Nintendo Switch

The main problem with Etrian (and a handful of other DS titles), is that a stylus interface isnt really the same as a finger-touch interface. There’s a level of accuracy that the mapping requires (placing individual walls) that will be hard to make feel good on the Switch with big fat fingers blocking half your view at all times. And a floating gesture pointer is different still.

It’s not really new though, it’s been a thing here in Asia Pacific for what seems like forever now. Saved a bit of money on new release Switch games over the years thanks to those vouchers. :)

It was also available elsewhere ages ago, but I think they retired it for a while, in US at least.

That’s great to hear because it’s amazing. One of the reasons I loved the Metroid Prime games though (at least the first two games–3 was very patchy) was because it didn’t use twin-stick controls. I’ve always thought they were clunky. In fact, with 3, it was a step towards motion aiming (Splatoon was the revelation that brought me back to console shooting). I’m sure I’d have muddled through back in the day but that lock-on and stick aim cut a lot of the clunk out. Presumably it’s twin-stick with the lock-on? That’s the best of both worlds! I can see how the original control scheme would feel awkward now, a bit like Resident Evil 4’s stationary shooting.

Metroid Prime Echoes is my favourite in the series though, I think. It’s been awhile.

Can you still lock onto enemies with twin stick controls?

And it looks like you can just buy the vouchers with eShop credit, so if you have a Costco membership the actual price is $90 (or even $80 if you managed to catch a brief sale window like me).

I just launched it to test, and not only can you lock on with both dual stick and gyro, but you can also still aim around while locking on if you so wish.
Actually, the number of control options (from within the game : the title menu options are barebones) is astounding.

But all this is accessory:
I am finally gonna play @CraigM favorite game of all time!

That’s what I wanted to hear! In the originals you could free aim while locked as well but with gyro I can imagine that working really well. Glad to hear there are loads of options!

Well hello $45 Nintendo games, thank you for this additional idea.

Yeah, I know it’s not how the industry works, but that series should just live and die with the DS.

I just saw a post on Twitter that reminded me of your comment, but the Metroid Prime Remaster that dropped digitally last night is get a physical version launching on Feb 22nd, so it does happen.

Okay watching some videos and getting a sense of the improvements (definitely a “remaster”, not just “HD”), I’m coming to terms with the price. More than I was expecting, but I can understand why.

I guess now I can just complain that with this level of work, I doubt we’ll see remasters of the second or third games any time soon. I found a way to still grumble, hooray! 😁

But seriously yeah, this looks better than I expected.

Did that Disney 2D platformer look pretty awesome to anyone else? I just don’t know how to judge the quality of 2D platformers though. I’m assuming the 2D Mario games are considered excellent by people, even though I just can’t get on with them at all (including the latest one that was a Wii U port). But I just absolutely love other ones like the Ori games and Hollow Knight, since they aren’t as difficult for me as the Mario games. This one sure looked very good in the video, at least. Mickey and Donald and Goofy, I think?

I think the only real way to judge is to play it and see how it feels to you. The New Super Mario Bros games have never felt right to me in how they control so even though I’ve played several they’ve never really hooked me. Especially interesting considering all the recent 3D Mario games have felt great.

Yeah, I remember loving the first one on GameCube, though I never got around to buying the second. No idea how well it would hold up these days, but I’m glad that more people will get a chance to try it.

Probably depends on why you’re burning out. As you progress further in each one, you’ll see more complex labyrinths and encounters, and there’s a definite satisfaction to seeing your characters’ builds come together with a wider range of skills. But if you’re just tired of exploring/mapping/fighting, nothing gets dramatically upended as you press further.

Geez, that seems overly harsh. I agree that it’s an amazing fit between hardware and software, but once that hardware is gone, I’d rather see the series adapt to that reality than just die with it. There’s a lot more that makes the games enjoyable than just the mapping mechanic.

Looks solid to me. I got a lot of Rayman Origins / Legends vibes from the trailer, and this looks like a nice friendly game to play with the kids.

Agreed! Rayman Origins / Legends is exactly what was coming to mind.

Every time I see that game using the older character variants I think “Ah, so this is how Disney will try to justify extending copyright” and it takes something away for me.

Ok, switch experts:

I have two switches (primary and secondary) and online family account with expansion pack.

My daughter bought Splatoon 3 (digital) on her account. Now she wants to buy the expansion pass (well, she wants to pre-order it).

I have some credit already on my account, which I’d like to use to buy the expansion pass. But I’ve got four questions:

1. Is there any way to buy it on her account using the eShop credit on my account? That would be best.

2. If not, is it going to be a problem that her account owns the game and my account owns the expansion? Will it even let me do that?

3. If I buy the expansion on my account, will she be able to get the pre-order bonus on her account?

4. We also have a physical cartridge for playing on the 2nd switch. Will we be able to use the expansion with that? (I suspect the answer is no, as we recently realized we can’t play the Mario Kart dlc tracks on the 2nd switch, which sucks).

Oh, my account is the primary account.

There should be zero problem there.
Unlike the MS Store also, the nintendo shop wont let you purchase stuff you can’t use on your current console in my experience anyway.

That’s strange. I am part of a friend’s family for the Nintendo online and expansion, and have access to it. I bought the base game, which should count as owning the cartridge.

If you have Switch Online + Expanson Pass, you should get the Mario Kart DLC through that? Maybe try using it that way on the second Switch?

I’ll have to go back and check, but I think what might have happened is we put the Mario Kart cartridge into the 2nd switch, and started up the game using my daughter’s account, since that’s where we’ve unlocked everything, and it wouldn’t let us use the expansion tracks. I don’t remember if we tried it on my account. Ugh, thanks Nintendo.