Nintendo Switch

I’ll keep an eye on impressions here for it. Especially about the sounds of Sports Story.

I bought Golf Story based on the recommendations here, and no one warned me that it’s the loudest game I’ve ever played, with a series of 8-bit sounding beeps and noises. So annoying that I had to immediately switch the game off.

I need to give that game another try with the sound off.

Golf Story is still my favorite Switch game.

ResetERA thread is increasingly full of people talking about performance issues, which just seems weird.

Why not just … lower the volume? Or turn the volume off entirely? I played Golf Story while watching TV without the sound on and enjoyed the hell out of it.

My volume on the TV was already at a minimum. It was still really loud. I’m not sure how this game defies the laws of physics to be this loud, but it does.

I honestly keep forgetting that the Switch can be docked.

Hm. The game just froze on me.

I’ve never tried to dock mine. I mean, it’s the Lite and it can’t be docked, but I’ve never tried to dock it.

I guess the only way that’s possible is your audio source was not actually the TV speakers but some other output… in any case, it’s a shame, as it’s a pretty fun little game!

Also, when I did play it docked the volume was 100% normal to other games I play, so I’m not sure what was going on there on any level, I admit.

You have intuited correctly. I didn’t want to go into details, but basically I don’t use TV speakers, I use a pair of speakers and a subwoofer, outputted from the TV. At the minimum volume, it’s usually a very nice volume from my living room, but not in this case. Especially when the bleeps and blops sound like midi sounds.

Digital Foundry crew in their latest Direct apparently say they’ve talked to multiple developers who say the Switch Pro was really planned at some point, just like the leaks were saying, but that it was cancelled. And that no Switch Pro is now in the works, so don’t expect another iteration until the Switch successor, whatever that turns out to be. Interesting.

It’s too bad as I would have definitely bought a Pro. I assume supply issues and price increases doomed it in 2020. Oh well, if Super Switch 64 will play poor performing Switch games at a solid framerate I’ll be there in hurry. I’ve skipped at least Hyrule Warriors and Arceus for that reason.

Hyrule Warriors plays perfectly smooth. Its ill-inspired and quite mediocre Breath of the Wild sequel goes into the 20s sometimes, but I’d skip that game altogether anyway.

Yeah, it was the sequel I was referring to. I played the demo which was enough for me to know the performance wasn’t going to be tolerable for me.

Strange Horticulture is on sale for $10 and Lost in Play is on sale for $13 on the eshop.

Both made it onto my wishlist thanks to game of the year articles in that thread. Both are only on PC and Switch. In the past I would buy those on PC, but with low graphics games that might not have any compromises on the Switch, I figured the console might be the better place to buy them since you can play them on the living room TV.

Anyone played either of those two on the Switch?

I just finished Strange Horticulture on the Switch over the holidays, and would recommend playing on PC if possible. Performance-wise, it was totally fine. I had a good time with the game. But…

The game has a primary interface like Papers, Please, where you’re moving things around a physical desk and opening drawers and whatnot, and quite often typing out labels with the keyboard to place on plants. The Switch version has button shortcuts for 90% of these actions and has an option to auto-label known plants, but it is more cumbersome than I had imagined. The only real dealbreaker, depending on your preferences, is the text size. It is REALLY small and the game has a lot of handwritten notes to read. I used the option to remap the shoulder buttons to zoom in the entire screen and even with that, it was sometimes a struggle in handheld mode.

Oh nice! Thanks for the warning. That’s really useful. I’ll remove it from my Switch wishlist and add it to my Steam wishlist instead.

I was going to post the same thing: mouse driven pc games make usually for terrible switch ports, and the screenshots for this one had made me remove it from my wishlist on the blessed little portable piece of happiness.

Anyone tried this yet? The reviews (critics and users) are brutal:

Golf Story was the first Switch game I ever loved so it would be a shame if this can’t be fixed with patches, though the issues seem deeper than mere technical/performance bugs (“bloated design,” “unfun new sports”).

Metacritic fully realizing itself on phones now.

Who cared about who wrote what, but now even the sites names are gone. You’re just a number!