Nintendo Switch

I’ve been putting off telling my wife I purchased yet another $300 gadget. Since it’s coming in a couple of days, I can’t procrastinate on this task anymore. I think maybe phrase it in a way that it will be a good one for our son to play in a year or so, and the games on it are more kid friendly so when he sees me playing them, it will draw out his curiosity and imagination.

I’d just lead with “I am weak…”

:)

I was thinking of leading with “it’s just a pre-order, I can still cancel”. But maybe I don’t want to mention that. Hmmm.

“That fat bastard Armando Penblade bullied me into it! He’s so mean! Please don’t be mad.”

Is there a specific game your wife might enjoy?

I picked up Animal Crossing for her and the kids. This was not an incorrect decision.

Be a man. Create a secret PayPal account and pour 10$ per month in it to buy new toys every couple years!

Having your family take over the switch isn’t a solution.

Yeah @Rock8man, real men hide things from their wives. Don’t you watch any soap operas?

Heheh, look I’m fine with hiding things, that’s why I’ve been able to see my parents daily over the last few years. By not telling her! But yeah, a physical device showing up and having to be hooked up to the TV is not something I can hide.

Play undocked and you avoid that issue!

How can you watch TV and play at the same time? You mean during commercials?

Sort of - generally commercials are when I play, but I do a lot of gaming while a show I’m partially listening to is on in the background. In the living room it’s easy as I am facing the TV so I can always put my iPad (or Switch) down and look up when something interesting is happening, and some shows I give my full attention to, but some shows I’m really only there for partial interest and to spend time with the wife.

By the by, I got a call from Video Games Etc. - my pre-order will be available on Friday, and I did some asking out of curiosity and while they had several dozen pre-orders, they are only getting SIX units in. Thankfully I’m number 5.

Oh hey, I just checked Walmart’s shipping info, and my arrival estimate has been moved to October 12th. So I can procrastinate some more!

just get a divorce, then you can do whatever you want (I know I do)…

Better be quick: after the 12th the Switch will be fodder.

Got my OLED model - but have to run in and get groceries first!

Hi everyone, this year for my 45th I am getting a switch. I need recommendations for games. Especially ones I can play in Bursts of 30-60 Minutes. Haven’t really been paying attention to nintendo since the DS. I know Breath of the Wild is a must buy and maybe Mario Cart? Thanks!

What kind of games do you like? For 30-60 minutes Smash Ultimate is great.

I am flexible. Games I like are usually Skyrim sized and I just don’t have time for that really. So want to branch out and discover new things.

Do you have kids?

As a general rule most of the first party games are a good bet. But obviously if you hate platformers don’t go for Mario.

If you don’t already have Hades, get that. Metroid Dread is the new hotness, I just picked it up today, and early on I’m diggiing it.