Nintendo Switch

Kickstarters and Switch stands aren’t necessarily exciting items these days, but this one looks like a winner. It’s a little pricey at $30 IMO, but I do think there’s more utility in this stand over a number of others because it looks like you could do a more permanent setup with it on your desk.

http://kck.st/3K4p9Fr

Not only the best Switch launch performance, but the best launch sales ever for a video game in Japan. The previous top spot was held by Animal Crossing: New Horizons. On top of that:

Japan is Switch country, but more than that, it seems like it’s Splatoon country.

Took them merely 30 years to get onboard the FPS train!

Nintendo marketed the hell out of it. Expect many, many complaints about how dizzy the game makes people in the coming weeks.

I thought Splatoon was 3rd person? And so it shouldn’t make people dizzy, right?

Also, the first two games were already immensely popular in Japan - the first one sold almost two million copies over its lifetime on the Wii U - so the new one could have been reasonably expected to do well regardless of how much they marketed it. I don’t think it was expected to break launch sales records or become the best-selling game in Japan of 2022 in three days, though.

Nintendo is going to have a banner year in Japan. Pokémon is yet to come…

I found this headline kind of bemusing.

Bit ridiculous, innit? What’s the difference between doing a live stream (which most certainly is not actually live anyway) and putting up a video right afterwards?

It’s pretty chaotic over there from what I’ve seen on this forum, Twitter, etc. Businesses are tripping all over themselves trying not to move on with life too quickly because the Queen is dead. IMO, it’s an outdated thing. Even the late Queen probably wouldn’t care if Nintendo was livestreaming new games coming soon.

The pear clutching in the replies to this tweet and his follow ups had me laughing.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1567936171757420548?s=46&t=6qzJCJVPi3c4Jgxb9PF5cQ

There are some really great replies in that thread. I saw it when it was happening. 😂

BOTW2 news. Has to be.

It’s this winter’s games, so I doubt it. BOTW2 is 2023 I thought? I bet it will launch next spring or summer.

Twitter has always been insane for dozens of reasons so I’m pleasantly surprised to find another amusing facet to its lunacy. Thank you for sharing this!

So far on the stream I’m really excited for Fire Emblem Engage (odd name, but it’s the next main line Strategy/RPG title - it looks about the same as Fire Emblem with a bit more punch to the visuals/effects maybe, but it looks to be an excellent entry in the system), and Octopath Traveler II was announced and sounds like it may address the minor concerns I had with the first game (including a more cohesive story). I like the idea that day/night plays into how each characters power will work.

I’m also excited for the upcoming Mario/Rabbids sequel of course, I’m skipping the footage on that, I want to be surprised by the characters, mechanics, biomes, and all that stuff. That’s an auto-buy for me.

Also Factorio drops late October.

Man, so many “farm simulation” games coming out. At least 2, maybe 3 or more.

The next Zelda is officially titled Tears of the Kingdom and will release May 12th, 2023! Easily my most anticipated game.

Oh, shit, Breath of the Wild 2 - Tears of the Kingdom is the actual name - drops 5/12/2023 and looks like it’s going to be amazing.

Even that tiny amount of footage was incredible. Next year seems light years away at this point.

Very excited about Fire Emblem, especially that January date, perfect release slot, should be just about done the Tactics Ogre Remaster by then. Octopath II in Feb is nice as well, though I’m going to be a little more careful there after the first one (which was Fine) and Triangle Strategy (which was probably also Fine in the end, but my expectations going in were way too high). I am happy that everyone else is happy about Zelda, and will look forward to hear what they’ve changed from BotW.