Nintendo Switch

Does it still have the gacha mechanics? I bounced off 2 pretty hard.

Beautiful comparison.

Is that the thing where there are purchasable loot crates? Yikes. I didnā€™t even get that far - I just didnā€™t find the combat very engaging (though I only put like 2 hours into it, if even, so I probably didnā€™t get to where the combat is good).

I canā€™t remember the exact details, but basically youā€™re constantly rolling in game currency to try to get good character stats. Probably you could buy the rolls but I canā€™t remember. If it were an ARPG it would be one thing, but in an trad-RPG it really grates.

If I recall, it was time-gated more than anything else. It wasnā€™t terrible so much as just completely unnecessaryā€¦ and for all that I say it wasnā€™t terrible, I definitely didnā€™t finish the game, and Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s because I have broken completionist brain and one of the uncommon blades just would. not. drop. I mostly liked XC2 other than that, too! (Though not as much as the first, and it was an egregious example of a JRPG that was just way longer time-wise than the story needed it to be.)

I donā€™t think you even get a full size party in XC2 until like 10+ hours in? Iā€™m pretty sure you donā€™t get full combat mechanics (break/topple/launch/smash) until way later.

Thereā€™s a couple points in XC2 where you donā€™t have a full party, but youā€™re still allowed to free-roam around the map and do side quests, but youā€™re super handicapped in battle. What you should do in those segments is bee-line through the plot until you get back up to strength, but that isnā€™t communicated at all.

I always assumed something like this is what happened - when I tried to play it years ago it didnā€™t really occur to me I was going to get a lot more complexity and interesting systems as I made my way into the story, and by the time it did Iā€™d long since sold the game. But, at this point, Iā€™m interested in giving XC3 a real shot, assuming it gets good reviews (which seems likely).

I donā€™t think so. They have something to take its place that I donā€™t really understand yet where you equip one extra type of character that isnā€™t a regular party member but it sounds like there arenā€™t too many of those and you donā€™t pick them up via gacha mechanics.

Yeah I think I was still getting new combat mechanic tutorial popups more than 20 hours in :)

The final tutorial pop-up in XC2 appears something like 80 hours into the game. Itā€™s not combat-related (Iā€™m pretty sure), but yeah.

Is the Switch region-free? There are some physical compilation collections (Aleste, NAMCOT, Tiger-Heli, Taito) that are only in Japan/Asia that I would like to import if thatā€™s possible.

The Switch appears to have quite a lot of these, third after the PSP and PS2.

Also, does QT3 play in docked mode or handheld? If the latter, what grip accessory do you recommend? Iā€™m looking at Hori, Skull & Co. or Satisfye.

The Switch is region-free, and you can also easily access other regionsā€™ digital stores. If a given Switch is registered as an accountā€™s primary device, digital content from that account is available for all users on that Switch. This includes things like being able to access the international Nintendo Switch Online NES/SNES/Genesis/N64 apps - if you have the relevant subscription on your main account, you can access the other regionsā€™ versions of the same apps by downloading them with an account for that region.

I play both handheld and docked. I donā€™t use any sort of grip accessory for most stuff, but if Iā€™m playing vertical games, I use the Flip Grip.

Thanks! I didnā€™t know this even existed. I have a lot of shmups so this would help for Tate mode.

Just make sure the games you want to play support the correct portrait orientation. The Flip Grip is built so that it doesnā€™t block the game card port or headphone jack, which means the Switch can only be inserted one way, and a surprising number of games only offer a single rotation direction.

I bought mine for shmups as well, but I also play Groove Coaster with it, and I hear itā€™s nice for pinball games that support it.

I play exclusively handheld, even at home. I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0828V1R6Y/

And a Pro controller and itā€™s terrific.

So I played Kirby a month or so ago. Iā€™ve got Metroid Dread lined up this month. Splatoon 3 is out in September, and Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope in October. I know Iā€™m late with Dread but itā€™s a bumper year for me with Nintendo.

Picked up the Hori Grip Pro and itā€™s so much more responsive than then janky JoyCons. It looks like the FanGamer vertical mode thing wonā€™t work with anything but the official JoyCons. Too bad the Hori doesnā€™t have gyro and force feedback support.

I use mine almost completely portable, with one of these:

Hori Nintendo Switch Split Pad Pro (Black) Ergonomic Controller for Handheld Mode - Officially Licensed By Nintendo - Nintendo Switch Amazon.com

I use mine docked, of course. With a Pro Controller. As I learned recently though, if it falls over, make sure itā€™s in the dock properly when you set it straight again on the carpet. (Well, as straight as you can get it on carpet, itā€™s never really straight vertical on carpet).

I had the Hori, but didnā€™t end up liking it very much. I much prefer these from Binbok:

They have gyro and rumble and their own batteries and can be used detached like a pro controller, all things the Hori lack. Plus I think the Binbok is more comfortable.