Nintendo Switch

Picture me, then. I mean, I’m not an absolutist about it. I’ve taken the joycons out for multiplayer. But for my own use, I’d be entirely happy with a smaller one-piece handheld.

I’m kind of happy that it can’t be docked to a TV. Otherwise I might be tempted to buy it!

Seems like a great option for kids, a replacement of the 2DS in a way. And convenient that it’s a downgrade instead of a “side”-grade.

But that’s my point: not that people don’t use it that way, but that there’s not a sizable market of people who would use it the way you do but have held off on buying just because they don’t realize they can do that.

They’ve been put off by the fact it’s £300.

They’re posting all over the Internet and easy to find. The speculation thread on this thing was miles long at ResetEra. People were clamoring for it.

You guys are obviously comfortable with the original device. Many people were not. In fact, I’m pretty sure the original Switch pissed them off. “Why can’t they just make a traditional console?!” “Why can’t I just get a traditional handheld?!” Has it really been that long that you can’t remember the outcry?

Here’s the original thread

It’s right there in @Woodlance first post. Sure, some people were won over as time went by, but many people still think exactly like that.

I understand that when it comes to pricing my protests become completely speculative/wishful, but as I fantasized above, I think they could hit a $200 price now without compromising on existing features.

Even if they could, that’s not what a lot of people wanted.

They’re Conservative and the Switch is too Liberal for them. Like, that’s honestly the best way to describe it. They don’t want options. They want one specific option that tells them exactly how to use the device and limits them very specifically.

Why would Nintendo limit their margins by selling regular switches for $200 instead of giving people a $200 and a slightly superior $300 option?

To think the $200 version won’t sell is pretty naive and neglects Nintendo’s history with the DS line.

Not to mention that just like the 3ds -> 2ds one of the big aspects of this switch mini is to reduce moving parts to make it more palatable for parents to get one for kids.

That may not be the best way to describe it to a conservative. 😁

So @Mike_Cathcart told me he’s pissed because Cloud Saves and transferring and PokĂ©mon and Animal Crossing and all that won’t work or won’t be easy if it does, but I don’t really care about that too much so I may buy one of these just for the smaller form factor and portability of it.

On the other hand, I hate that it takes away the ease of screen rotation and usage with the Flip Grip.

Also, the rumor mill says there’s a “Pro” Switch coming that upgrades all the insides and maybe has a bigger screen and better Tegra processor, etc. That will probably replace the current $299 model if I had to guess.

Is there any actual information on this being different from the current system? Or is he just talking about the existing system being somewhat awkward?

Heh
 I know you are, but doesn’t that make sense? Conservative folks don’t want things to change. The Switch Lite is how portable gaming used to be. It’s the conservative screen and buttons setup. Now, you have some liberalism in you or you wouldn’t have taken a chance on the Switch in the first place, and once you embraced it you see the conservative option for you to be a cut down version of the same thing.

Many never made it that far.

He’ll be along to explain it now that I called his ass out, I’m sure. :)

I think it’s because for PokĂ©mon the save is locked to the device and it’s likely that Animal Crossing works the same. Most games can save in the cloud but I don’t think PokĂ©mon allows that. Cheating protection.

Ah, gotcha. I think Splatoon does the same thing? I assume account transfers should work, but cloud saves don’t? I haven’t really played any online games on Switch, on account of my mostly portable-only/no wifi usage.

I really hope Nintendo have fixed the drifting issues with the Joycon sticks for the Switch Lite. If not, there are going to be a bunch of unhappy folks in 6 months, when their new Switch Lite thumb sticks fail.

My Switch has spent probably a grand total of about 25 minutes docked, so this would have been perfect for me; if I didn’t already have a Switch. I wanted a handheld for the couch/bed, and it’s been perfect for that.

Right. I forgot about Splatoon 2. I think that has a similar save issue. Account transfers that move everything should probably work, but I doubt you can do that regularly?

These aren’t deal breakers for me. To be honest, the Lite is probably a fine option for one or more of my kids because they’ve always played portable except when playing Breath of the Wild and getting them their own device might be a good Christmas option for me.

@Clay I suspect the sticks and that d-pad will be really good and not have that problem.

@anonymgeist I have a co-worker who bought one for PokĂ©mon last fall. The only time she docked it was when she was cat sitting at my house. She was blown away by stuff in Breath of the Wild she couldn’t see on the small screen. She still only plays portable post-blowing away. @WhollySchmidt That seems to be rather normal usage.

I think people need to think of Switch Light as somebody’s first Switch. Folks here are trying to approach this as a secondary device for people who already own one. Obviously it’s not going to be great in that scenario but you’re not Nintendo’s target market, just like how 3DS owners weren’t the target market of the 2DS.

We’re making this way the f*** too complicated.

Switch Lite — smaller, doesn’t hook to TV. Only $200.

You know, for kids.

They will sell a bazillion during Christmas season.