Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Well both Flower and Journey were free on PS4 for people who bought them on PS3 years ago.

Cross-buy titles across the Vita, PS3, and PS4 can take a lot of the sting out of those oddly expensive PS2 remakes.

Or being able to buy a PS1 classic once and play it on PSP, Vita and PS3. I’m not crazy about the lack of PS1 compatibility on the PS4, but at least with the PS2 classics they are doing a non-trivial amount of new design work adding trophies. They also look gorgeous thanks to the uprendering. And I just wait for them to go on sale for $4-6 dollars like a bunch were last week. PS Now doesn’t even come into it since it’s a library streaming service that involves you literally renting time on their hardware.

It’s plainly false equivalence to me to compare anything Sony is doing with Nintendo charging you $1 per title for the privilege of playing a VC game you bought already on your WiiU without having to boot into Wii mode. That, frankly, is asinine.

Yeah, all my PSP games and PS1 classics work on my Vita too. In fact a lot of the stuff I bought on the PSN store has come with me to the new consoles now that I think about it. So yeah, screw Nintendo.

Okay, we’ve tricked all the console fanboys into this thread. Everyone run out and we can lock the door!

Oh no, we forgot Andy Bates.

I thought the phrasing made it clear I was just teasing. I’m not defending anyone’s honor here.

I am going on vacation tomorrow. My radar for sarcasm and teasing is typically terrible, it’s even worse when I am combating vacationitis with trying to make sure everything that needs to be done before I go is done…

sorry!

It’s cool. As long as we all agree that Nintendo is the greatest company in the world and did everything first.

Switch has a remake of Wonder Boy from the Master System? Oh man, I wish I had time for one of these.

Jeez, I don’t know much (or anything) about Wonder Boy but the new version has an art style I think is freaking awesome.

I’ve been eyeing Wonderboy on the eShop. I still have a lot of Has Been Heroes and Zelda to go. And there is Dawn of War 3 open beta maybe leading to a purchase. Ugh. I do think Indy releases will be the secret weapon of the Switch. I love having Steam level small titles on the big screen or in my pocket (well…travel case).

It’s on PS4 and Xbox One too. PC version in June. It has the original graphics at the touch of a button, too. I might get it on Switch for portability after I finish Zelda though.

So are these things still basically impossible to find? Is that GameStop bundle the next great hope?

Cheapassgamer.com has been keeping track of when the online retailers get the in stock, or when GameStop will have some in their stores.

Mario Kart reviews are out. I guess they come as no surprise given how the Wii-U version rated:

I’m sorely tempted to preorder the GameStop bundle even though I already own Zelda on the WiiU. I think my kids would enjoy it and the thought of being able to play on the tablet while the wife or kids are using the TV is really enticing. However I do own a WiiU and I’m playing Zelda on that right now and my kids are really into Mario and Yoshi on the WiiU and I own a Pro controller which of course would not work with the Switch. So lots of reasons to pass and yet I’m still staring that bundle down every day. I think the lack of availability makes it worse, if I could just walk into any store and pick one up it would probably seem less attractive.

Switch will soon have ARMS as an exclusive. Super Mario Odyssey ships in the fall. Yeah, for the moment you’d have a little duplication with Zelda, but you could always resell it (or keep it sealed and do a no receipt return somewhere for store credit toward say… Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) or just play it portable!

The Wii U is awesome and ours will always be here and we’ll all play it for years to come, but Switch is Nintendo’s future now. If you can afford it, it will be where you play most big Nintendo games coming up.

Yeah those are all good points. I was also looking through the upcoming indie titles and there are some interesting ones on the horizon. Wonder Boy just came out which looks really cool. Disgea 5 is coming out next month. I mean the smart move would be to just wait until the holiday season when all these games will still be out and we will probably see some true deals on bundles.

If the momentum continues though, it might be harder to find them at Christmas. I think the more personal nature of this system is helping sales and will continue to do so. For some people, the Switch is just a personal portable that happens to connect to the TV. They will buy more than one…

That was my thought since I already have Zelda for Wii U and there just isn’t much out there. But then I ended up in the video game section of my local supercenter and one of the employees helpfully let me know they had a few Switches, and then I was $300 lighter. Snipperclips is fun to play with my girlfriend, but that’s about all I use it for at this point. Every week I check the eShop hoping for something that excites me. But on the bright side, I don’t have to worry about finding a Switch now when a game I really want comes out.