Nintendo Switch

Can those be purchased separately, or do you have to subscribe to some service?

It comes with Nintendo Online service, which is $20 per year. You can’t buy them separately for Switch

I didn’t care about NES games at all, but I had to have cloud saves and the Tetris 99 game was sweet. Plus, you know, online gaming.

The SNES library interests me more. I might actually play thru LttP because I’ve never played it. And a couple others, like F Zero will be interesting for a play or two

You can get a year of the service for free if you have Amazon Prime, too.

I have online service and access to the NES games but it’s trying to charge me 3.99 monthly for the SNES thing. Is this correct or am I missing something?

This isn’t correct by any mean.

Ha! Went back and if you go to the Online selection down the left side of the store menu you can download it there. If you try to get it in the main part of the store with all the other games like I did at first it shows that it costs 3.99

Nintendo told Business Insider that while there are still plans to keep adding NES and SNES titles to the Switch Online catalog it will no longer be a monthly release schedule.

They probably mean a weekly schedule from now on!
Half-full, and spilling it all over the table.

Ha! They did at least say there will be more to come.

I think they painted themselves into a weird corner with the way they’re just an extra part of the online service. There are probably a lot of people paying for it and have no idea they can even play these games or that more are being added.

There are a fair number of games that were on the Virtual Store that I’d really love to have on Switch (especially the ones I paid for on the Wii), but even so, my kids do spend time playing around with some of the old NES games. The library of games on the Switch is massive enough at this point, though, that they’re never have a lack of good “new” games to play.

If they would stop adding ‘special’ editions as new I’d be happy. I think there are 3 versions of Gradius (1 regular and 2 special). Not a huge deal really, but kind of silly.

Thanks for the detailed response!

But for someone like me who does know about them they will play a huge role in my decision to renew my online subscription or not. I’m not actually playing online multiplayer on my Switch so these games are about the only thing I’m making use of.

I actually enjoy those variations, either because they let you having a blast without the built-up necessary to enjoy the games, or because they change it enough with the sort of attention I enjoy in the Sega Ages.

Honestly I haven’t tried them as they seemed like minor variations. But if they do add something a hit more substantial then that would seem a valid reason for the different editions.

I figure if you’re planning on buying two full-price Switch games on eShop in a year (which I do), then online more than pays for itself with the game vouchers.

Are those going to be a repeating thing?

Oh yeah I didn’t realise the Game Vouchers are no longer offered in the US. Weird.

They’re still available in EU/AU as ‘exclusive offers for members’, with no mention of it being limited time thing.

So after two and a half years of testing my self-regulation, I finally decided it was time to get a Switch. For those of you living in Canada and who use then Optimum/PC points app, they have a deal where if you spend $400 by Oct 31 you get 100,000 points and every weekend (almost) they have a deal where you get 20x points on purchases over $100. So today I paid $451 with tax and got 220,000 points back which brings the cost of the Switch down to a paltry $230 Cdn! Anyways, I think I should be getting a screen protector (shouldn’t I?). What’s the best I can get on Amazon?