Nintendo Switch

Alright, 3/31 is fast approaching, when Mario 3D All-Stars will no longer be available for purchase. I spent six months hoping for news of a future Mario Galaxy re-release (stand alone, combined with Mario Galaxy 2, whatever), and now with March 10 behind us (MAR10 day), if any such product is coming, Nintendo isn’t going to announce it before 3D All-Stars goes into the Disney Vault.

Has anyone heard any solid rumors anywhere else that should give me pause, or should I go ahead and drop the $60 on this? The reason I hesitate is because Mario Galaxy is really the only part of the package I care about.

There are physical copies available pretty easily. Even once it’s no longer in print, I expect it to be pretty easy to acquire if you want it. Well, until it isn’t.

It’s $50 online at Best Buy right now and always in-store at Walmart if you’re after a physical copy.

The rumor since day one is they’ll break up the bundle and sell each game for $25-30 digital only.

For me it is a real tough question. Mario 64 is a foundational important game of 3D. It’s a great game in its own right, and a true classic in every sense.

But I’ve also played and beaten it multiple times, on multiple systems. Most recently on DS. Do I really want to spend $60 to engage in nostalgia, and introduce my son to the game? When I know full well he would probably never enjoy it as much as Mario 3D land instead?

I remember the Giant Bomb crew being very disappointed in it, for what that’s worth.

Slightly upscaled/more easily playable on modern devices versions of Galaxy and Sunshine are what make it tempting for me. My GameCube and Wii are both in very poor shape. This would be a little insurance. My gf hates the idea of spending money on three games we already own though.

Despite having a Gamecube, I never played Sunshine. Which is weird, since I have played damn near every single other mainline Mario game ever made, going back to playing the original when I was about 5 at a friends house. I think the somewhat poor reception at the time kept me away.

Don’t destroy the beautiful Vaseline smeared lens of nostalgia, with the HD ugliness of reality.

Alright, ordered a physical copy from Walmart for $52. Maybe I’ll just leave it sealed for a few months and eBay it if Galaxy gets released separately. Maybe I’ll just keep it and end up liking Mario Sunshine too, who knows!?

If you have an original GameCube it’s very easy to get an HDMI adapter for it.

Doesn’t do anything about the very concerning noise it makes while spinning up the disc drive after years of being lugged around between half a dozen friends’ houses and dorms plus back and forth across the country, though!

I got one of these.

Damn, the internet has everything, don’t they?

I think today’s the last day you can buy Super Mario 3D All-Stars. (Or second last day?)

It should be available through tomorrow, the 31st. I have no idea what exact time that means though, so don’t wait until midnight!

Is anyone going to make a memorial thread for the death of Mario tomorrow?

Sigh.

I have to decide soon after I get home from work today I guess. My instinct says no. I already have two of them. Is it really worth it for Sunshine? Arrrgh. Surely not.

But Sunshine is SO good though

Arrrrgh. Damn you.

Ok, $65 spent. Now the code can sit in my email until I finally own a Switch Pro.