Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Yeah, I’ve played plenty of them but they’ve never excited me in the same way as they do everyone else.

Why don’t we have likes on this forum again? Even five a year would be enough.

Yeah that made me laugh too!

This is a great insight into the game and Sakurai’s place in making it. Well worth a read.

Sakurai buys games digitally. Because he’s a gd genius. Take some notes, Dave.

Only because he’s out of space! I’m not out of space yet. :)

Hope it’s okay to put this here. I don’t know if it needs its own thread.

I don’t know thst it would need its own thread since it would fit nicely into any of the tons of piracy threads we have in the archive.

We’ll be able to backup saves in September!*

*Provided we pay. :(

Don’t you have to pay for cloud saves with the other consoles too?

I think so, but what’s galling here is that there is no alternative on the Switch—there’s no way to back up saves at all right now.

On the other consoles you can still backup saves to USB sticks or whatever for free. It’s frustrating that Nintendo still doesn’t have that option, and that their answer is cloud saves that are only available if you pay.

Yeah that sucks I guess. I suppose they won’t be adding alternative save backups now! Though at least the online charge is quite low. Even so, I’m not yet tempted to pay it…

I did see the hacked/homebrew Switches have a save game manager built in so it’s certainly not unfeasible. More likely concerns around hacking/cheating and save game editing.

Also note that cloud saving is only available for compatible games, so hope your favorite non Nintendo games get a patch, I guess.

Anyone having this issue? Every time I turn my Switch on, my TV wants to set it up as a new device, but it won’t detect what it is and doesn’t give an option for game console in the manual setup. Samsung smart TV with the Switch dock going straight to the TV (no receiver). I can just exit out of the set up, but I would like to fix this, I just can’t seem to figure out how.

I can’t find anyone else having this issue doing a search, so I assume I am missing something obvious.

So I’ve finally purchased my first console since I got my Wii ages ago. Picked up Zelda and I’m downloading a whole mess of demos while I wait for it to charge.

Hoo boy, you’re in for a treat!

Start playing docked while charging! :)

I have a business trip coming up with some plane and hotel downtime. I have been waiting to give a either Dead Cells or Hollow Knight a run. I have not played either at all. I like roguelites a fair amount so DC appeals, but I’m less into pixel art. Hollow Knight looks beautiful, but I worry that I won’t have large enough chunks of time or the focus to be able to process a linear game on the trip.

Anyone willing to help tip the balance?

Also, I picked up Kingdom New Lands for the Switch. I was thinking of making that my travel game. It is neat, but a bit too hidden in its information and I find the extreme slowdown (like day 30 or so with fog) really annoying. It’s worse than Dark Souls Blight Town. I hope they can patch it as it seems a bit random on an otherwise pretty solid game.

I wouldn’t really call Hollow Knight linear - it’s by far the most open ended Metroid style game I’ve ever played. And since the world is huge and there’s so much variety in how you can explore it, it probably wouldn’t fit what you’re looking for. It’s a great game, but it would be frustrating to only play in short spurts. You need to be able to remember parts of the world, and it also requires a lot of skill and focus / repetition to get through the tough combat and bosses.

Dead Cells seems like a much better option for your circumstances. No memorization really needed, shorter runs, super satisfying combat and progression, and it’s easy to pick up and put down. The game even saves in the middle of runs automatically if you do happen to get far.

There’s a Hollow Knight thread where I posted a longish impression. In short, it’s magnificent (a classic) but pretty demanding and a tad too long (30ish hours to do most of the stuff).

One thing I find amazing is that Nintendo makes better versions of characters than the company that owns them. The Simon Belmont and Castlevania levels in Smash are exactly what I want from a 3D Castlevania. Konami has never been able to get it right. The Smash Megaman model looks better than the one Capcom is using for Megaman 11.

It’s another example of what happens when you let people who appreciate and understand the characters work with them. Surprise surprise, you get quality results.