Nintendo Switch

Professor Layton game for the Switch? I was always curious about the series.

Itā€™s really cozy and fun! I wish they would just dump all the old games onto the Switch. But I will take whatever Layton I can get!

Baten Kaitos Remaster is something I wanted but had 0% expectation of. Makes sense to leverage their Monolith relationship though.

Deca Police seems maybe interesting, a more JRPG take on Danganronpa style detection games maybe?

Fashion Dreamer fills a very conspicuous Style Savvy sized hole.

Itā€™s interesting to remaster DS titles like Etrian and Ghost Trick onto Switch. If done well, it seems like it could function as the definitive edition for posterity, and widescreen/touchscreen seems much more future device supportable than DS vertical screens artificially emulated to be side by side.

I have purchased nearly all of the Etrian Odyssey games and end up burning out in the first 10-20 hours. Is there a compelling reason I should go back and push through the part where I normally give up and actually get to the end of one?

Is it just me or is $40 for Metroid Prime remastered too much? I get it, itā€™s Nintendo, but I thought at some point weā€™d be getting a rerelease of the Prime Trilogy from the Wii. Iā€™d pay $40 for that. Iā€™d probably pay $60 for that. I think itā€™s insane to imagine paying $120 over three separate releases if thatā€™s the direction this is going.

Even as notorious as Nintendo is for infrequently and insubstantially discounting old games, this stings.

Tell that to the Etrian fans who are gonna be asked 90ā‚¬ for their collection.

I donā€™t think Etrian Odyssey would be the same without that second screen.

The proposed portable control scheme seems competent enough, with an horizontal split screen in portable mode. But the game is just too perfect for the DS in my opinion.

I also think it is, but Iā€™m part of the problem, I guess, because I snapped it up right away. That being said, I only ever really connected with MP1 and to a lesser extent MP3, so those arenā€™t high on my priority list.

The remaster does look and play exceptionally well. Using the standard FPS twin stick controls really make this a joy to play. I also enjoyed the Wii controls back in the day, but had some issues when I tried using them with an emulator.

Tommy Tallarico adds another game to his paid world record or ā€œmost games worked onā€

What was it at original launch in 2002? $50? Thatā€™s like $85 today. So itā€™s technically half off.

That sent me down a weird rabbit hole. Iā€™m going to put it on my Metroid Prime audio trivia shelf right next to ā€œAutechre almost did the OST before Nintendo stepped in and stopped it.ā€

Please watch this. Yes, itā€™s two hours long. Itā€™s as good and fascinating as the ā€œLine Goes Upā€ documentary.

I donā€™t think $40 is too much to ask for a remaster of the Citizen Kane of Gaming. Honestly, Iā€™ve been wanting to check it out since that article came out. I did try once on GameCube, but the controls were terrible. With twin stick controls I could see it being accessible to me for the first time.

Iā€™m probably the wrong person to answer this: Iā€™ve only put any meaningful time into the original version of the first one (I also bought the second one, and just kind ofā€¦ never got to it). I am excited about these remakes because of the improvements that have apparently already been made in prior remakes of these games, for the upgrades in the version (including additional support for better auto-mapping, since the maps are not the reason I am here), and for an excuse to get into some of the later games (apparently 3 is quite well regarded, in particular).

I do play most of the JRPG-style dungeon crawlers more generally and have dropped a few that Iā€™ve otherwise quite liked after a similar 10-20 hour mark (Infinite Adventures, Saviors of Sapphire Wings), while completing some other long ones (Labyrinth of Refrain, Etrian 1). Usually once Iā€™m past that point, itā€™s just about whether I want to keep seeing the various systems built upon and stretched out even further. (And Iā€™m sure some of it is about opportunity and other distractions; being able to play on portable certainly helps.) Sorry if thatā€™s not super helpful, but itā€™s what Iā€™ve got!

If it was just an up-res port of the original I would think it was too much, but Retroā€™s done substantial work. If you do a side-by-side of the Switch against the GC version you can see how the assets and textures have been completely overhauled, thereā€™s a new control scheme, etc. Years of effort went into this but I think our hazy memories or having played it emulated might obfuscate how much itā€™s changed. I do have to say it looks really nice in action. 60fps in handheld, too.

Ha, I just heard about this and went ā€œAw man, Iā€™m going to have to get a Switch!ā€ Followed shortly by the realization that my son has a Switch! No doubt he will share with me selflessly. I gotta have some more Layton.

Iā€™m convinced that the new Zeldaā€™s price point is there to make this new voucher thing more attractive.

Instead of paying $70 for new Zelda and $60 for Pikmin 4, I can pay $100 for two vouchers that have to be used within a year, and those two games can be bought using the vouchers.

If you know youā€™re going to buy two of those games then that seems like the way to go.

Itā€™s a great way to get people to switch to digital too, without officially offering a discount on games. Itā€™s genius! :)