Nintendo Switch

We could. Sure.

The “average” player of Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins Resurrection likely knows exactly what they’re getting into and can finish the game or is ready for the challenge in doing so.

…and now I see he was playing on Hard. What do you expect?

I haven’t played it, so don’t have any opinions on the specific balance of the remake, but GnG is like, synonymous with stupidly hard arcade games. It’s the Dark Souls of the 80s. There’s almost nobody buying that game deliberately that doesn’t have those expectations going in.

Ghosts n’ Goblins: This is the version I played on my Amstrad. I played a lot of forgettable games on the Amstrad, but I remember this one really well. It had great music. But yeah, I never finished it. Does this look closer to the difficulty of the Arcade version or the SNES version?

Neither? That plays kind of differently than any of them tbh.

So I’ve been watching 1-1 arcade version and lol. Not even close. Switch version is 10x more insane than that. I can deal with the arcade version. Honestly on Hard my life is basically measured in seconds on the Switch.

Just want to add that while having reflexes was useful. The GnG franchise was always about memorization. That’s where the difficulty comes from.

Why not just choose a difficulty level that you can enjoy?

I’m just relating the shock of how difficult it is. It’s basically the most difficult game i’ve encountered in living memory. Way more difficult than any game i’ve played as a kid, in arcade, or on a home console.

Well, maybe that Sega hologram game was hard… but that’s because i never could figure out what I was supposed to do, and it cost $1.50 per life.

I now want to try it. Never going to stick with it, but I’ve enjoyed the recent re-release of the Prinny games for the Switch

The irony is that it really shouldn’t be that difficult at first glance. They’ve tuned the levels so that everything is just on the edge so it’s incredibly difficult to, say, crouch and fire, or stand on a gravestone and fire, because everything is just so and you’ll miss or hit something else or, ect. This was just never part of the original design as i remember it, at least not to this level. That’s why it really does feel like they decided to lean into this “GnG is an impossible game” thing very early in this remastered version’s design.

But there is a bunch of BS spawn random enemy literally on you stuff going on, and the fact that the controls just aren’t responsive enough for such a twitch game. I mean Dark Souls is like a ballet compared to this. Ubermosh is like fair and just.

There might be wisdom to it:

Seems it’s making people talk about it much more than it would be usual with a game like this.

Yea it’s clearly aimed at streamers but… I’d rather watch a game like this than own it ^^.

I found GnG hard as a kid on my C64. I never understood the concept of difficulty at that age. It had great music and looks (*). Years later, I tortured my son with it on the Wii NES/SNES version. I think he made it through, that’s what kids are for, no? They finish the games you never could. Well done son, now back to your cage.

(*) I took an oath that day, that one day I will produce a kid, that will finish the game for me.

Dang. Now I want a kid.

I don’t know if you guys watch Dunkey, but he has some thoughts on the Bowser’s Fury section of Super Mario 3D World:

Spoiler Alert: He says it’s basically the future of 3D Mario games. And after playing it, I understand exactly what he’s talking about.

Okay so… back when Mario 64 was released, my brother and I could only have one console: an N64 or a PlayStation. We saw Lylat Wars and Diddy Kong Racing and those excited us, but Mario 64? ‘Oh my god oh my god: a 3D open Mario world that we could explore?’ We imagined Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 but instead of an overworld map, we got one continuous space to explore and find secrets in–in 3D! It so very nearly tipped us but in the end we went with a PlayStation (FFVII, Abe’s Oddysee, Wipeout, Resident Evil etc.)

The next Mario game I played was Sunshine on the GC and I really enjoyed it but it was only around then that I realised that Mario 64 never was open world. You jumped into paintings? Eh what? Really? Now I’m not saying Mario 64 would have disappointed me as a kid, I highly doubt that, but that open world seed definitely planted a deep root that never really grew into anything. Until now, maybe.

I’m a huge Metroid fan and the continuous worlds of Super Metroid and Prime made me think Nintendo would have done this kind of thing a long time ago with Mario (especially with Breath of the Wild now). I mean, ‘Mushroom Kingdom’ sounds so grand but there’s no real geography, space or continuity to the place, but I’d love to see Nintendo try. Bowser’s Fury seems a step in that direction.

I don’t really have the same enthusiasm for Mario as I once did but I may very well check out the 3D World/Land games at some point.

Patterns and Timing, just like every other arcade game from that era. You just got stuck on the delivery method. Look pretty hologram.

Well sure, but the point is you only had about two or three times in your real life lifetime to try it.

It’s like someone handed you a Sudoku as a kid, with no instructions, then told you you had 3 minutes to figure it out, then demanded $1.50 to continue playing, then swiped it away from you if you refused to pay, never to be seen again.

Sure, it’s probably pretty easy once you understand what was going on. But i wasn’t going to get the opportunity to discover what was going on at $1.50 a life! That hologram game was also kind of the End of the Arcade era, tbh; after that arcades started to rapidly decline. There was a bit of time when arcades still offered significantly superior experiences to Master System / NES, but once the Genesis / SNES came out the home versions were “good enough” to make arcades increasingly redundant, as well as obsolete all the good old arcade staples completely, like Centipede, ect.

Dude it had a 4 direction joystick and 2 buttons. It took me about 30 seconds of watching someone play it to go “Oh it’s just Dragon’s lair”. Again, you got mesmerized by the shiny :P

Edit to add: I think your at least 5 to 10 years early on the death of Arcades. We were only getting started on Fighting games at this time. Street fighter 2 was just coming out and beat um ups were becoming all the rage. Then the infrared shooting games fueled a renaissance in mid 90’s.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about that game until just now! I saw it at same arcade that used to have all the one-off games that I saw once and then never saw again. What a weird game.

Just finished my 1st playthrough of Xenoblade Chronicles DE. 141 hours. What a great and fun game!! I had an absolute blast. I’m so glad I got to experience it! Level 99, most superbosses completed (in casual mode lol). I maxed out most arts. I maxed out affinity with several characters. I got all extra skill trees except for Dunban. I didn’t know that I was questing for it, I killed the 1st monster but didn’t know the 2nd one was in the stupid pod. I left the area and read the wiki for his location. He was gone, doesn’t respawn…so annoyed at that. But man, what a great game. I’m starting ng+ but I’m thinking about holding off on another run and starting the 2nd game. Thanks everyone for putting this on the radar!