Nintendo Switch

Yeah, not to go full-on Mario Kart evangelist on you, but Mario Kart is super user friendly and accessible while being fun for experienced / older gamers. It’s well designed too—multiple classes of cars so they can start with the slower ones to get a handle on the gameplay, great catchup mechanics if someone falls behind, plus the assists in 8 Deluxe already mentioned—so I don’t think being unfamiliar with racing games, or gaming in general, is much of a hindrance. It’s always a crowd pleaser from my experience.

You’re probably going to want to look into getting extra controllers at some point. The Nintendo-produced pro controller is excellent, but there are also far cheaper alternatives as well that work for occasional multiplayer if you check Amazon or big box stores.

That is the same as my 6 and 9 year olds… younger on Minecraft, older on Roblox. And probably many many 6 and 9 year olds I imagine. ;)

The 6 year old is the one who absolutely loved Smash Bros. but I think it might be because of their personailities more than ages. He is a bit rougher, darker, and wilder I guess, enjoys the fighting.

They also loved that it has a bunch of Pokemon in it, Mewtoo was usually present in most fights. :P

Nah, that’s good info. I think I last played the Mario Kart on the DS, so I’m pretty out of the loop.

To be honest, I had never even considered this. They probably have friends who have a Switch and will want to play with them. OK! Another thing to consider!

You don’t need a subscription to play certain free games online. Basically the same ones that are free on Xbox (Fortnite, Paladins, etc).

Have 2 boys - 12 and 8 and we have 2 Wiis. Their greatest hits:

• Super Mario Maker 2 (endless fun designing and playing Mario levels)
  • Splatoon 2
  • Minecraft
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Then all the other Mario Bros games (I think we have pretty much everything released), Yoshi’s Crafter World, Luigis Mansion, Mario Kart, several Lego games, Toad Treasure Tracker, Overcooked, Necrodancer,

Have both of the two first Pokemon games, but they haven’t really “stuck” - I played them signfiicantly longer than the kids. Same for Animal Crossing.

Were the kids already into Pokemon though? Mine watched the shows, collected the cards, and adored both the Let’s Go and the Sword & Shield games.

All 3 of my kids enjoy this immensely, 2,4, and 7. Plus there are assists for auto acceleration and steering that keep them from falling off courses. It’s great for kids.

My kids also enjoy faffing about in Animal Crossing.

There is also the Lego games on Switch, highly recommended if you don’t have them elsewhere.

One thing not brought up yet, LABO!

Get the Labo vehicle kit. My kids LOVE this. It is also Mario Kart (and other game) compatible. They have a blast using the steering wheel and such. Important note, this will be something you do with them. The assembly of the cardboard components can be tricky for small hands. The tutorials and folding instructions are very Nintendo, polished and thorough, and completely visual so anyone can understand.

There are other Labo but we only have Vehicles so far. Still, 100% worth it.

Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battles is an excellent Xcom with a unique gameplay hook on movement. My 7 year old enjoyed it, as do I. Big surprise hit really.

Scribblenauts is also another good one for kids.

If you have any questions, since I am one of the people who has kids close to your age and has a Switch, let me know.

Not super much, but they were into Pokemon Go before we got the games.

And it’s not that they didn’t play them - they did. They just didn’t stay with it for long. If I were to hazard a guess, I suspect it’s the “grind” that got them (seeing as I’ve never finished either game either - although I’ve done a lot - I can’t blame them).

I have no idea what this is!

This is the one we have. There are others, but my kids love it.

Labo was, IIRC, recently discontinued, so get it while you can.

The new Game Builder Garage seems like the spiritual successor.

My 8-yr old daughter played for a few hours tonight and loved it!

Very much this. Its super slick and saved/cost me a ton.

DekuDeals has a feature where they list the total cost of buying your wishlist right now, and the total cost spent on games in your collection. They have brought Nintendo an alarming amount of business from me.

I guess I should dig out my DSi and finish Advance Wars…

No need, this is a remake.

Guys they’ll totally announce the switch pro any second now they’re just trying to weed out fake fans don’t worry it’s coming

Damn you.

Metroid Dread (2d Metroid ala Samus Returns) is probably the biggest news.

Also:

• New Warioware
  • New Mario Party
  • SMT V trailer
  • Advance Wars remake
  • BOTW trailer (2022)

A pretty strong lineup.