Nintendo Switch

They were early on. I know because I got the message that “this software is already in use on another console” while trading Pokemon with my son using the same digital copy.

Cool, more Monster Hunter. Now I need to decide whether to play this new game or the Ice expansion for Monster Hunter World (xbox) after I finished God Eater 3.

Aren’t those graphics/effects above the Switch’s pay grade?

I thought so too but the poly count and texture scale didn’t seem impossible so I’m going to guess they just conveniently disabled the dynamic resolution they’ll use to get it to actually run in the real world.

The next Supergiant game is out on the Switch now

I don’t think so, no. Looks like they prioritized animations, which is the right call. Environments are a little low poly and the textures aren’t amazing but it looks good enough for me. Glad to see the open areas in the switch version, all of the traversal stuff seems cool and I’m assuming this will copy a lot of World’s ui improvements.

This looks great - anyone going to try this soon?

I just bought it through the eShop. It’s downloading now to my Switch, and when I’m done work I’ll let you know what I think!

I was about to say “I just bought it!”, but then again I also bought Bastion and Transistor which are sitting unplayed on my Switch, so…

Man, the Switch library is the new Steam library.

And don’t forget, Super Mario 3D All-Stars is available tomorrow. Better buy it before March 31, 2021, when it will no longer be available! The clock is ticking folks!

I picked up Hades on the switch last night… That game is freaking awesome. Easily worth $20.

After one night of playing, Hades is on the fast track for Game of the Year for me. The gameplay hook is strong with solid fast paced action and lots of progression and unlockables which expand on the systems as you play it. I’m pretty sure I have not played a roguelike that puts as much effort into developing the characters and building the world as this does.

The really interesting/smart thing about Hades design, is that the story progresses as you die.

So, every time you die, you go back home. And there, you are able to do things like talk to characters, unlock new stuff, etc.

It creates a strongly addictive gameplay, that had me hooked in until 1am last night. You’d play through, and be like, “Ok, I’ll just play this one life, then go to bed.”

But when you eventually die, you know that there are a bunch of folks right there you can talk to, and learn all kinds of new stuff… oh, and I can unlock that new weapon! And then once you do that, you’re like, “Well, I’m right here. I midaswell jump out the window and play another round.”

So then you do that… and by the time you die again, it just starts over. Eventually I had to just say, “NO MORE!” and go to bed.

It’s different than most rogue-likes, in that normally the story progresses as you get to a certain point, after NOT dying. But here, dying just makes you want to play more.

I also picked up Hades. It’s a gorgeous game on the switch, and it runs fantastic.

Guys, I appreciate the good word about Hades, but I do not need this right now. Spiritfarer is out. Afterparty is still there. Kentucky Route Zero is still unfinished. The Binding of Isaac is still there, taunting me. I started playing Has-Been Heroes again for some unknown reason. I really do not need another really good game on the Switch. Even if it is…wait, did you say “Game of the Year”???

I bought Spiritfarer and Paradise Killer on release and haven’t played either, and I keep having to stop myself from clicking the buy button on Hades despite already owning it on PC, so yeah, I feel you on that one.

I’m playing Hades on the PC, but it is a refreshing change to the Rogue-like formula - which I am ambivalent to at best in most games.

How does Hades compare to Hyper Light Drifter or Wizard of Legend, which seem kind of similar? I mean from an action perspective, I realize there are big differences in storytelling and progression.

I’m excited about this, but haven’t been able to fit it in yet.

I might have to play Ori and the Will o the Wisps too, Metroidvanias are my comfort food games.