NieR: Automata

Does the game get any more colorful? Its very heavy in the brown and grey tones from the screenshots I’ve seen.

There are five main endings but you only replay the campaign once and it’s much shorter the second time through because you can skip all of the optional stuff if you’d like. That’ll get you two endings. Then you play a continuation of the story that is a few hours long.

Just before the end boss of the continuation you get a yes/no decision to make. Each decision is an ending. So you pick one and if you’d like you can reload after and pick the other, you just have to do the boss again. Those are endings 3 and 4. After you’ve seen both of those you’ll get ending 5 as a post ending ending.

Then you sign up for Final Fantasy XIV (don’t worry, it has fishing, just like Automata). Play for about 4-5 hundred hours to get to the current level cap and finish 2019’s Game of the Year, Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers. Then you can sign up for the Nier: Automata epic raid series and continue the story again.

There are some colors.

Yeah the amusement park is one of the few locations that are nice to look at. The strength of this game is in its story and certain…inventiveness. The location and environmental visual design is poor. Music is amazing though.

What the what?

The three 24-man raids for this expansion are guest designed by Yoko Taro and are Nier themed. Part 2 should be out in May or so, plenty of time to get caught up :)

So an interesting story obscured by questionable game design and horrific balance? :)

It does, yes, but browns and greys are the majority of it. But that only makes the places where other colors show more memorable. If you play the game, you’ll see.

Just started playing this on Xbox One X - what’s with the frame rate drops during cut-scenes and in some gameplay areas? I like the art design but it doesn’t look to me like the game is some technological graphics marvel for there to be frame rate drops.

And who the hell in the development team thought it was a good idea not allow the player to save until after the first boss? That was about 40 minutes I had to do over due to getting my ass whooped.

I never had issues with frame rate drops or anything, but I played on PC (though some people had the same issues on PC).

As for the first boss, I had the same issue myself. It’s annoying, yes, but I can’t think of any other point in the game where that might happen.

Yeah, saving after that is not an issue. Seems like a weird design choice.

I’m really liking the game so far. Combat is fluid and switching between the robot turret and melee is a lot of fun.

So I am about 4 hours into this and I am not having a great time so far… I mean, the combat is ok, the boss fights can be pretty interesting, the art is pretty good, the upgrade systems not bad. But the good/tedious gameplay ratio is quite low for me. Spending alot of time traveling between points, trying to find out how to get places using the map, and replaying content because the save system is console-ish are all very frustrating.

I don’t hate it, but I am quite disappointed considering the praise the game got. Does it get better or is it the kind of thing where if I am not clicking with it by now I am better off dropping it? I have avoided reading many reviews/discussion of the game because that’s what I was advised to do.

Cheers…

Some “tedium” is an important part of the overall “feel” of the game, I’d say, but it does get better. If you can play until ending A and a couple hours into what follows (avoiding most side quests at least until you unlock fast travel), you might get to see that. But if by then you don’t feel committed, I doubt that would change later.

It’s fascinating how differently a game can be perceived by different people. I am 8 hours in according to Steam and the game is just nothing but a series of wonderful events for me.

It probably helped that I haven’t died during that initial 40 minutes with no saving stretch, I can see how replaying that section can spoil things for people.

I don’t grind and don’t really spend much time exploring/gathering resources. Maybe because of that, I find the pacing is very good. The city does seem quite large and confusing at first, probably because of the visual style, most likely on purpose. But after a little bit, I’ve realized It’s actually quite small and one can get anywhere within a minute once you learn the geography, realize there is a way to sprint and start avoiding unnecessary enemies.

Combat is fun, music is amazing, character progression is interesting, story is intriguing, I am loving every minute of it.

I was wondering though. I am playing on Steam and I don’t experience any stuttering, hitches, bad graphics, etc. Have all these problems been fixed in the YorHA edition or am I so forgiving that I don’t really notice some major problems? According to that RPS article, very little had changed in the YorHA edition and the game still needs a patch very much. How come I don’t see it though, is it because my PC is brand new and pretty beefy?

And if I do need to apply some community patches, where would I go and get them?

[edit] I feel stupid that everyone is complaining how the game needs patching and I am not seeing why. Usually I am the first one to complain about issues. :)

[edit] Oh I didn’t realize the YorHA edition was released over a year ago and the RPS article is from back then. Lol, I thought it was last month. :) So have they patched the game since?

I played through the PC version on original release and don’t remember experiencing any technical issues even back then, so I dunno shrugs

No, they haven’t patched it. And yes, there are technical issues, I guarantee, even if you didn’t notice them. I discovered after installing the fix mod (FAR) that although I hadn’t noticed low framerate, the hacking mini game is heavily framerate influenced and was suddenly much easier because I was getting better FPS.

I was feeling the same after a couple of hours. The combat is nothing special and can get a little tedious due to the low damage you do compared to seemingly high HP of enemies, but after upgrading skill plug-ins and being able to dish out more damage, it’s become more enjoyable.

What is keeping me playing, however, is the story that is unfolding. The game is doing a great job thus far of feeding you the story a little at a time and not sure where it’s headed a few hours in, but I am certainly intrigued.

I think I would have liked this more if it were turn-based.

I’ll stick with it and report back later, thanks for the replies guys!

It’s on Gamepass, not my style of game, but I’ll give this a try, I thought. Hahaha, died to an instakill hit on the first proper boss. Start over from the very beginning. I’m out.

Don’t give up so soon. I had the same idea until I found out that after this intro you can pretty much save anywhere and not have to repeat areas.

Also, second time around I beat boss easily. Didn’t do anything different other than being more comfortable with the controls.

Game is overrated to me but still a good game.

Yeah sorry, I have no tolerance for games that don’t respect your time. That’s an hour of my life. I wasted with no way to avoid it. And, like I say, it’s a genre I don’t generally like anyway. Everything I’ve read about this game makes me think I’d hate it, other than the fact that lots of people like it.

I just finished this game for one of the 3rd endings. I have some thoughts. Spoilers ahead, but this is like a 5 year old game so can I spoil it without blurs?

1. Wtf even is this story? It’s ridiculous and makes no sense. First of all, I figured out the humans on the moon were dead as soon as they said “humans fled to the moon.” Bullshit, no one’s there. Second, the big reveals are dumb. Androids were created after the machines when the humans were already extinct. Ok, by who? There were no humans. Humans were a god for them to fight for. Ok… again who made them then? The machines?
  2. Why did the machines make Adam and Eve? What was even the point of them? Just to make sexy anime boys I think for hentai adaptations.
  3. 9s is probably the most annoying character in the history of gaming. I was so happy to pick A2 and kill his ass.
  4. A2 is the best protagonist. But she is woefully underdeveloped. Command betrayed you! She was the first model! Ok… so what? Never expanded upon. Then she sacrificed herself to save 9s. Why? Who gives a fuck about that idiot?
  5. I couldn’t kill Pascal I walked away. Then he disappeared and it never came up again so… ok.
  6. How do amusement park rollercoasters still work after 8000 years?
  7. 2B had to kill 9s over and over, this is the BIG REVEAL. Why? Why did she do this? He was too advanced… so why keep making him? This is incredibly dumb. Let’s make really smart androids, but then we have to make special assassin androids to kill them because they might discover this whole thing is fake.
  8. 9s wants to get revenge for 2B. All A2 has to say is “I didn’t kill her she had a virus, you stupid whiny ass shithead.” Instead, she pulls an anime protagonist and just says “…” If she really cared about 9s, which she did because she tried to save him, why not tell him to calm the fuck down?
  9. The machines made androids, then Yorha, then corrupted it to destroy it to force their own evolution. Is that the story? Am I getting this right?

Fun game, absurd nonsensical story. Also I unlocked a costume that put 2B in a negligee because why not. Battle droids are sexy maids, for Important Reasons (their machine creators were horny dudes).

How the hell is this game a like 95% on metacritic? I don’t get it.