Nintendo Switch

Yes, the one where they announce the new Switch model every year!
Can’t wait for that-insider-who-is-my-uncle-who-works-at-Nintendo to come out of the closet ;D

I’m still hoping to get a Trials of Fire and/or Wildermyth release date for the Switch.

I’m hoping they announce another mainline Mario game for next year, based on the work they did for Bowser’s Fury, which was just amazing. A full game of open world Mario like that would be bliss.

We’ll get the Super Switch U 2 once we’ve had a full year of Linux on desktop.

I’m hoping they don’t announce anything because I’m well into a time-eating RPG because of someone, and I don’t have that much spare time out of my sleep!

Review are out for Mario Strikers and it’s pretty much what was expected. Solid gameplay, but very little content at launch and heavily multiplayer oriented.

Sample review:

I really don’t understand this strategy by Nintendo, especially since they have a tendency to drop support for multiplayer or multiplayer-adjacent games really quickly even if they have a huge active player base. It makes it very difficult to justifying buying stuff if you’re on the fence. Luckily for Nintendo, I’m all in on this particular one.

Really want to pick this up, but with the limited content in it now, it’s really hard to justify the price. Imagine if they released a Mario Kart game with just ten characters and five courses! I want to at least see kind of future content timeline (if it even exists) before I will seriously consider buying it now.

Anybody dove into Strikers yet? I’m curious to hear some real experiences with it.

I’ll dive in soon. Skipped Tennis and Golf because of the reviews… this is only doing a bit better but… it looks fun?

So despite my hesitation from a couple posts above, I ended up picking it up anyway (damn you, Nintendo).

It’s a really fun, arcade soccer game that really needs more content. The basic gameplay has been polished and tuned perfectly, and is much more approachable than the latest Mario Tennis game. My six-year old son is really enjoying it and it is fun to play together.

However, it really needs more gameplay modes and characters. Even the in-game options are really bare (no auto-skip cutscenes option, bah!).

I would recommend the game to anyone who likes arcade soccer games, especially if you have kids. Could also be fun with a large group of friends, like in a college dorm. No idea if the online is any good, since I don’t play these kind of games online much.

If you are looking for a deep single player or season mode, then you will certainly be disappointed. To be honest, even with the strong multiplayer gameplay, it’s a bit overpriced, and a complete rip-off if you are mainly a single player gamer.

I doubt I’ll be getting Strikers, but I’ll mention that the other Mario sports titles have received pretty good (and free) post release support. Golf has had lots of new courses added (most of them better than what shipped with the game) and Tennis—which, for the record, is a horrible game and I regret purchasing it—got lots of new characters. However, I wouldn’t expect new modes or anything like that, especially not single player modes. I think Golf works okay as a single player score chase game, but these all seem specifically designed for local multiplayer.

So, I expect Strikers will eventually get a fair number of new characters, maybe a new stadium or two as well, though the latter seems much less important in Strikers than it is in Golf.

The official press release, announcing “Gan Sumoku”, showed the care that was being put into this XD

Thanks for the writeup cpugeek13.

Sounds like a pretty fun $30 game. Too bad it’ll never get below $40.

How is it there are no PopCap games for Switch?

Nintendo first party never go on sale down from their $79.99 sticker price up here in Canada

Anyone have a must have Switch game that I can add to my collection before we head off for a 2 week trip to London/Paris tonight? :D Preferably on sale! All genres welcome, just looking for suggestions of the can’t-put-it-down variety since I’m terrible at sleeping on planes. Thanks!

The time is ideal to play the older Monster Hunter Generations, it’s 11$ now, down from 40 or 50, and you’ll need a dozen round earth trips to learn the basics!

If you like open world and don’t mind the lengthy loadings, Lego City Undercover is at 6 bucks right now.

And for mindless companionship, all the Picross games are on sale now. You can spend about 20, 30 hours on each.

Spiritfarer is up for $10 and very beautiful. Celeste is $5 if you’re into pixel art bastard-hard platforming.

He’ll be done with Spiritfarer before the plane gets a spot on the runway though.