Nintendo Switch

There’s not a cheap solution to wireless audio plus mic support… but there’s one that’s fairly simple:

Homespot Pro
Headphones that support AptX LL codec

You have low latency audio from your switch (docked or not) mixed with a BT connection to your phone for Discord or whatever.

I was in the market for headphones anyway, ended up spending $150 on Avantree cans and $50 on the Homespot Pro. But I get to feel like I’m a real online gamer when I do it.

I haven’t tried the new BT option in the Switch, but Nintendo has confirmed it’s just the SBC codec, so I’d expect a bit of latency. But hey, BT audio support finally.

That’s amazing.

I leave my PS Vita alone all the time. Sometimes for one year, sometimes two or three or four years. The battery is always dead every time I come back. So then I charge it, and by the time it’s charged I forget why I was charging a device I never use and put it back in the drawer.

You mentionned a Gameboy, I experienced this back in the first fat DS days already. A far cry from the average electronics, especially Sony’s.

I wonder what whacky new controller or peripheral Nintendo is coming up with now.

Maybe it’s something new for a new Ring Fit adventure.

Don’t get my hopes up!

Ring Fit Adventure is an incredible thing in a lot of ways, but unfortunately it can’t hold my interest long-term to benefit from a consistent routine for getting in shape. I do love exercising with it, but as a game I find it mostly a boring slog. My dream is that they take all of these exercises and the basic combat mechanics and turn it into an addictive roguelike that will keep me wanting to play it every day. Collect a randomized set of exercises on each run, maybe some Slay the Spire deckbuilding. There’s a lot of potential for really engaging gameplay combined with the exercise systems, but I just can’t bring myself to keep coming back daily to read uninspired dialogue, fight the same dragon boss repeatedly, and jog through levels that never offer me anything interesting to do. The music and spoken dialogue also drives me nuts pretty quickly.

Thank you for the long term review of Ring Fit Adventure! I’d only heard good things up to now. Good to know that things get repetitive after a while and de-motivating. That’s not normally something I consider important what with huge backlogs and such, but for an exercise game, it sounds pretty dang important to have long term appeal for exercise.

Dammit now I want this game and I’m already frustrated that it doesn’t exist! A roguelike would be the perfect way to implement a workout program with randomized exercises! Then add in a meta-game a la Zombies Run and you’ve got yourself a long-term workout plan. Genius!

I wonder if there’s an API for the Ring Fit…someone could get on that!

If there was I would be tempted to quit my job and build this thing. But since this is a Nintendo game, chances are slim as heck that they made this stuff reusable and developer friendly.

The ring fit just is just a resistance ring that uses joy-con fxnality, for actual control, right? Looks like Joy-con drivers have been around for years.

IIRC, there may be some kind of communication going between them for the ring compression stuff, or maybe the various internal JoyCon gyros are more sensitive than I thought.

There’s definitely communication from the ring to the joycon about ring compression. But I have no idea if it’s communicating that in a way existing drivers could capture.

Yeah, I’m specifically wondering if folks with access to Nintendo DevKit materials can pull that communication with existing APIs, or if it’s some secret driver sauce only the internal team that made Ring Fit Adventure has access to. Cuz if it’s “publicly” (at least to 3rd party devs) accessible, I think there’s absolutely room for additional content there. But maybe it’s totally impossible. Probably so, or there’d be a raft of $1.00 shovelware titles touting Ring Fit compatibility choking the sales screen on the eShop at any given time.

Yeah, Ring-con has a flex sensor and communicates with the attached Joy-con via the rail attachment.

I think that flex value may just over-ride one axis of the accelerometer, which the Joy-con sends to Switch over Bluetooth as per usual.

Spent most out my evening playing Eastward, which is very sweet, very pretty, and relatively clever. I definitely lost 45 minutes in the game within a game NES-era JRPG copycat alone, and need to go back to it for extra runs, but for now, I’m deep in some catacombs under the mayor’s house, which I suspect I’ll still get caught at the end of, but at least I just replaced his prepared speech about exiling us with an adult magazine!

I’m pretty bad at the very simple combat and puzzle navigation the game has slowly introduced already, and the clips in the trailer of circle strafing baddies with a gun don’t fill me with hope about my ability to keep up!

Lots of very cleverly hidden secrets all over, and the soundtrack is exactly as good as the trailer makes it out to be. Excellent father daughter vibes, after a sort, if that’s your thing.

I did have one random crash when exiting a map after finishing a quest, but the auto save system had me back up and running with less than ten seconds lost, which is pretty crazy.

I’ve got that one on my wishlist, tempted to pick it up soon. Keep us posted if your impressions change.

Its funny to me that the trailer is 100% vibes, there’s almost no hint about the gameplay other than “probably like a 16-bit RPG, maybe?”

It’s just rumors and speculation, but I think their reasoning is very sound. I’m thinking N64 games are coming to Nintendo Online, and the new controller might be an N64 controller for Switch.

Mixed immediate reactions.

On the one hand, some of my best gaming memories were on the N64.

Otoh, the 3ds and the switch are for me superior machines, with superior games.

Best viewed on an OLED screen, I assume, haha