Nintendo Switch

I don’t know, but my daughter would! I’ll try to remember to ask her in the morning before she goes to school!

Since you aren’t trophy/achievement hunting, no. Feel free to move on. You can also replay chapters later if you want.

After finishing chapter 1 and all the challenges, there is much more to explore and move on to next chapter. You’ll have to start over again with just a normal weapon. It feels sucky, but i think this also brings some joy to rebuild a new village with the new stuff. This is also going to happen after chapter 2 and 3. So don’t get too attached to your village. :)

OMG is Super Mario U Deluxe tough! The first stage was easy but I got my ass handed to me in stage 2 and it took all day to get thru stage 3. The only Mario game I really enjoyed was the one back on the Gameboy (pre color days) and this one is super fun. But I may never get close to completing it.

There’s also a kind “free build” mode called Terra Incognita that will unlock when you finish Chatper 1.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Once I found out that I can return to chapter 1 anytime I wanted I didn’t feel as hesitant to move forward. I just generally hate those games that take all my stuff away and make me start off from scratch. Typically that applies to RPGs or any Story game that sticks me in the jail or something, but sometimes those feelings apply to other types of games as well.

So once I started chapter 2 I was very happily faced with death. What I mean is that as soon as I got into the world I hit the ground running and started exploring and just mining random things. I was happy to see that many of my blueprints and recipes carried over so I didn’t have to go through all of the very early quests to unlock those sorts of things again. What I was surprised to find early in ch2, and this is mostly because there wasn’t very much pushback in the first chapter, was that after a few minutes I was starving and completely out of food and I had no idea where to go to find any. I ended up running around the map looking for anything I could find, but managed to die before I found anything edible. This wasn’t so bad because chapter 2 is turning out to be quite a lot more rewarding on the survival front.

Normally I’m not into hardcaore survival games, but I do like light survival aspects in games like this. I like that there’s a purpose for me to go out and explore and to be happy about something when I actually find it on the ground (where in ch1 everything was mkre or less available 20 feet from my base or portal). I like that I’m rewarded for stocking up when I can. Chapter one really just seems like a five-hour long tutorial to me, which is probably by design, but those can be real big humps for me to get over. I just like to dive into the game head first and then figure things out, and that wouldn’t have been so bad in this game if I didn’t find that everything was locked behind actually completing all of the little quests that the NPC’s gave me.

I also like chapter 2 because my goals are different from chapter 1. I like that the water is toxic and I have to focus on collecting and utilizing different things that I did in the first chapter in order to survive. Although I’m not as hard up for food or healing supplies now that I know where to get and make both, I am still plugging away trying to put together some of the nice amenities that my other town had. And I like that this particular chapter is way less Hands-On than the first one. I know technically I could have stopped progressing at any point in chapter one and then just done my own thing, But I have a hard time doing stuff like that when I know there’s so many unlocks still waiting for me to get to. I like to unlock everything and then just go see what I can actually do with the tools I have, rather than build up something great only to find out I have to tear it down because I need to put something else in that an NPC might require in order to unlock something crucial.

Anyway, now that I’m in Chapter 2 I’m starting to understand a lot of the praise that reviewers and players heap on this game.

Nindies direct today had a bunch of cool-looking announcements.

Most of these didn’t do much for me. Blaster Master was nostalgic though, and might be fun. The survival/turn-based isometric view game seems like it could be cool as well.

I will say, however, Cadence of Hyrule looked amazing and I’m in on that day one. That made the entire half hour worth while.

Creature in the Well is reminiscent of Firestriker on SNES, which is a really cool concept that looks far more fleshed out here. I’m definitely in for that.

Ok, I will gladly buy Crypt of the Necrodancer for the third time for that Zelda expansion. Looks great.

Blaster Master Zero 2 is an easy sell for me. Inti Creates has done a great job with their retro-throwbacks and remakes, and I’ll happily play more Blaster Master.

It looks like a fully different game (albeit with the same mechanics) rather than an expansion per se (based on the viewport appearing the be much closer in). I assume the original CotND content isn’t in there.

I’ll buy that, too!

Verge (via Wall Street Journal) reporting on two rumoured Switch models to be shown at E3, and released this year. A budget model and a higher-end…

I need to stop buying current gen consoles and just wait until they become last gen and then buy the best version of the last gen model from there.

I’m sure I’ll be proven wrong, but I’m skeptical about the high-spec model.

A version that ran “docked-mode” when un-docked would be kind of obvious, but another mode on top of that seems unlikely. I suppose that developers are already explicitly developing 2 modes for docked and handheld, so adding another mode might not be that much extra effort, but unless they’re getting feedback from devs clamoring for more power, it seems like wishful thinking.

Maybe there’s some very easy gains from stepping to a newer Tegra, but it would be hard to manage the marketing. I doubt they’d want to fragment their base with games incompatible with existing hardware. The “Only for New 3DS” was very late in the lifecycle, and also kind of a disaster?

True, but the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X model of “we’ll just up your resolution/framerate” has worked out fine. The Switch has plenty of room for that - a lot of AAA games don’t really run at 1080 when docked as it is.

If the high-end model turns out to be thinner, as previously speculated, I will be all over it.

As always with “reports” about what Nintendo is doing that aren’t specifically announcements from Nintendo, I’m taking all of this with a few dozen grains of salt. Nintendo hardware rumors always make for some of the juiciest clickbait, and being from the WSJ (who have reported similar things in the past that turned out to be made-up lies) isn’t enough to sway me toward thinking this is definitely a thing that’s happening.

Yeah, there’s nothing there until Nintendo says there is. The Wii Remote was already in development and generating articles like this during the time before Gamecube. Don’t get your hopes up until they actually announce something.