Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I don’t know the answer, but seems like a peculiar request for this game. Nothing about it looks remotely realistic. The bodies basically collapse into a pile of red dots and disappear. I don’t mean to sound judgmental, but if that’s a problem, maybe slaughtering enemies by the thousand is as well?

Well, jumping on mushrooms in Mario is enemy murder, too. The point is: I want to play but my kids are too young to be playing games with lots of blood… I wish the Switch would allow me to password lock certain games, but given the relative poor parental controls, I have to ask questions like this before I buy games.

No, I get it. I’m a parent too (though my kids are in college now). Like I said, I don’t mean to sound judgmental. I was rather strict in what I let my kids play.

I thought they had improved the parental controls recently? I could be totally off on that, since it’s something I don’t have to pay attention to these days.

I think you could password lock based on rating, no? The app description says you can.

Thanks. Decided to return it and get a pro controller instead.

Yeah set the kid to ‘child’ or ‘young child’ and they won’t be able to play any ‘teen’ games like Dead Cells.

And then you enter your pin to access a game like that?

I thought the Switch was generally lauded as having some of the best parental controls out there? :P

Yeah there’s a pin override.

On device? or through the app? I guess that’s changed since I last looked at the parental controls.

Unsure! Probably on the app.

They did update the app this year though, as they added the ability to ‘whitelist’ individual games.

I think it depends what you value. There are no per-game exceptions to the ESRB ratings lock on Switch. There’s no purchase limits or gifting either. All those features are available for Xbox One.

This was added three months ago. It also says there are “purchase restrictions” but that may be based on rating rather than amount (which was implied by “limits”)…actually, that last bit is in the Nintendo account settings, not the parental controls.

Ah, yes. I see them in the app. You cannot do this from the console however.

Does seem weird that they chose to do it that way.

Simon Belmont coming to Smash. The hype is real.

I think you’re burying the lead: Alolan Exeggutor is coming as a Pokemon item in the game! (Look it up.)

Also, Dark Samus!

I didn’t realise Baby Driver was a Nintendo property.

I wish I could get excited about Smash Bros. I feel like I have a defective gamer gene.

Whaaaattttt?!

Metroid Prime is my second favorite game of all time, hell yes.

Right there with you. Of course I’ll probably be dumb, pick this one up and try to force myself to like it again.

I’m sorry that you can’t get into the game or the series. Because personally, I’m just excited that you can now choose which songs get played with what frequency for each of the over 100 stages in the game! The game includes over 900 songs! You can use it as a portable music player if you want!

Okay I’ll stop now.