Nintendo Switch

Someone at Artdink must have heard Armando about the lack of a good English SEO-compatible official trailer for A-Train All Aboard! Tourism. The voice over work is entirely in Japanese but at least they added very good closed captions to the video so English speakers can follow along. So, if anyone wanted to get a decent grasp on what the game is about in just five minutes they gotcha covered now.

Any reviews?

The graphics look 20 or 25 years old (not that they are the MOST important thing). On the one hand you’d hope that’d make it run well enough on Switch. OTOH who knows how well it is optimized & how good/bad the joycon controls are.

Diego

Just a note that when I’ve tested online multiplayer games those will complain if I’m playing my copy on my secondary Switch at the same time my son is playing the same game on our primary Switch. I’ve had people argue this isn’t the case though.

Yeah, if you want to play on the primary and secondary at the same time, you have to have the primary system offline. When the secondary system phones home, it checks that the same Nintendo account isn’t already online playing on another system.

Technically it came out in 2017; the Wii U version came out in 2014, but the Switch version is running at 1080p and contains all the DLC from the original game.

It doesn’t. :P

You can try the demo. I can handle whatever graphics, but shoddy performance bothers me so I struggled.

Plenty of positive Japanese language reviews popping up so far, as to be expected. Metacritic & OpenCritic only has a single review on it so far, from a Spanish website. So, probably have to wait for user reviews based on how many publications reviewed previous games in the series. Not the kind of game that IGN or the like typically cover unfortunately.

There was a release day patch, so unsure whether performance of the release version is better than the demo\trial version since I can’t verify it myself.

I dunno about that. My neighbor set it up on mine but I can play his Mario kart, mario party, and smash brothers at my house just fine.

Thanks will keep an eye or two out

That’s possible. It depends on the account you’re using, whether you’re online, and whether he’s trying to play at the same time as you.

I mean, you don’t have to believe me, I guess. But that’s how it works.
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22448/~/what-are-the-differences-between-a-primary-and-non-primary-nintendo-switch

It is possible to share eShop games, but in the general case, it’s a pain.

The easiest case to support is having an always-offline Switch that’s set as the primary, and another always-online one that’s the secondary, but it means you have to play all games on the secondary as a specific user, which causes problems in some games (some games -mostly first party- tie saves to the Switch account, but many do not)

Its not about belief as I really have no idea about it. I certainly dont do it often but everytime I tried it it works
shrug. No idea if their digital copies or what not and I dont think he plays my games. Lucky timing perhaps?

Hmm. Now I’m curious how it does works dammit!

So this game is stupid. It’s basically impossible. I don’t know what they were thinking. I don’t remember the game being this hard - i don’t remember any game as a kid being this hard. It’s like they deliberately made the hit boxes, size of obstacles, frequency and attack rate of monsters to work at every possible step to hinder, impede, or frustrate the player. Like they decided what “Ghosts 'n Goblins” was in some metaphysical sense a game that’s impossible to play.

It doesn’t help that i really don’t like the hand-drawn art look (for this particular game), the controls feel just a tiny bit laggy - which is enough to make the hard game even harder - and, hard to believe, but the original SNES soundtrack literally sounds better than this reimagined one.

I’d rate this game as a Hard Pass unless heavily discounted, or you’re a Twitch streamer looking for a game to get the lulz with.

Are you talking the SNES game or the arcade original?

Because the arcade original was stupidly hard.

I’m talking about the Switch remake i linked to above.

As reference material, I played the arcade version
 maybe once or twice. I finished the SNES version as a kid
 i don’t remember if I finished the Genesis version or not.

So I can’t really say if the Switch version is as hard as the arcade version. I know the Genesis and SNES versions were nothing so hard as this one, and it’s been a lifetime since i played those.

Yeah, I was talking about which original you were referring to.

Haven’t played the Switch version yet, but vídeos I’ve seen make it look very similar to the arcade original.

I mean the problem is that the arcade games were quarter traps that you could never master because you only ever managed to play 5-20 minutes of them in your entire lifetime. If that’s the target goal - make a quarter-trap game you can take home with you - well, job well done then! I doubt the average gamer will manage to complete the first stage of the first level (getting through 1-1 or whatever).

Played the original arcade game back in the day. Yes, there were quarter eaters with stupid difficulty settings, but Ghosts and Goblins was in a class of its own. I had actual reflexes back then and I was stunned by how quickly my games kept ending.

Of course, it looked and sounded excellent for its day, so I kept at it and kept failing.

It’s ridiculous if they haven’t got a toned down difficulty setting in a modern remake.

There are four difficulty levels. I was playing on Hard
 that’s not going to happen.

I mean, people finish these games on one credit. It’s not impossible. Check out LordBBH on Twitch sometime. He used to do MAME Roulette and just finish arcade games without ever seeing them before.

One man’s “quarter trap” is another man’s meme.

Well, we could compare one of the few hundred NBA players to one of the few million rec league basketball players while we’re at it.