Nintendo Switch

Oh here’s where we’re talking about Crimzon Clover. Sometimes I forget to click on this thread.

I might have been interested in that Mario Kart thing if my kids didn’t already have a million RC cars, some of which are already Mario Kart themed.

Also I should probably download a bunch of demos for my kid that plays the Switch. And then that will probably lead into storage space issues. So now I’m fully caught up to the topics in this thread.

I noticed it too and found it quite annoying. I still need to go back to the demo and try again. I was having an issue with one of my eyes the night I tried it and was stuck wearing my old glasses. I recall that the original Hyrule Warriors took some time for me to adjust as well to what I assume is all kinds of graphical trickery.

Yeah and mine is real low… cf. Hades where most are telling me it’s fine, and I can’t play because of the slowdown. :)

But that’s more because it runs so well in general, that the slowdown is particularly jarring.

This is just always pretty poor, running a dynamic and fairly low res that spends a lot of time at 25fps.

For an action-style game it is far from ideal… but I guess understandable given the enemy count and the hardware.

The game itself seemed pretty cool though, it’s a bit of a shame.

How the hell do you get multiplayer to work in the Age of Calamity demo? The Internet says to press the left thumbstick on the map. I guess I need to make it past a certain point in the game, maybe complete the first level?

[EDIT] Another part of the Internet clarified that it’s on the mission select screen map, not the in-game map.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses for $34.99 at Amazon.

I think this is the lowest price I’ve seen this at. I kept waiting for a deal finally broke last month and paid $39 last month when I got a $10 credit and kicking myself for not waiting a little more.

omg, the Amazon questions for Three Houses:

So it is finally happening, Switch incoming for Christmas.

It’s a joint gift with my son, so I’ve picked out some games. Are there any essentials I’m missing?

Breath of the Wild - I love Zelda, it’s one of my 5 favorite series all time.
Smash Bros Ultimate - See above
Mario Kart 8 - comes with system
Labo - Stem toys for son, seems natural fit since we did a bunch of Kiwi Crates this year
Mario and Rabbids - Love Xcom, will be $15 on black friday at Best Buy
Mario Odyssey
Scribblenauts - Seems like a good game for my 1st grader to practice spelling, puzzle solving, and words.
Pokemon Shield - See above about 1st grader.

Other games in consideration
Animal Crossing
Yoshis Crafted World
Mario Party
Paper Mario
Fire Emblem 3 houses - never played any Fire Emblem games, but many of you probably know Strategy games are my jam. You know the top 5 series I mentioned? The list is, in order, Europa Universalis, Metroid, Total War, Zelda, Smash. So a tactical game seems right up my alley.

Am I missing any ‘must play’ games?

My son (also in first grade) can’t get enough of Kirby Star Allies, a ridiculously easy (but very pretty) beat-em-up. There is a demo for both it and Crafted World so you can try before you buy.

When Lego City Undercover goes on one of its inevitable 75% off sales I think that’s a must buy, despite ridiculous loading times.

Lastly, the boy and I liked Snipperclips and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime for co-op.

Unless that’s the Gold Edition, wait for an eShop sale instead - it goes on sale for $20 with all the DLC included all the time.

Fire Emblem consumed me for about a month, so I’d highly recommend it. I had played a couple Fire Emblem games before but never really got into them.

Didn’t even know that was a thing. Hmm

I’m pretty sure I picked Rabbids up in an eShop sale for $5

I’d recommend Fire Emblem over Mario + Rabbids for a tactics game on the Switch. It has a greater variety of strategic options as well, whereas Mario + Rabbids is more limited as far as choosing how to level up and specialize your characters. Although Rabbids is great too, especially with how movement is handled.

One game not mentioned that I view as a definite top 5, and maybe even top 3, game on the system (assuming you were not one of the five people who owned a WiiU) is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Obviously, this very much depends on your taste, but if you enjoy platformers, I think it’s a better game than Odyssey. That said, your kids would probably enjoy Odyssey more as DK is rather unforgiving at times.

I like Golf Story a lot too, if you’re looking for a chill golf RPG game.

Reason for Rabbids over Fire Emblem had to do with

A) price
B) more appropriate for a 6/7 year old

In that case, Rabbids is definitely the better choice.

I concur with enjoying Fire Emblem more overall, but on the other hand, Rabbids is much more approachable as a way to introduce his kid to the genre, and it even has a co-op mode. They’re both very good though.

Edit: ninjaed

To be clear, if this was only for me, Fire Emblem would be higher. But given how much time I (don’t) get to play games, it can wait. With BotW, Smash, Mario Kart, and Odyssey, that’s easily a years worth of gaming for me.

I would add Hades (for you, mostly at night, although it seems fine to watch for my 7 year old though he doesn’t want to play) if you haven’t already played it on the PC. And I’ve read very good things about Luigi’s Mansion 3 — I think it’s going on rare sale for Black Friday?

Arms is a lot of fun with kids. Dock the Switch, parent and child each get a pair of joycons, then go wild doing virtual punching in front of the TV. You get a bit of physical activity and have a fun time playing against a zany cast of cartoon characters. My household got several times worth the purchase price out of that game and still break it out once in a while.

While it is still combat, it is not too violent and is very kid friendly.

I really love Captain Todd’s whatever is the rest of the name.

It is an adorable action puzzle game, with multiple layers of goals, none too hard.
It is also one of the few games clearly optimized with the portability of the console in mind. And it isn’t too expensive, for a first party nintendo game.