Nintendo Switch

Absolutely they’re fearful of all foreigners equally. In fact, they don’t even see race. You’re either Japanese or you’re a foreigner.

I don’t remember the details, tbh. Losing gold sounds right? But gold also needs to be recouped so there is a penalty I wanted to avoid.

The setting “Super Strong Monsters” is actually the canonical DQ difficulty, with the default setting being a nerfed easy mode.

That is still the case, and money is actually somewhat less valuable in this one, so even if you lose significant money it doesn’t really matter that much.

For me, the ability to skip every non-boss encounter is one of the things I like best about DQXI. I’d recommend not grinding at all and facing boss fights somewhat under-leveled. This felt pretty good when I was playing it and made me really consider which actions I’m taking in battle. Basically, fight each new monster you see once and then move on. That seems less frustrating than playing around with the difficulty features, especially as I think those cannot be toggled off once selected(turns out you can toggle them on/off).

Really though, I think DQXI is more of a game to chill with than one you should be trying to finagle ways to make more challenging. Especially since the solution to the latter in JRPGs invariably seems to involve incessant grinding for levels. At its best, it is like playing through a fairy tale in a bright, charming world. And it’s episodic in nature, so you can usually play for an hour or two, find a sensible stopping point, and then carry on to the next ‘episode’ next time you play.

Rant. We got a second switch. I started playing Mario+Rabbids on the new (secondary) switch, because it is more often available, and I didn’t mind starting over because it had been so long since I played (and hadn’t gotten all that far, really).

Rewind time: when we first got our first switch, we didn’t have a family online account, I just had one online account for myself. When my daughter started playing Splatoon 2, she used my account, because it had online, and I didn’t care because I don’t play Splatoon 2. So, now she pretty much has to use my account, because that’s where her Splatoon 2 progress is.

So, this morning I’m playing some Mario+Rabbids, and suddenly it tells me I can’t play anymore. I’m like, what? I know she’s using the primary switch, but she’s playing Splatoon, that shouldn’t prevent me from playing Mario+Rabbids?

Well, guess what. If you’re playing any game on the primary switch, you can’t play any downloaded game on the secondary switch using the same account. Even if it’s not an online game. And you can’t transfer your save file to another account.

Thanks Nintendo!

What happens if you turn off the wireless on both?

Then my daughter won’t be able to play Splatoon. I dunno what happens if I just turn it off on the secondary, but I’m guessing it just won’t let me play any d/l games at all.

You may be able to get around that by starting the game on the secondary switch first. I’ve done that in the past so I could trade Pokémon with myself. Because I’m really cool like that.

Actually, I had already been playing for a while when my daughter started playing and I got kicked off.

All this would have been avoided if I’d just created a dummy profile on the 2nd switch to play on. But I didn’t know. And I’m not starting over again.

Yeah it’s really stupid, and it logically fits the ancestral Nintendo customer approach, that is that we are all presumed to be criminals for purchasing their products.

Make your daughter restart Splatoon 2 with her own account.

Haha, she’s like level 40 or something. It’s months of effort in that save.

Well, what do we have but inside time??

Just so you know, Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network, and Steam have similar limitations on having the same account online and playing games on multiple devices, including for games without a network component. (No one is getting caught with their pants down anymore the way Sony did during the PS3 era, when game sharing was rampant due to them allowing digital games to be installed and played on up to five consoles with no restrictions.) Also, a paid Switch Online membership works for every account on a single Switch (which is why setting up a Japanese account to access the Famicom and Super Famicom apps works), and the family plan is offered if you want one membership to cover multiple Switches.

This didn’t work for us and Animal Crossing. My girlfriend couldn’t go online with her guest profile despite me having a subscription. It was either two subs (the free month trial worked), or a family sub.

I’m going to chime in with a positive vote for DQ11. It fixes just about every one of the things that are always wrong with JRPGs. I had a great time with it.

PSA - Everyone gets their own account. Email, Facebook, game systems.

Everyone. Gets. Their. Own. Account.

Ok so question.

I am getting a Switch. Only one. Is there any reason not to just have a single account on there?

Save files in games for different users. Some games will have multiple files available to save into when you sign in as a single account (e.g., Hades). With others, you’ll need secondary accounts for each new user to get their own slot/game (e.g., Animal Crossing).

Also, friends lists and game playtime tracking are saved on a user account level.

Ah that’s good reason.

I’m assuming there is a way to share digital purchases between accounts?