capable, and brave, he dispatched the two foolish borthers and went on to become a wise and just king beloved by all."

Decades later, the king announced on his deathbed that he wasn’t royalty at all, but in fact was the son of a commoner. Upon hearing this revelation, the people stormed the castle and hung their beloved ruler from the rafters."

Type-3 Sword
The craftsman’s weapons were neither flashy nor attractive, but they never once failed in battle. This reliability afforded him a never-ending stream of loyal clients."

Yet something nagged at the craftsman. Though he’d forged many a weapon, he’d only tested them on pigs and cows. He wondered what it might feel like to use them on another human being."

The craftsman took a sword to a battlefield and slashed at corpses, disappointed at how easily the sword slid through them. It wasn’t satisfying at all. He wanted to really feel like he was ripping through flesh."

The craftsman modified a sword in search of that feeling, not thinking at all of the pain it would cause—until one night, a bandit broke into his home and snatched the weapon up, and showed him exactly how effective it was."

From NeoGAF via reddit:

More than 8 months after release, and the PC port is still an unpatched mess. The choppiest cutscenes I can remember ever seeing, a 1080i full-screen mode that’s so blurry and shimmery that it gave me a headache, and no borderless windowed mode. It doesn’t even hide the mouse cursor, and keeps moving it to the middle of the screen.

Afraid this ended as my second ever Steam refund. Yes, there are fan-mods. But I’d rather not give money to developers/publishers who can’t bother fixing their game after all those sales and this much time.

Aside from the mouse cursor thing I haven’t had any issues with it that I can recall. I mean, it does run weirdly poorly for the fidelity of the graphics, such that I couldn’t run it smoothly at 4K until I installed my new 1080 last night. But other than that.

Personally I think it’s a game worth supporting regardless of whether its publisher does.

Yeah unfortunately the game relies on a community hack to fix it’s various display issues. Even though the the publisher promised a patch was being worked on it’s been quite some time and nothing eventuated. Poor show.

So I’ve played a lot of this game. I was initially really intrigued by it, but it increasingly tried my patience. I was getting pretty sick of it the last couple of hours, and then it threw in a really unclear section with no instruction. I’m not proud of myself, but I rage uninstalled the game.

Am I being unfair, should I give this silly game another chance? My problem with the game is that it feels like 10 hours of game stretched thinly over a 40 hour playtime. Also it’s a janky mess, especially on PC.

It’s the best game of the decade for me, but if it had that effect on you, I don’t think your experience will be similar to mine, since for me nothing of the sort was ever a problem.

So, I’d say that, for now, just keep it uninstalled and go play something else. Maybe try to go back some time in the future; perhaps it will go more favourably somehow with you then.

I’d be interested in what made it such a good experience for you. I went in pretty primed for it and initially it seemed completely in my wheel house. But I don’t feel like it’s really gone anywhere yet, and I’ve given it so much time and patience for it to get there.

I didn’t feel anything close to what you described, so perhaps it “clicked” with me better than it did with you. And I loved it for hundreds of different reasons, but many of them are spoilers, and if there’s even a one in a million chance you’ll play it again to the end one day, I’d consider not ever reading any spoilers.

If you just give up anyway, and want to know my overall view about the game, there’s a spoiler thread in the forum where I go over the major reasons. But I know different people see different things and react to the same things differently, so speaking of my experience says little about what your experience might be.

Yeah, it was my easy GotY last year, but I don’t recall ever hitting any times that I felt like you describe, so it might just not be to your taste. There was a slight loss of momentum in the first couple of hours of the second path, as it was a partial retread of previous, but I had enjoyed the first path enough that I had faith that it would all pay off.

As for specific reasons, I’d agree with @rhamorim that it’s hard to talk about without spoiling, but in general the story, worldbuilding, music, and combat were the main drivers.

I died 40 minutes into the tutorial (2nd “boss” - the two excavator arms). Had to start over from the very beginning, unskippable cutscene and all. It wasn’t a very good first impression :|

Same thing happened to me. Yes, that sucked. But I’m glad I didn’t give up at that point. ;)

I played the demo twice and got past that no problem, then when I started the full game I died at the beginning of the final boss fight and so had to play it a fourth time.

And ironically, the place I just rage quit was basically that exact same spot, but hours later in the game…

Apparently this is a spoiler so I’ll hide it, but I have no idea why this might be a spoiler.

The thing does a thing to the other thing.

I’m at the factory with A2 and Pascal, defending the “children” from the machines. Pascal is controlling Goliath fighting another Goliath in the water.

How much more of this terrible game do I have to play before I get to the good bits?

Yeah, if you’re that far in and are hating it, then write it off. I had encountered a wealth of “good bits” before then, but no game is for everybody.

You’re actually not far from the actual end of the game. There are a few tough fights ahead, but I don’t remember any of them being much worse than that part.

That said, by that point I was almost obsessed with knowing how the whole thing would end, and enjoying nearly every minute of it even with some problems and difficulty spikes. If you’re not, I don’t know how impactful or enjoyable it will be for you.